CX-5 Refresh

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

Any idea when Mazda will come out with a redesign/refresh of their current CX-5? I currently have a 2017, and love it, but would definitely be interested in seeing what Mazda comes up with.

Anyone have any ideas? What is their typical (or has been) refresh cycle?

Thanks!

I'm curious also.

All I've seen is some speculation that changes may mirror those in the Mazda sedan that was most recently updated

I am very curious to see if they keep the 2.5 liter gas engine with cylinder deactivation for 2020 or,
drop that engine all together and just use the turbo and diesel ?

I'm coming from a 2017 Honda Civic sedan touring. I'm starting to investigate for my next car. So far the Mazda CX-5 GTR is the clear favorite.

I like the size and appearance. I like the fact that it has a turbo. The interior is nice.

But I would love to see a refresh - especially a technology refresh.

The head unit display size is supposed to be 7 inch, but it definitely appears smaller than my Honda 7 inch display.

My Honda will pretty much steer itself when using "Lane Keeping Assist". I've read that the CX-5 has a "Lane Trace Mode" for LAS which keeps the car centered in its Lane, but people say it's very subdued.

It has emergency automatic braking and pedestrian breaking, but the description seems to be loaded with disclaimers and "yeah buts". This could be enhanced or maybe just described properly.

Any car that has push-button start should have remote start built-in, using the default key fob, as standard.

The key fob looks like it's too easy to pocket press the buttons. I see complaints that people are frequently coming outside and finding their lift gates open.

I don't see the point of a power rear lift gate unless it has "hands-free" capability.

I've read that the tires are noisy and too narrow which helps to increase stopping distance.

What would others like to see in a refresh?

Barry.

I'm coming from a 2017 Honda Civic sedan touring. I'm starting to investigate for my next car. So far the Mazda CX-5 GTR is the clear favorite.

I like the size and appearance. I like the fact that it has a turbo. The interior is nice.

But I would love to see a refresh - especially a technology refresh.

The head unit display size is supposed to be 7 inch, but it definitely appears smaller than my Honda 7 inch display.

My Honda will pretty much steer itself when using "Lane Keeping Assist". I've read that the CX-5 has a "Lane Trace Mode" for LAS which keeps the car centered in its Lane, but people say it's very subdued.

It has emergency automatic braking and pedestrian breaking, but the description seems to be loaded with disclaimers and "yeah buts". This could be enhanced or maybe just described properly.

Any car that has push-button start should have remote start built-in, using the default key fob, as standard.

The key fob looks like it's too easy to pocket press the buttons. I see complaints that people are frequently coming outside and finding their lift gates open.

I don't see the point of a power rear lift gate unless it has "hands-free" capability.

I've read that the tires are noisy and too narrow which helps to increase stopping distance.

What would others like to see in a refresh?

Barry.

The tires suck. This isn't unique to Mazda though. The width is fine, as is the handling. With a wider tire youd lose capability in rain and snow, and get worse mpg, for the advantage of higher side loading capacity in corners. A bad trade considering it performs in line with its class as is.

Agreed on lift gate.

Key fob isnt an issue. Do agree on remote start.

Of course auto braking is full of disclaimers. Imagine the lawsuits! It works fine thiugh.

Lane assist is a bit meh.

HUD makes up for nav screen.

The refresh could be a larger nav screen, and a performance trim level, Mazda speed, which would have wider tires, larger turbo, stiffer roll bars, and so forth, but Mazda isnt going that direction, so I'd settle for pano roof, hands free lift gate, remote start standard, and a 8-9" nav.

I hope the 2020 model brings with it the new mazda3 infotainment. It looks faster and the screen looks sharper. The new gen connected needs to add some other stuff too. I would also like to see HUD support with CarPlay, because built in navigation is useless for me because of traffic. I also wish there was a easier way to switched between bluetooth devices, maybe based on the memory seat control.

I noticed that the new Mazda 3 only had SBS that braked in low and high speeds and also detected bicycles. I asked Mazda what the difference was between the 2019 3 and the CX 5. Here is there response:

"Your CX5 has the Smart city brake support but not the updated version that is in the 2019 Mazda 3. The difference between your CX5 and the 2019 Mazda 3 is the refinement of the system with better pedestrian detection. Your CX has the ability to detect pedestrians but not the same as the Advanced smart city brake support in the Mazda 3. The new 2019 Mazda 3 is a complete new platform and the Advanced smart city brake support was reworked specifically for this vehicle, and will be in our future vehicles. The comparison way to explain is your CX5 has SCBS for in city and SBS for highway speeds. The system for the 2019 Mazda 3 has SBS, SBS-R, SBS-RC all as part of the same system."[/COLOR]

What I hope to see:

-A new transmission with more gears
-Updated Infotainment seen in Mazda3
-LED turn signals
-A better rear backup camera

No, it's not. I looked up what the current keyfob is and I don't think that's an actual issue outside of a few people who probably have stuff in their pockets hitting the buttons.

I've had my CX-5 for over 6 years now, and I have never, ever had a button accidentally pressed while in my pocket. Ever. The only difference between my fob and the new ones is that the new ones have an additional button for the rear lift-gate.

ok, thx

As to what I'd like to see:

- a better integrated display instead of that thing sticking up like an ipad glued to the dash - I saw a BMW sedan the other day where it was all nicely integrated

- in the intermtn. west you cannot have a fuel tank that is too big, so... yes on that

I'll leave out things like fully autonomous driving on the freeways, and a moron detector for other drivers...

My predictions for the facelift (not necessarily the 2020 model unless they come together).....

Forget a bigger fuel tank - thats as big as they can get in the space straddling the drive shaft.

Key fob from the 3

Steering wheel from the 3

infotainment from the 3

New touch sensitive door handles from the CX30

Keyless back door - doubt it. Im quite capable of pressing a button let alone lifting the back door but I guess it suites little old ladies and weaklings.

LED indicators possibly integrated with new DRLs - as the 3 and the CX30

Stronger lane keep assist??? Itll be send CX5 alone to McDonalds for some more cellulite while I sit watching TV on the sofa next.

New transmission - no, not until the powertrain changes and then it will probably be CVT so be careful what you wish for.

Attached are a couple of PDFs from the CX30 with new features.......

Attachments

• FRONT COMBINATION LIGHT E.pdf
    284.2 KB · Views: 309
  • REAR COMBINATION LIGHT.pdf
    286.6 KB · Views: 339
  • ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM E.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 467
  • REMOTE TRANSMITTER E.pdf
    156.1 KB · Views: 285
  • TOUCH SENSOR.pdf
    195 KB · Views: 306
Oh yes, Ive seen requests for TPMS that measures and displays pressure. Well the new one does. Look under Maintenance Details/Tyre Pressures..........

Attachments

• CENTER DISPLAY E.pdf
    483.9 KB · Views: 314
Back