CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

That's too bad - they provided me with fast service and a low price.

I wonder what happened?

I know, me too!

Where can I order Mazda oil online? The only other place I found is mazdaparts.org or amazon.com.

I know, me too!

Where can I order Mazda oil online? The only other place I found is mazdaparts.org or amazon.com.

Actually... Med Center or Mazdaparts.org was cheaper than that site. Order three kits and get free shipping as well.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-moly-oil.html

Their price has increased about $5 for the kit so you either get it there or obtain special pricing from your local dealer.

I ordered three kits last month.

You are not likely to find cheaper online.

Actually... Med Center or Mazdaparts.org was cheaper than that site. Order three kits and get free shipping as well.

Their price has increased about $5 for the kit so you either get it there or obtain special pricing from your local dealer.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered my 1st oil change package from Med Center. $60 shipped to me for 5 quarts of Moly + oil filter + plug washer is a pretty good deal. Cheaper than my dealer and I'll have my friend change the oil next time I go see him in his auto shop.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered my 1st oil change package from Med Center. $60 shipped to me for 5 quarts of Moly + oil filter + plug washer is a pretty good deal. Cheaper than my dealer and I'll have my friend change the oil next time I go see him in his auto shop.
Yeah, it did have price increase to $44.55 at Med Center Mazda for oil change kit since several weeks ago. It used to be $39.32. I guess these moly oils can't escape the inflation although the oil price is low. You'll notice the food price is going up significantly too recently if you go to supermarkets and restaurants often!

I ordered 3 sets of oil change kit in May just to avoid expensive shipping, ~$20 I believe?

Yeah, it did have price increase to $44.55 at Med Center Mazda for oil change kit since several weeks ago. It used to be $39.32. I guess these moly oils can't escape the inflation although the oil price is low. You'll notice the food price is going up significantly too recently if you go to supermarkets and restaurants often!

I ordered 3 sets of oil change kit in May just to avoid expensive shipping, ~$20 I believe?

Shipping is $15.84. Not cheap but still a good deal compared to my dealer.

Shipping has gone back down.

Free Shipping!!!! Med Center Mazda Parts Department is offering Free Shipping on all orders over $100.00

Nice!!! Good heads up!!! I've got one more moly kit so will order more in a couple months.

see here: https://howtune.com/articles/370-change-the-oil-on-a-2016-mazda-cx-5

Pre-fill the new filter with oil using a funnel and moisten the rubber contact gasket with oil. This procedure helps prevent a temporary dry start during the initial startup,

anyone else does this ? pre-fill new filter with new oil ? interesting, in my previous car the oil filter spun on horizontally so I couldn't do this, but with the CX-5, it's spun on like a cup, so it's possible to pre-fill but not sure if it really does anything and it's just a waste of time ? I've seen tons of shops that don't prefill

Pre-fill the new filter with oil using a funnel

see here: https://howtune.com/articles/370-change-the-oil-on-a-2016-mazda-cx-5

Pre-fill the new filter with oil using a funnel and moisten the rubber contact gasket with oil. This procedure helps prevent a temporary dry start during the initial startup,

anyone else does this ? pre-fill new filter with new oil ? interesting, in my previous car the oil filter spun on horizontally so I couldn't do this, but with the CX-5, it's spun on like a cup, so it's possible to pre-fill but not sure if it really does anything and it's just a waste of time ? I've seen tons of shops that don't prefill
It may help the oil pump filling up new oil filter a second faster than leave the new oil filter empty. I may do it if I remember it but I believe that is something too little to worry about. To me using the Mazda moly oil and OEM oil filter are more beneficial than that. :)

update, please disregard, found a Mazda dealer that sells the whole set genuine Mazda parts: oil, crush washer and filter :

recommended oil change every 5,000 -7,500 miles

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
That's the eBay ads from our sponsor - Med Center Mazda. You can click Kedis82ZE8's signature above to get to the Mazda moly oil change kit directly at Med Center Mazda website.

I always fill the filter before spinning on. The most engine bearing wear occurs at startup when you have metal to metal motion without oil pressure creating a film of oil between the metals. This is one reason that engines that are never turned off run so long (long haul truckers, stationary engines etc.)

Maybe somebody asked this but what size tools did you need? The Alan key part was so big I didn't have the tools necessary for it.

Looks like an 8mm hex from my googling. My CX-5 only has 75 miles, so I haven't needed to get under it yet :)

just did my first oil change, and agreed with other CX-5 owners : the easiest oil job ever.
one question, did anyone do this without ramps ? I tried but there wasn't enough space for me....

only hiccup was I had a very hard time getting the old aluminum crush washer off the drain plug flange, it was really stuck on there, I had to use an xacto knife blade to separate the old crush washer from the drain plug.

note: I can easily see for any first timer to think that there is no crush washer or if they lost the crush washer when it's actually there stuck on the plug flange, I thought the same thing it looked like one piece and the crush washer was missing, but when I compared the new crush washer supplied by Med center Mazda versus the drain plug, I can clearly see the crush washer stuck on there. I used a miniature flat blade screwdriver but that didn't work so I used an Xacto knife to get that damn thing off. I hope no one doubled up on the crush washers thinking the original crush washer was part of the drain plug.

everything was exactly as other posters have said, drain plug is a 8mm hex socket type, so you'll need an 8mm allen key to loosen the plug, and make sure it is inserted all the way into the drain plug before turning. I recommend using a high quality high torque type, don't use those you find at dollar stores, I brought mine from McMaster, it is very high quality made by Wera Tools

McMaster p/n 57185A28 $2.54
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57185a28/=14t9trr
2ptxq8g.jpg

Also, I used Lisle 63600 oil filter tool, highly recommend this, it's idiot proof, only works one way (allows you to loosen only, when installing new filter, hand tighten only don't use wrench) https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
2aj7xw9.jpg

like others, I decided to stick with what came with the car and use Mazda moly oil bought from our forum sponsor Med Mazda sold as a set: 5 qt. 0W-20 moly oil, Mazda oil filter, and crush washer

not sure if it matters, but I also pre-filled the new filter with new oil just to make sure when I re-start car there's no oil flow void....
1ush.jpg

with regards to crush washer, I noticed there was a smooth stamped side and a sharp edge burr side due to the stamping process, I made sure the smooth side is up against the oil tank to prevent scratching /rusting
zjh6bb.jpg

for those interested, here are the p/n's off the packing list:
oil filter : PE01-14-302A
crush washer: 9956-41-400

Last edited:
Back