CX-5 MPG with Turbo vs NA?

The EPA MPG ratings for 2.2L diesel CX-5 AWD (28/31/29 city/hwy/combined) definitely are lower than your real world experience. On the other hand your mpg’s on 2.2L diesel CX-5 are still lower than those diesel CX-5’s in other countries, especially the highway mpg.
It has the same performance as the 2.0 did, but with better towing and more parts to break.

I've seen as high as 31 mpg with the 2.5T on the rural-y/suburban driving to and from my wife's job. Some easy hills to coast down and I have to override the cruise control so it doesnt apply the brakes after crossing 2mph over my set speed.

Very impressed!

Op here. I'm amazed at some of the mpg #s coming from the turbos out there! We've never seen better than 24 from our 19 Signature.

I'm still considering getting out of my Outback and another CX5 (prob non-turbo) is at the top of my list. Had our (wife's) turbo for some errands yesterday and geez I just love driving the car. I also am in tune with how all the controls work, driving and using the car just seems so intuitive to me. It's also so tight, no creaks and rattles everywhere - just seems so "upscale".

2019 CX-5 Turbo, Signature

Mileage approx 7300
Last 102 miles, 18.0 mpg average

Weight and mod considerations:
Trailer hitch
Corksport Short ram Intake
Corksport Oil Catch Can
Corksport FMIC and piping kit
Corksport aluminum skid plate
Husky floor mats
Weather tech cargo liner with bumper protector
Nitrogen filled stock tires
4lb fire extinguisher
10lb of miscellaneous items
Usu have the heated seats on max and steering wheel heat on OR AC at low and 70-80% power

Daily commute is basically maintenance schedule 2 (oil change every 5k miles), with multiple short trips. I.e. 5 short highway trips (ranging from 4.1-10 miles per trip) and some uphill drives. I never use cruise control.

I've been trying my best to drive conservatively with slow accelerations, coasting, sport mode off, and automatic drive.

Gas: 91 shell

I'm thinking that the short ram intake and fmic may be contributing to the loss in fuel economy (but gain in perceived power).

I give up, I don't think I can get it up to 20 mpg given my circumstances - oh well it's fun to drive #yolo haha 😅🔥

Last edited:

Mileage approx 7300

Corksport Oil Catch Can
Husky floor mats
4lb fire extinguisher
Usu have the heated seats on max and steering wheel heat on OR AC at low and 70-80% power

Daily commute is basically maintenance schedule 2 (oil change every 5k miles), with multiple short trips. I.e. 5 short highway trips (ranging from 4.1-10 miles per trip) and some uphill drives. I never use cruise control.

I've been trying my best to drive conservatively with slow accelerations, coasting, sport mode off, and automatic drive.

I'm thinking that the short ram intake and fmic may be contributing to the loss in fuel economy (but gain in perceived power).

I give up, I don't think I can get it up to 20 mpg given my circumstances - oh well it's fun to drive #yolo haha 😅🔥

Try accelerating up to speed a little more aggressively. I get slightly better mileage in my 2.5T CX-9 when I'm not "taking it easy".

Mileage approx 7300

Trailer hitch
Corksport Oil Catch Can
Husky floor mats
4lb fire extinguisher

Try accelerating up to speed a little more aggressively. I get slightly better mileage in my 2.5T CX-9 when I'm not "taking it easy".
IMO if Catch22 has already tried all he could to “drive conservatively with slow accelerations, coasting, sport mode off, and automatic drive”, his 18.0 mpg average will be staying with him forever unless he somehow find the true culprit of fuel consumption issue of the 2.5T on his CX-5 Sig. The culprit could be some engine efficiency issue inherited from factory as not all engines are created equal from factory. My 2016 CX-5 2.5L AWD can never get over 29 mpg on the highway unless I drive under 65 mph. I don’t believe that the fuel economy will improve after the engine has broken in. I have never had such experience that my newly purchased vehicles have any MPG improvement after certain miles unless I did something including changing the fuel brand. The MPG will be the same since new, and is gradually getting worse with engine wear from more miles accumulated.

I'm seriously considering engine treatment products like Mystery Marvel or RVS G4 - It's worth a shot. Some reviewers claim better fuel economy after such treatments lol

I'm seriously considering engine treatment products like Mystery Marvel or RVS G4 - It's worth a shot. Some reviewers claim better fuel economy after such treatments lol
Your 2.5T is almost brand new at 7,300 miles. Your engine don’t need any treatments nor these treatments can improve your MPG.

If I were you, I’d take the CX-5 to the Mazda dealer for a full check-up due to the very poor fuel economy. The problem is they’ll blame everything on the engine mod. I’d never consider any mods when the car is having factory warranty.

IMO if Catch22 has already tried all he could to “drive conservatively with slow accelerations, coasting, sport mode off, and automatic drive”, his 18.0 mpg average will be staying with him forever unless he somehow find the true culprit of fuel consumption issue of the 2.5T on his CX-5 Sig. The culprit could be some engine efficiency issue inherited from factory as not all engines are created equal from factory. My 2016 CX-5 2.5L AWD can never get over 29 mpg on the highway unless I drive under 65 mph. I don’t believe that the fuel economy will improve after the engine has broken in. I have never had such experience that my newly purchased vehicles have any MPG improvement after certain miles unless I did something including changing the fuel brand. The MPG will be the same since new, and is gradually getting worse with engine wear from more miles accumulated.

I'm not talking about engine break-in or anything like that. I simply suggested accelerating a little more aggressively to get up to speed faster, based on my experience with my car that has the same engine. It's a very simple thing to try for a tank or two of gas. It could indeed be a manufacturer's defect, so I agree that the issue should be raised with the dealer.

MMO is cheap enough to try if you have a few bucks to burn, but I wouldn't expect any miracles lol. That said, the manual does state that oil additives should never be used, FWIW.

Btw, I don't have the FMIC mod but I do have the air intake mod on my 2.5T. I didn't see any significant difference in mileage with the CS intake installed vs. stock. But I did see a difference when I installed a throttle controller and found myself accelerating a little more aggressively than I used to. That's what I based my suggestion to you on.

MMO is cheap enough to try if you have a few bucks to burn, but I wouldn't expect any miracles lol. That said, the manual does state that oil additives should never be used, FWIW.
MMO is a good light lubricant for many uses but for auto engines it’s, well, snake oil I can probably find online reviews stating that adding raw peanuts to your gas tank increases mileage, but then I don’t believe everything I watch on YouTube - the reviewers usually have no skin in the game and don’t know how to scientifically test anything. Modern engines and oils go best together without additives; suggesting that someone else add them is fine as long as it isn’t your engine at risk....

Interestingly, I reset my Ultragauge and dash trip/Avg mpg, and Ultragauge is showing about 0.9-1 higher mpg than the dash - that being said, it's only been about 5 miles

I've never really played with the settings, but I know Ultragauge has parameters for the update time on the mpg average. When I watch it and the dash computer at the same time I notice they usually don't agree very closely.

I've compared my dash readout and my calculated fuel consumption over several thousand miles. The urban drives difference is ~ 0.7 mph in favor of the dash readout and the highway readout is lower than the calculated value. The dash read out is so close that I don't calculate my millage anymore. It is easy to screw up if you only use one or two tankfuls since the pumps shut off at different settings. I usually check my calculations ofer 4 to 5 tank fulls. The dash readup is surprisingly accurate. Ed

For the first time since owning (18 months now) my 2019 signature AWD, I managed 26.1 mpg on a recent trip (mostly highway). I was very pleased with that.

With my 2018 GT AWD (2.5 L NA engine), I get between 9.0 to 9.5 L/100 km (26.1 to 24.8 mpg) and I drive 85% city.

On a recent road trip I hit 7.0 L/100 km (33.6 mpg). This was on a windy highway, called the sea to sky Highway in BC, Canada and I didn't use cruise control at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_190501436.jpg
    PXL_20210415_190501436.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 108
I’ve been driving manual to ensure shifting occurs around 2000 rpm and my mpg is going up - I’ve noticed that when I’m automatic, and when going up hills or pressing the accelerator a little too much, shifting doesn’t occur until 3000 rpm, and this is with sport mode off

maybe my ecu needs to be reflagged or re-tunes

also I bought the car certified Pre-owned, so not brand new

I’ve been driving manual to ensure shifting occurs around 2000 rpm and my mpg is going up - I’ve noticed that when I’m automatic, and when going up hills or pressing the accelerator a little too much, shifting doesn’t occur until 3000 rpm, and this is with sport mode off

maybe my ecu needs to be reflagged or re-tunes

also I bought the car certified Pre-owned, so not brand new

If you wanted, you could disconnect the battery for 15 mins, then reconnect it. This should get the ECU to reset and relearn your driving patterns.

Back