2013~2016 CX-5 - Melting Taillight Lens

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi everyone (my first time posting on the forums!). I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT. Look forward to connect with everyone here :)

Today I found that my driver side taillight (on the trunk) looks like it melted. It's a bit soft to the touch... I've owned a few vehicles before, but this is the first time I've ever seen a problem like this... what could be the cause of this? See photos below.

Just wanted to note that a few weeks ago I replaced the driver side taillight bulb socket as well as a new lightbulb. The socket itself had burn marks around the plastic near the contact. Something seems to be getting it really hot for some reason, but I'm not sure if this is directly related to the melting of the taillight. But I'm wondering if there is some electrical issue causing overheating.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo5163875468615723004.jpg
    photo5163875468615723004.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 366
  • photo5163875468615723005.jpg
    photo5163875468615723005.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 371
  • photo5163875468615723006.jpg
    photo5163875468615723006.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
First, check your voltage at the socket and also across the battery.

Also make sure your brake lights aren't staying on, like a sticking brake light switch or something...

That's disturbing! As others are suggesting, check with a voltmeter and also visually checking the lights as to how they are working. I'd also suggest inspecting the socket and wiring. There could be something causing a short or arcing, resulting in excessive heat. Also, not sure if you are the original owner or not, but any possibility that there's an incorrectly rated/sized replacement bulb put in there? That could possibly result in excessive heat as well.

Last edited:
Appreciate the replies everyone. I'll take a look at it after work and see underneath the cover on the hatch side to see if there's any contact with other wires, etc.

I'll stop by Mazda this week and see what they say about this, it might be covered under warranty. I wonder how much the replacement taillight is now?!

RJCarrington - I'm not the original owner, bought this vehicle about 1.5 years ago from an off-lease at a Mazda dealer.

RJCarrington - I'm not the original owner, bought this vehicle about 1.5 years ago from an off-lease at a Mazda dealer.

Ah, if it was that long ago and you've only recently noticed this, probably not then a wrong sized/spec'd bulb (that probably would have caused trouble sooner from too much heat).

I hope it is something simple and easily fixed. FYI eBay often has a good number of used taillight assemblies at a decent price from wrecked/salvaged vehicles, if your dealer won't cover the expense.

Appreciate the replies everyone. I'll take a look at it after work and see underneath the cover on the hatch side to see if there's any contact with other wires, etc.

I'll stop by Mazda this week and see what they say about this, it might be covered under warranty. I wonder how much the replacement taillight is now?!

If I remember it correctly non-LED tail light on the liftgate has only one bulb on your 2015 GT, the back-up light, and the red portion has only reflector. My guess is someone may use the heat gun or something which is hot getting close to the area to melt your tail light lens.

If the red portion does have a light bulb then we may suspect that there's wiring issue which created high resistance and heat.

If I remember it correctly non-LED tail light on the liftgate has only one bulb on your 2015 GT, the back-up light, and the red portion has only reflector. My guess is someone may use the heat gun or something which is hot getting close to the area to melt your tail light lens.

If the red portion does have a light bulb then we may suspect that there's wiring issue which created high resistance and heat.
Another possibility is some chemical dropped on the lens because you said "it's a bit soft to the touch...". If the melting is caused by the heat, the lens should get hardened once it cools down.

Definitely looks melted.Has the liftgate been left raised indoors where it would be very close to a hot light bulb or other hot object? If the plastic is still soft it sounds like chemical related as mentioned above.

Definitely looks melted.Has the liftgate been left raised indoors where it would be very close to a hot light bulb or other hot object? If the plastic is still soft it sounds like chemical related as mentioned above.

Normally my car is parked in a condo underground parking garage at home, but I went somewhere for the weekend and it was parked outside all weekend (although in a slightly "sketchy" part of town), but I'm not sure why someone would intentionally vandalize a taillight with chemicals, heat gun, or magnifying glass under sun. It wasn't near any hot objects either.

RIP. Maybe a window reflected light on it just right for a long period or something. At least those are easy/cheap to replace on ebay

Another possibility is some chemical dropped on the lens because you said "it's a bit soft to the touch...". If the melting is caused by the heat, the lens should get hardened once it cools down.

+1

I vote for incorrect bulb or light stuck on. I find it doubtful that someone would vandalize one tail light, or that a chemical would affect the tail light lens without discoloring it or damaging the paint.

The more I use my Mazda, the more it seems that so called Premium quality is not skin deep. This could be another example. I have found 5-6 examples where it feels and functions cheaper than a Kia.

I vote for incorrect bulb or light stuck on. I find it doubtful that someone would vandalize one tail light, or that a chemical would affect the tail light lens without discoloring it or damaging the paint.
But for that part of tail light on liftgate, there's no bulb for it, only red reflector.

The more I use my Mazda, the more it seems that so called Premium quality is not skin deep. This could be another example. I have found 5-6 examples where it feels and functions cheaper than a Kia.
??? If you meant "that so called Premium quality is only skin deep", I agree.

Hi everyone (my first time posting on the forums!). I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT. Look forward to connect with everyone here :)

Today I found that my driver side taillight (on the trunk) looks like it melted. It's a bit soft to the touch... I've owned a few vehicles before, but this is the first time I've ever seen a problem like this... what could be the cause of this? See photos below.

Just wanted to note that a few weeks ago I replaced the driver side taillight bulb socket as well as a new lightbulb. The socket itself had burn marks around the plastic near the contact. Something seems to be getting it really hot for some reason, but I'm not sure if this is directly related to the melting of the taillight. But I'm wondering if there is some electrical issue causing overheating.

Thanks in advance.

To me it was an incorrect bulb or a short generating a lot of heat. I would hope that the fuse would blow if it was a short. Do you have a trailer hitch on your car?

To me it was an incorrect bulb or a short generating a lot of heat. I would hope that the fuse would blow if it was a short. Do you have a trailer hitch on your car?
Again, for the red part of liftgate taillight which is melted, there's no incandescent bulb for it, only reflector.

I'm really curious to see if the actual cause here can be determined--kinda fascinating. If there's no bulb directly under that area as yrwei52 states, the mystery deepens. Not a forensic analyst by any means :), so I can't give any input if the visual appearance of the "melt" suggests an internal source, or external. But, it does seem to be something with more focused heat or chemical reaction, given the circular and relatively small appearance. My vote is for alien laser beam....:p

Oh, and I meant to mention that there are many reports "out there" of melted rear lenses for all the various reasons this thread has surmised about, including other Mazdas (a lot of Mazda3 stories, apparently). Commonly seems to be a problem which causes the brake lights to stay on and the built-up heat eventually damages the lens, or then due to the wrong type of bulb used.

Back