CX-5 Diesel Buy Back?

redderhead

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Getting very disheartened with Mazda Canada and my dealer. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to get out of my car?

Background: I have a 2019 CX-5 Diesel and I’ve had several issues with it. I’ve been stranded in a city I don’t live in because of it, had to put it in a tow truck twice, and I’ve now had 5 check engine lights come on. I’ve owned it since March 2020 and have approximately 75000km on it.

The service department at my dealer, Gary Moe Mazda, has been pretty good with everything and repair it every time, arrange for loaners, etc.

Last January, I had spoken with the General Manager of that dealer, and asked for Mazda Canada to be notified. They were not. Which, has now meant my option of the CAMVAP process is a lot trickier.

A few weeks ago, I again demanded that Mazda Canada be contacted and was told that there may be a buy back option because of the issues experienced, and was told to wait to hear back from a rep by December 13/14. I was again, mislead, and contacted Mazda Canada myself - who are now claiming my dealer has resolved everything.

I can’t reasonably keep this car with the issues I’ve experienced (I spend a lot of time out in the mountains, and I can’t risk be stranded again) and because of how new it still is, there’s a ton of negative equity still remaining. Because of the mileage, it’s tricky to get a good resale value - and I feel it’s irresponsible to pass this vehicle on to anyone else given the problems.

So I’m stuck between a rock, hard place, and financial hardship. If you’ve read this far, I’d be happy to hear your advice.

Sorry to hear of your problems. As a 2019 North American diesel owner myself I'm certainly curious as to what problems, specifically, you've experienced with your cx5 as I'm at roughly the same mileage and my diesel has been flawless. Did you purchase your cx5 brand new or was it used? Is it the same issue over and over or different problems?

I imagine these issues have all been resolved at no cost to you (for repairs) being under warranty but I can understand your apprehension about future issues based on past experience.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear of your problems. As a 2019 North American diesel owner myself I'm certainly curious as to what problems, specifically, you've experienced with your cx5 as I'm at roughly the same mileage and my diesel has been flawless. Did you purchase your cx5 brand new or was it used? Is it the same issue over and over or different problems?

I imagine these issues have all been resolved at no cost to you (for repairs) being under warranty but I can understand your apprehension about future issues based on past experience.
I purchased new, so the warranty has been great, but it’s still getting way too bothersome and unreliable to keep. I never know when I’m going to run into another issue.

According to the rumours I’ve heard, they struggle specifically in Western Canada due to temperature, however the majority of my problems happened between 5 to -10C, not the -30 or -40C that you could expect to be problematic.

I’ll summarize the issues below:

1) Check Engine Light for an exhaust system sensor failure. Replaced.
2) Check Engine Light for coolant temperature sensor 1 & 2 failure. Replaced.
3) SCR System Malfunction. Car lit up like a Christmas tree and put itself into limp mode and needed to be towed in. Wound up needing a new DEF injector and new DEF pump.
4) SCR System Malfunction. Car lit up again, back into limp mode, etc. this time it just needed a regen because it didn’t do it itself
5) Check Engine Light for a temperature discrepancy

It’s also come on a few other times or required a restart to clear a laggy transmission, etc.

Overall, I loved the car, but now I feel stuck. I can’t trust it to get me from point a to b, and my dealer doesn’t seem interested in connecting me with Mazda Canada effectively, and Mazda Canada has attempted to refer me back to the dealer. If I trade it in or sell it, I’m taking out a massive loan to try and cover the negative equity. I fully intended to keep this vehicle for at least 5 years, but now that I’m less than 2 into my loan, it’s still a huge pill to swallow. 😔

Upvote 0
not familiar with your province lemon laws but may be check this out. Sometimes there is legal ground to push on the manufacturer.
If you like CX5 as a car see if Mazda can buy it back and/or offer to exchange for a Petrol CX5.
To be honest the Petrol non turbo easily gets 31+ mpg outside city so its not that bad.
The latest petrol models have also most of the issues resolved. Issues that were happening in the 2018-2020 years CX5s. Otherwise tradein is the only option I guess.

Upvote 0
⋯ The latest petrol models have also most of the issues resolved. Issues that were happening in the 2018-2020 years CX5s.
Really? 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation is having issues going on with recall and TSBs, who knows what’s next? You never know if one patch job which fixed a problem on design flaw, would cause another problem ⋯

The 2.5T is having some potential major issues too ⋯

Otherwise tradein is the only option I guess.
I agree. With 75,000 km / 46,603 miles on his diesel CX-5, OP’s attempt to have Mazda Canada buying it hack is very unlikely to happen.

Upvote 0
Really? 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation is having issues going on with recall and TSBs, who knows what’s next? You never know if one patch job which fixed a problem on design flaw, would cause another problem ⋯

The 2.5T is having some potential major issues too ⋯

I agree. With 75,000 km / 46,603 miles on his diesel CX-5, OP’s attempt to have Mazda Canada buying it hack is very unlikely to happen.
Not this old cookie again. The CD issues have been fixed but you made it clear from day one you simply don’t trust it. There are thousands out there behaving impeccably. It’s not fair to keep dwelling on it.

To the OP. I’ve had several diesel models and the latest one had this CSR (Adblue) system and it did exactly the same thing - kept putting lights on but I carried a cheap code reader, red the code and then cancelled it - the car ran normally after that. I then phoned the dealer to record it with them. They had software updates and sensors that were less likely to go out of range and I just had them done when in for service. It isn’t right but these systems are the only way small diesels will meet legislation. You could get one and sort it yourself if you find you have no other option to but keep it. One thing about diesels that your gasoline engine colleagues won’t be familiar with is that due to the Diesel engine being highly thermally efficient, a large proportion of the energy from fuel goes out of the exhaust and it will take an eternity to warm up and get the heater going. Not much you can do about that but it might help explain why it’s often cold inside. You definitely don’t want the turbo if your ambient is so low for much of the year. I agree that swapping it for a petrol. It is true that they were troublesome at launch but it was sorted in the field and production ones don’t have problems.

Upvote 0
If this "buyback" you speak of is anything like the "lemon- law" we have in the US I believe it has to be the same problem continues occurring more than three times.

I imagine the Mazda dealership wouldn't be interested in any type of trade in since the diesel (at least in the US) was very hard for them to sell. They don't want it so their trade in offer would reflect that. If the canadian auto market is anything like the US market you might have better luck just selling it out right to a non Mazda brand dealer or an outfit like carvana.

The list of troubles that your car has had seems to be mostly sensor related other than the DEF injector & pump and hopefully you've worked through them now. I like @Anchorman suggestion of having a code reader to be able to see what is going on yourself.

Upvote 0
Not this old cookie again. The CD issues have been fixed but you made it clear from day one you simply don’t trust it. There are thousands out there behaving impeccably. It’s not fair to keep dwelling on it.
This’s something new on the 2.5L NA with CD that started popping up ⋯

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

To the OP. I’ve had several diesel models and the latest one had this CSR (Adblue) system and it did exactly the same thing - kept putting lights on but I carried a cheap code reader, red the code and then cancelled it - the car ran normally after that. I then phoned the dealer to record it with them. They had software updates and sensors that were less likely to go out of range and I just had them done when in for service. It isn’t right but these systems are the only way small diesels will meet legislation. You could get one and sort it yourself if you find you have no other option to but keep it. One thing about diesels that your gasoline engine colleagues won’t be familiar with is that due to the Diesel engine being highly thermally efficient, a large proportion of the energy from fuel goes out of the exhaust and it will take an eternity to warm up and get the heater going. Not much you can do about that but it might help explain why it’s often cold inside. You definitely don’t want the turbo if your ambient is so low for much of the year. I agree that swapping it for a petrol.
The problem for the OP is sometimes his CX-5 diesel, such as “SCR System Malfunction” would put the vehicle in limp mode and can no longer be driven normally. It won’t be able to resolve as simple as resetting the code with a code reader like you suggested. Just imagine how expensive this would be if the diesel CX-5 is out of warranty?

It is true that they were troublesome at launch but it was sorted in the field and production ones don’t have problems.
OP’s diesel CX-5 is a production version, and it’d been delayed for introduction to the North American market for many years. One would expect Mazda should have been carefully prepared the 2.2D to be ready and running fine in such environment even sacrificed huge EPA fuel economy ratings. But the fact is the 2.2D for NA market is a failure after years of preparation, and 2.2D owners got stuck like the OP.

Upvote 0
You could get one and sort it yourself if you find you have no other option to but keep it. One thing about diesels that your gasoline engine colleagues won’t be familiar with is that due to the Diesel engine being highly thermally efficient, a large proportion of the energy from fuel goes out of the exhaust and it will take an eternity to warm up and get the heater going. Not much you can do about that but it might help explain why it’s often cold inside.
Haha anything takes an eternity to warm up when it’s -40C outside. The car has a block heater to help get it started, but on cold days I always let it run for a bit to warm up prior to hitting the roadway. I would never expect the interior to be warm or warm quickly in that kind of weather.

If this "buyback" you speak of is anything like the "lemon- law" we have in the US I believe it has to be the same problem continues occurring more than three times.

I imagine the Mazda dealership wouldn't be interested in any type of trade in since the diesel (at least in the US) was very hard for them to sell. They don't want it so their trade in offer would reflect that. If the canadian auto market is anything like the US market you might have better luck just selling it out right to a non Mazda brand dealer or an outfit like carvana.
I don’t know much about it, but I was told Mazda Canada had purchased 7 back due to issues with them. I haven’t been able to find a diesel owner who has the exact same kind of problems unfortunately because of how rare they are here and they aren’t for everyone. But putting it on a tow twice and having it throw several codes has to speak to the quality of this one.

Unfortunately, that’s also what I’m running into. Because it’s so rare, they don’t know how to price the thing as there isn’t any comparison on the market. My dealer especially doesn’t seem interested in having it back, and with how things have gone with the sales team there, I’m not sure I even want to explore that path locally. Burnt bridge for sure.

Upvote 0
... One thing about diesels that your gasoline engine colleagues won’t be familiar with is that due to the Diesel engine being highly thermally efficient, a large proportion of the energy from fuel goes out of the exhaust and it will take an eternity to warm up and get the heater going. Not much you can do about that but it might help explain why it’s often cold inside. ...
My personal experience is different. I'm amazed how quickly my diesel warms up. Looking back at FORscan (for some actual numbers) from the other morning with a 27F starting temp ...
TIME COOLANT TEMP
30sec idle 32F (+5)
30sec drive 49F (+22)
60sec drive 64F (+37)
2min drive 92F (+65)
8min drive full operating temp

The problem for the OP is sometimes his CX-5 diesel, such as “SCR System Malfunction” would put the vehicle in limp mode and can no longer be driven normally. It won’t be able to resolve as simple as resetting the code with a code reader like you suggested. Just imagine how expensive this would be if the diesel CX-5 is out of warranty?
On the contrary, my experience (with other vehicles, my mazda has been flawless) has been often a limp mode IS being caused by a fault code stored but not existent anymore and once the fault code is cleared the emission systems are happy again.

... But the fact is the 2.2D for NA market is a failure after years of preparation, and 2.2D owners got stuck like the OP. ...
This has been the first owner experience I've seen posted here of a 2019 NA diesel reporting mechanical trouble or any problems at all. To me, it seems like "after years of preparation" that mazda does have the diesel sorted out pretty well. Sure, there are instances of this particular car or that having issues. Unless you're referring to it being a marketing failure because of pricing and NA folks don't seem to like to buy diesel cars.

For @redderhead , I understand how a vehicle can loose your trust. Nobody wants to spend big money on a new vehicle and have issues with it. Doesn't matter if it's covered under warranty or not! Good luck to you finding a resolution.

Upvote 0
This’s something new on the 2.5L NA with CD that started popping up ⋯

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

The problem for the OP is sometimes his CX-5 diesel, such as “SCR System Malfunction” would put the vehicle in limp mode and can no longer be driven normally. It won’t be able to resolve as simple as resetting the code with a code reader
It did on mine. As for the something new, all I can find is that the words are mentioned in the description but it refers to a head problem.

Upvote 0
Annoyingly not for the buy back via them (limit is 60000km), but I think I can still make an application through them for other options.

The CAMVAP website says 160,000km.

A Quick Check...

1. Is your dispute with the manufacturer about allegations of a defect in the assembly of your vehicle or how the manufacturer is administering the new vehicle warranty?
  2. Are you a resident of Canada and was your vehicle originally purchased from a manufacturer authorized dealer in Canada?
  3. Is your vehicle used primarily for personal or family use? (See our website for more information about business use)
  4. Is your vehicle from the current or four previous model years?
  5. Has your vehicle travelled less than 160,000 kilometers?
  6. Have you followed the manufacturer’s dispute resolution process (check your owner’s handbook)?
  7. Have you given each the dealer and the manufacturer a reasonable amount of time and opportunity to resolve the problem?
Need More Information?
If you answered yes to all the questions above you are likely eligible for CAMVAP. Please contact our program administrators at 1-800-207-0685 for more information or request a call-back here.

You can download our document Is CAMVAP For Me?

Upvote 0
It did on mine. As for the something new, all I can find is that the words are mentioned in the description but it refers to a head problem.
The cracked cylinder head is indeed new to the 2.5L NA with CD, as we haven’t seen any official TSBs from Mazda yet for this issue.

Upvote 0
Back