• Support M247: Allow Ads or Register (fewer ads)

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

:
2018 CX5
So I have started to see reports of cracked cylinder heads on CX5s (2018-2019) resulting in significant oil leaks. The cars have only ~25K miles on them!
What's this all about? How many here have had this happen? Time to sell our CX5 before it happens?

:
2020 CX-5 AWD
Mazda Corporate is the only place where the actual number of these problems is available, regardless of what any individual unhappy owner says about this being a large scale problem. And I'm sure they keep those numbers under wraps (even from their dealerships), just like every other automaker probably does.

And very few (if any) formal complaints about this problem will have been filed at this point, because the ones happening now are most likely all being handled under warranty at N/C to the owners. So IMO, it's very unlikely that we will find out what the scope of this is, and how many vehicles actually have the leaking head problem - at least while most of these vehicles still have warranties in effect. Not the answer you're looking for, but that's the way it is for just about any of these things, including the cylinder deactivation issues as well.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
So I have started to see reports of cracked cylinder heads on CX5s (2018-2019) resulting in significant oil leaks. The cars have only ~25K miles on them!
What's this all about? How many here have had this happen? Time to sell our CX5 before it happens??
Like coolant leak problem on the 2.5T, this cracked cylinder head issue on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation shouldn’t be caused any concerns at this time. Like edmaz said above, only Mazda North American Operations know the true story. I wouldn’t be too worried at this time, especially if my car is within 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. But I’d check more often on any sign of oil leak around the engine, and do the UOA more often on the 2.5T for any sign of coolant leak in the drained oil.

:
2018 CX5
Good to know. Will be interested to see going forward how many on this board end up having an issue. Hopefully none!

CarpeDiem

Under Pressure
:
Superstitions
:
2021 CE Turbo
Is this the ”report” the OP has seen? A long thread with very few actual examples, but who knows.

My advice - sell the POS before it happens to you!

:
2018 CX5
Is this the ”report” the OP has seen? A long thread with very few actual examples, but who knows.

My advice - sell the POS before it happens to you!
That was one of them, and also in the complaint section under "engine" at NHTSA, and a thread at Redditt:

2019 MAZDA CX-5 SUV AWD | NHTSA

2018 MAZDA CX-5 SUV AWD | NHTSA

2019 Cx5 cracked Head : CX5 (reddit.com)