CX-5 Cracked Windshield

Thank you for the update.
I am curious what is the name of the manufacturer? Should be written at the drivers side, at the bottom of the windshield.
Fuyao. I think that's the same aftermarket brand I have in my 1997 Nissan Hardbody without issue. Of course, my standards for that car are lower - no tech.

And I remember seeing the wiper heating elements in the new glass even though they aren't visible in the picture. I don't recall ever needing them.

Wipers are up in the after picture because I just treated the new windshield with a hydrophobic ceramic coating: Best Ceramic Spray Coating? Let's find out!

Before:
20210625_090021.jpg

After:
20210626_144023.jpg

When I had a crack spread across my windshield last year I asked my dealer for recommendations for a windscreen supplier/installer. They said that they have seem some issues with aftermarket windscreens, particularly with the connection for the wiper heater elements. In some instances the cable that plugs into the heater elements on the windshield had to be stretched so tight(to elements that may be too short) that it has caused the heating wires to peel away from the windscreen or the plug to disconnect at a later time. For this reason my dealer recommended to only go with an OEM windshield. I explained this issue to my auto insurance company, saying they could contact my dealer for further info, but they immediately agreed that they would spring for an OEM windscreen.

Fuyao. I think that's the same aftermarket brand I have in my 1997 Nissan Hardbody without issue. Of course, my standards for that car are lower - no tech.

And I remember seeing the wiper heating elements in the new glass even though they aren't visible in the picture. I don't recall ever needing them.

Wipers are up in the after picture because I just treated the new windshield with a hydrophobic ceramic coating: Best Ceramic Spray Coating? Let's find out!

Before:
View attachment 300409

After:
View attachment 300410
The after-market FuYao “ACOUSTIC HUD” windshield looks like a correct one for your 2018 CX-5 GT. It’s made by FuJian YanHua Glass Industry, Co., Ltd. at HongLu Town, China (DOT-459). Since Mazda has assembly plants in China producing CX-5’s, I’m not surprised to see Chinese windshield for CX-5 available in the US. The concern I have is this FuYao after-market windshield is lacking several safety certifications such as European E6 and Japanese JIS / Nippon Safety.

I would guess because its made in US. If not mistaken they have a factory in US that is ramping up productions. Does have the DOT but doesnt need the Eu, etc certifications for local market.
Didnt know they were doing glass for Mazdas and especially the HUD one. I guess we would start seeing more and more vs oems from Japan.

Last edited:
I would guess because its made in US. If not mistaken they have a factory in US that is ramping up productions. Does have the DOT but doesnt need the Eu, etc certifications for local market.
Didnt know they were doing glass for Mazdas and especially the HUD one. I guess we would start seeing more and more vs oems from Japan.
So far seems fine. Maybe a bit more glare, maybe because of the HUD it needs to be somewhat reflective, maybe the aftermarket one isn't as refined in striking the balance. It's difficult to judge without side by side comparisons.

Latest posts

Back