CX-5 Brake fluid low...Question

I just noticed fluid is down 1 1/2" from the max line on my 2019 with about 12k miles. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was up to the max line when I checked everything after I purchased. I assume this is not normal? Should I just top up and monitor?

If everything is working right, it could be showing the amount of brake wear.

If it's still in range, I would just monitor to see if the level goes down. Check your brake pads as @Mazdiod2 suggested as well. With only 12k miles your pads/rotors should still be well within spec. Without knowing for sure that it was at the max at purchase, topping it up may just result in some wasted new brake fluid (shelf life of an open bottle of brake fluid is one year).

If it's still in range, I would just monitor to see if the level goes down. Check your brake pads as @Mazdiod2 suggested as well. With only 12k miles your pads/rotors should still be well within spec. Without knowing for sure that it was at the max at purchase, topping it up may just result in some wasted new brake fluid (shelf life of an open bottle of brake fluid is one year).
assuming the level when I purchased was at the max line, then it would not be normal to have level drop? No city driving at all.

Edit: manual states:
The brakes and clutch draw fluid from the same reservoir. Inspect the fluid level in the reservoir regularly. It should be kept between the MAX and MIN lines. The level normally drops with accumulated distance, a condition associated with wear of brake and clutch linings. If it is excessively low, have the brake/clutch system inspected by an Authorized Mazda Dealer

Last edited:
1.5" from the max line is not normal. Even with brake wear, in my opinion.

I have ~30k on my CX and the brake fluid is still at the max line, just as it was when I brought it home on day one.

I'd top yours off and keep a very close eye on it. I'd also inspect the master cylinder, pads, and crawl up under the car and check for leaks.

Maybe the dealer has an open bottle of brake fluid, if you only need a few ounces.

I would watch it and see if it gets lower. It will be ok as long as it doesn't go below 'L".

Don't introduce any impurities or moisture if you open the reservoir. They make it so you can see the level without opening it and contaminating the fluid.

I just noticed fluid is down 1 1/2" from the max line on my 2019 with about 12k miles. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was up to the max line when I checked everything after I purchased. I assume this is not normal? Should I just top up and monitor?
Anything related to brake is a serious matter. I agree with Conrad 16.5 above that 1.5" from the max line is NOT normal with brake wear for only 12K miles! I wouldn’t top off the brake fluid as long as the fluid level is above the MIN line in the reservoir. Take your 2019 CX-5 to your Mazda dealer at your earliest convenience and let them diagnose the problem of low brake fluid under warranty.

8DCBEEA7-65E5-47D9-86CF-A21ED112F09E.jpeg

The type of driving is the sole contributor to brake pad life.

If you do nothing but high speed interstate travel, you can get up to 100,000 miles out of a set of pads.

If you're an inner city taxi, if you get 20,000 miles out of a set, it's a small miracle

If you have a Miata that you thrash every weekend at Sonoma Raceway, you're changing pads every 500 miles, maybe even more!

The type of driving is the sole contributor to brake pad life.

If you do nothing but high speed interstate travel, you can get up to 100,000 miles out of a set of pads.

If you're an inner city taxi, if you get 20,000 miles out of a set, it's a small miracle

If you have a Miata that you thrash every weekend at Sonoma Raceway, you're changing pads every 500 miles, maybe even more!
Already answered by OP. There’s no way the brake fluid would drop 1.5" from the MAX line, which should be the fluid level from factory, due to the pads wear for only 12K miles.

assuming the level when I purchased was at the max line, then it would not be normal to have level drop? No city driving at all.

Already answered by OP. There’s no way the brake fluid would drop 1.5" from the MAX line, which should be the fluid level from factory, due to the pads wear for only 12K miles.
what should I look for? I would notice a leak because it's parked on crushed stone, no wetness there. I did end up filling to the max line so will monitoring going forward. Any drop and will bring to dealer. I have another year on the 3 year bumper to bumper, but not sure what I'm dealing with here.

what should I look for? I would notice a leak because it's parked on crushed stone, no wetness there. I did end up filling to the max line so will monitoring going forward. Any drop and will bring to dealer. I have another year on the 3 year bumper to bumper, but not sure what I'm dealing with here.
Yes your issue on brake fluid level drop is rare. Not like engine oil、automatic transmission fluid、rear differential gear lube, the brake fluid on CX-5 from factory seems to be always at proper MAX mark. I believe your memory on brake fluid level which was at MAX mark when your 2019 CX-5 was brand new is correct. The loss of pretty substantial amount of brake fluid in 12K miles is not normal, but such leak somewhere in the system may not be easy to spot, as the brake fluid with such a slow leak wouldn’t be dripping to the ground.

Do you know if the brake fluid level had dropped below the MIN mark when you refill the brake fluid? Did you use recommended SAE J1703 or FMVSS116 DOT-3 brake fluid?

At this point you can only keep an eye on brake fluid level, and hopefully you have enough time to show the dealer on unreasonable brake fluid level drop before your new car warranty expires.

I wonder if a dragging brake could wear down the pads enough to cause a drop.

20210603_195815.jpg

Here is mine at around 13k-14k if that helps.
And that level is normal.

Also what I noticed on the cx5 is the rear brakes are used a lot more so most likely I will be for a change before 30k :)
I do use the autopilot/auto cruise control and the autohold extensively.

Last edited:
View attachment 299370

Here is mine at around 13k-14k if that helps.
And that level is normal.

Also what I noticed on the cx5 is the rear brakes are used a lot more so most likely I will be for a change before 30k :)
I do use the autopilot/auto cruise control and the autohold extensively.
Was it to the max line when purchased? Others have stated their level has not dropped from the max line. Mine was about the same level as yours before I topped off.

edit: why do you think this is normal? I don't think I ever had to add brake fluid to any vehicle I owned.

Last edited:
It was near the max but not at the exact line that has written 'max'.
brake pads wear out, level drops a bit. Now if you change your pads it will overflow. Thats my experience.

If it drops again to that level, say in a week or two then you got a problem.

Its similar story if you check your coolant level. Its not on the max line and even if you fill to the max line over time it will drop simewhere in the middle, the reason there is different though.

Was it to the max line when purchased? Others have stated their level has not dropped from the max line. Mine was about the same level as yours before I topped off.

edit: why do you think this is normal? I don't think I ever had to add brake fluid to any vehicle I owned.
It is normal because the plungers in the calipers get longer as the brakes wear, hence more fluid is in the pistons and out of the reservoir. When new brakes are installed the caliper pistons are pushed back in and the extra fluid goes back into the reservoir.
Guys are thinking that you have a problem because you shouldn't have enough brake wear at 12K to have the fluid as low as you said it was. But brake fluid leaks are rare, especially on a newer car.

Back