Cracked cylinder head 2019 CX-5 with 26,000 miles

This is quite disconcerting as our 2020 GT will probably hit 60K miles by the end of the year and we have no extended warranty. We may consider trading it in on something new. Is there any reason to think that 2023 models won't have this potential issue?

This is quite disconcerting as our 2020 GT will probably hit 60K miles by the end of the year and we have no extended warranty. We may consider trading it in on something new. Is there any reason to think that 2023 models won't have this potential issue?

I hope not. :(

I've got a '23 with about 4,300 miles on it, had it 6 months. This is my 26th vehicle (yes, I'm old) and I've never had a problem like this where there was a major manufacturing defect. I hope this isn't my first.

I usually trade every 5-6 years; I will make sure I do this time also and stay within the warranty. Aside from that, it's a great little car and is great in the snow.

Regarding the head issue with the turbo engines and the exhaust manifold studs, my question would be is there anyway to prevent this short of replacing the head?

I was interested in buying a 2023 CX-5 Select or Preferred or waiting for 2024 models since I’m in no rush, but these engine problems are keeping me from doing it.
The main reasons for me to buy a CX-5 were refinement and quality for the price. The CX-5 has better NVH than you get in a RAV4 and Mazdas are generally known for reliability comparable to Toyotas.
I am surprised to see that Mazda has not addressed and fixed the engine issues with at least new CX-5 engines being built going forward.
This reminds me of Hyundai’s “Theta II” engines. They have a known serious defect, but they are just continuing to build them as is until the engine gets discontinued in some future year.
Looks like they calculated that paying warranty claims for the percentage that fail until all the warranties expire is cheaper than addressing the problem.

Looks like they calculated that paying warranty claims for the percentage that fail until all the warranties expire is cheaper than addressing the problem.
You may just nailed it. That really looks like the reason why Mazda hasn’t openly addressed the cylinder head problem on the 2.5L NA with CD. Even though Mazda has issued a TSB on the 2.5T for yet another cracked cylinder head problem, but we really don’t know if the modifications have truly fixed the problem without giving enough time. It’s unfortunate that the only two engines available in US market both suffered major issues however the occurrence is rare or not:

I was interested in buying a 2023 CX-5 Select or Preferred or waiting for 2024 models since I’m in no rush, but these engine problems are keeping me from doing it.
The main reasons for me to buy a CX-5 were refinement and quality for the price. The CX-5 has better NVH than you get in a RAV4 and Mazdas are generally known for reliability comparable to Toyotas.
I am surprised to see that Mazda has not addressed and fixed the engine issues with at least new CX-5 engines being built going forward.
This reminds me of Hyundai’s “Theta II” engines. They have a known serious defect, but they are just continuing to build them as is until the engine gets discontinued in some future year.

I find this subject interesting. I made a thread comparing issue rates per year and the CX-5's top two competitors. My basis is a 2019 since that's what I own, but that is 4 years old and gives a few years and 75,000-100,000+ mile users for issues to show up. Compare the recalls and problem rates vs a Toyota Rav4. Mazda has fewer recalls and NHTSA reports relative to the sales.

Toyota and Honda have engine failures too. They are built by humans and not perfect.

Last edited:
Kia, but they are the same company. Can't mention that junk in the same sentence as Mazda.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Mazda CX5, 26,000 miles on it. Is like brand new. This past weekend oil started pouring out the bottom of my car. I smelled something burning while I was driving. When I pulled into my driveway, oil was all over, it ruined my driveway. It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. This is crazy. And I’m very upset about it. This should never have happened to a car this new, with little miles. Has this happened to other people?
I have a 2019 as well leaking oil from the heads at 87k miles. Unfortunately since it is out of warranty i have used over 15 5 quart jugs of oil. its crazy they dont have a recall yet

Cracked cylinder head, 2019 CX5 GS NA CD at 63,000 km.

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 216
Cracked cylinder head, 2019 CX5 GS NA CD at 63,000 km.
These dealer invoices often contain interesting bits of information, so thanks for posting it here for all to see.

There is no indication that Mazda included a set of the modified switchable HLAs in the replacement cylinder head 'set'. So they're apparently somehow oblivious to the fact that parts are being reinstalled which have been identified (in a different TSB) to have a defective design. But perhaps they're just banking on the warranty being expired, if and when the factory HLAs wet the bed. Hopefully that will not be the case with your vehicle.

That 8.6 hour warranty labor paid by Mazda CA does not put a smile on face of the techs who do this work, and I'm always curious what the actual number of hours was. The out-of-warranty quotes that I've seen for this NA cracked head replacement range from 5,000-7,000 USD, which puts WAY more $$ in the tech's pocket than one of these warranty jobs does. It's no wonder why they dislike warranty jobs so much, and Mazda (actually all automakers) does the owners no favors by fostering a negative attitude, by cheeping out on their dealer warranty reimbursements.

It's nice to have the complete current parts list for this job on hand, because one never knows when it might come in handy:rolleyes: Hopefully they did quality work on your vehicle, and you won't see anything else related to this episode in the future.

It is still happening with the 2022 models. I just got my cylinder head replaced under warranty. It's a CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine; it's not the turbo. I bought it new in March of 2022 and it only has 13,000 miles on it. There were no warning signs or symptoms other than the low oil level light coming on. I have the oil changed twice a year, so that definitely shouldn't have happened. I stopped immediately so no damage was done to the engine. Because of the panels under the car, there was no noticeable oil leak. There was no coolant leak, no smoke, no smell.

The invoice says: Oil saturation on back of head, front cover, and undershields. Contacted hotline. Advised to inspect for crack and saturation at cyl 3 hla. Found oil seep at cyl 3 hla spot of head. Advised to replace cylinder head."

I hope the replacement head lasts.... I usually keep my cars well past the warranty, but this time I may consider getting a new car when the warranty runs out.

It is still happening with the 2022 models. I just got my cylinder head replaced under warranty. It's a CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine; it's not the turbo. I bought it new in March of 2022 and it only has 13,000 miles on it. There were no warning signs or symptoms other than the low oil level light coming on. I have the oil changed twice a year, so that definitely shouldn't have happened. I stopped immediately so no damage was done to the engine. Because of the panels under the car, there was no noticeable oil leak. There was no coolant leak, no smoke, no smell.

The invoice says: Oil saturation on back of head, front cover, and undershields. Contacted hotline. Advised to inspect for crack and saturation at cyl 3 hla. Found oil seep at cyl 3 hla spot of head. Advised to replace cylinder head."

I hope the replacement head lasts.... I usually keep my cars well past the warranty, but this time I may consider getting a new car when the warranty runs out.

If possible, could you post your invoice as eljavi did above?

Thats the Cylinder Deactivation issue. Different then the 2.5T issue. Only on normally asperated engines. Why mazda thought it was a good idea to ruin a perfectly good engine and put CD in I will never know. Same screw uo Honda did to their v6 engines when they put VCM on them 20 years ago. I can see it in a V8 but a 4 cylinder??? Really? For .3 MPG ??? Jesus Mazda

Thanks for reporting this very unsettling event. The idea of the NA cracked head issue being limited only to the 2018-2020 models has just left the building.

Sorry to read about this. This is the first I have heard of a '22 experiencing it, but I had previously thought it occurred at higher miles. My '22 CX-5 with CD has 12,000 miles (purchased new in April 2022) so I am now concerned.

Sorry to read about this. This is the first I have heard of a '22 experiencing it, but I had previously thought it occurred at higher miles. My '22 CX-5 with CD has 12,000 miles (purchased new in April 2022) so I am now concerned.
I have a ’23 with 5,600 miles, 10 months old, and now I’m getting nervous. May dump it before the warranty runs out. We shall see going forward.

2019 cx5. 32k miles. Noticed a few drops of oil in my garage. Got down on the floor with a flashlight and the bottom of the car is covered with oil. Brought it in for oil change and inspection. They said there was oil all the way back to my exhaust. Tech told me back of engine was covered in oil. Dropped the car off with them today. They gave me a loner. Just got the call that it was a cracked cylinder head. Warranty covers it 100%. They say work will be completed by early next week. Went online, found this thread. Thought I should share.

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_113847.jpg
    IMG_20230912_113847.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 100
2019 cx5. 32k miles. Noticed a few drops of oil in my garage. Got down on the floor with a flashlight and the bottom of the car is covered with oil. Brought it in for oil change and inspection. They said there was oil all the way back to my exhaust. Tech told me back of engine was covered in oil. Dropped the car off with them today. They gave me a loner. Just got the call that it was a cracked cylinder head. Warranty covers it 100%. They say work will be completed by early next week. Went online, found this thread. Thought I should share.
Thanks for the report. You are not alone and there’re 2 long thread and several shorter ones discussing this head problem for the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation:

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

Please file a complaint to the NHTSA website and make sure to specify you have a naturally aspirated 2.5L engine.

Back