NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

There has been a lot of discussion of turbo oil consumption and some reports of lost compression with possible causes being cracked cylinder heads or manifolds or valve stem seal failures.

How about the non-turbos with cylinder deactivation? I can't recall seeing such reports. Report in--the problem, the solution, miles on the vehicle. We don't need to rehash other gripes with CD or turbo issues or pre-CD normally aspirated engines here. Just the problems and solutions, please.

No CD-related problems with either of our vehicles so far, but here's a couple of prior threads to get this rolling. This one eventually gets into the HLA ('air bubbles') issue, and this very long thread is all about the detached rocker arm problem, which was so well documented by member Go Hawks.

I suspect that you're not going to see very much beyond this, simply because the majority of CD vehicles are still covered by powertrain warranty, and very few owners go out of their way to complain when a problem is resolved with no cost to them.

So unfortunately, we really have no clue what the volume of CD-related problems is, and no significant information will likely be forthcoming until a lot more warranties come to an end. I for one am hoping that there will be VERY little new information showing up;)

No CD-related problems with either of our vehicles so far, but here's a couple of prior threads to get this rolling. This one eventually gets into the HLA ('air bubbles') issue, and this very long thread is all about the detached rocker arm problem, which was so well documented by member Go Hawks.

I suspect that you're not going to see very much beyond this, simply because the majority of CD vehicles are still covered by powertrain warranty, and very few owners go out of their way to complain when a problem is resolved with no cost to them.

So unfortunately, we really have no clue what the volume of CD-related problems is, and no significant information will likely be forthcoming until a lot more warranties come to an end. I for one am hoping that there will be VERY little new information showing up;)
That's a dubious thesis given there are plenty of in-warranty issues with turbos being reported. Besides, CD versions are now in their 6th. model year with some out of warranty, some with high mileage.

There's no need to relitigate the HLA issue which resulted in a recall. If somebody has had an HLA issue or limp mode event post-recall, then that would be interesting to know.

As far as oil consumption, lost compression, faulty valve seals or cracked cylinder heads, I suspect guilt by association. Let's see what others with actual problems have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many on this forum have the NA with CD? Maybe there aren't enough of us to have a good sampling. I drive a lot less so it will be a while before wear shows CD related damage.

How many on this forum have the NA with CD? Maybe there aren't enough of us to have a good sampling. I drive a lot less so it will be a while before wear shows CD related damage.
My point would be that the oil consumption TSB (01-012/21) for turbos indicates that when this issue crops up it is typically at e problem arises at 3,100 - 4,700 miles.

2018-2019 commuter cars outside the 60k mile warranty would not be uncommon at this point. Further, I would guess Mazda sells more non-turbo 2.5L than turbos. Anecdotally, when I happen to spot a CX-5 in a parking lot or pull up behind one, I can recall only one out of a couple of dozen with a Signature badge which is some indication, for whatever that is worth.

No reports so far this week. If I remember I'll keep bumping this until somebody makes a report.

⋯ Besides, CD versions are now in their 6th. model year with some out of warranty, some with high mileage.
Actually the 2.5L NA with CD started on MY 2018 CX-5. So it’s the 5th year.

Actually the 2.5L NA with CD started on MY 2018 CX-5. So it’s the 5th year.
2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 , 2023--I count 6 model years, though the oldest are around 5 years old. Quite a few of the early ones will be out of warranty on mileage. At 15k per year, not uncommon, would put am early 2018 out of warranty a year ago. Some drive even more, more out of warranty.

Besides, being under warranty never stopped anybody from reporting / complaining about anything, including turbo oil consumption. I'd like to see if we can get even one oil consumption report for any 2.5L CD engine because I cannot recall seeing one in any thread.. So, like I said, I'll keep bumping this periodically if I don't forget about it.

"2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 , 2023--I count 6 model years"
This kind of begs the question: during any point of production, was
there an improved/redesigned head used? When did Mazda recognize the need for a redesigned head and did they implement it in production or just use it for warranty work.

"2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 , 2023--I count 6 model years"
This kind of begs the question: during any point of production, was
there an improved/redesigned head used? When did Mazda recognize the need for a redesigned head and did they implement it in production or just use it for warranty work.
So far, I see no evidence there is a problem that needs fixing with the normally aspirated engine, the topic of this thread.

Rental companies have Mazda's with CD in their fleets. They would be the ones to find any issues, with all different people driving the cars hard and putting on a lot of miles.

Just to point out, there were some posts on other threads of NA nonturbo engines that had cracked heads and coolant leaks. They might have been in the coolant leaks thread or other threads. So there are some problems, but those members haven't/don't post often. There are surely others who never visit/read forums as well. Just cause there have been no posts in this thread does not mean the NA engine is defect free.

It's the main reason that i keep an eye on coolant level and that my oil is submitted to Blackstone for periodic UOA reports.

Here’s an example of problems on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation after it has been accumulated enough miles. It isn’t cracked cylinder head or coolant leak, but the hydraulic lift adjuster problem and it possibly has suffered premature wear-and-tear on CD cylinder #4 which has always been a common problem on those engines with cylinder deactivation based on CD history.

2018 CX-5 110k mi Valve Lifter Tick Camshaft Damage? (w/ pics)

I almost did buy a New Mazda because of CD but low milage 5 year old models were only about 3K less than a New 2022. I've had the car for 9 + months now so far the CD has been a non issue.

Here’s an example of problems on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation after it has been accumulated enough miles. It isn’t cracked cylinder head or coolant leak, but the hydraulic lift adjuster problem and it possibly has suffered premature wear-and-tear on CD cylinder #4 which has always been a common problem on those engines with cylinder deactivation based on CD history.

There are some posts of 2018 and 2019 CX-5 non turbo CD models with cracked cylinder head. Although the turbo models might appear to have the problem moreso, it appears it is also a problem on the CD.

I read that thread. So, that's one major engine issue report...maybe. The poster has an engine ticking problem but at this point is kinda guessing as to the cause. Until he gets further along we won't know the fix. And if he ends up firing the parts cannon we may never know the cause. And we don't how this 100,000 mile vehicle had been maintained or driven.

Anyway, something like 700,000 CX-5s have been sold in the US since 2018, half or more I would guess having this engine, more still in other locales. I would be shocked if no one had reported a major engine issue by now. So now there's one reported in this thread.

There are some posts of 2018 and 2019 CX-5 non turbo CD models with cracked cylinder head. Although the turbo models might appear to have the problem moreso, it appears it is also a problem on the CD.
Are there? Got a link?

I read that thread. So, that's one major engine issue report...maybe. The poster has an engine ticking problem but at this point is kinda guessing as to the cause. Until he gets further along we won't know the fix. And if he ends up firing the parts cannon we may never know the cause. And we don't how this 100,000 mile vehicle had been maintained or driven.

Anyway, something like 700,000 CX-5s have been sold in the US since 2018, half or more I would guess having this engine, more still in other locales. I would be shocked if no one had reported a major engine issue by now. So now there's one reported in this thread.

Are there? Got a link?
Had read them some time ago... But they are in different threads.
Will post links when have time to look later in week.

I read that thread. So, that's one major engine issue report...maybe. The poster has an engine ticking problem but at this point is kinda guessing as to the cause. Until he gets further along we won't know the fix. And if he ends up firing the parts cannon we may never know the cause.
The condition of the spark plug from cylinder #4 doesn’t look good. Although it still needs the compression test to verify; but it’s inline with CD cylinder premature failures on most engines with CD.

And we don't how this 100,000 mile vehicle had been maintained or driven.
Yes we know:
Last year I started noticing what I've now learned to be valve lifter ticking coming from the engine. ⋯
I've been consistent with oil changes, always using Castrol GTX 0W-20, every 6k-7k miles, and recently I even used the Mazda brand oil w/ moly.

The HLA failure may not be wide spread on the 2.5L with CD, but it has to be significant enough that Mazda released a TSB and a Service Alert; in addition to the updates on these HLAs.

Are there? Got a link?
Yes, there’re several reports here for cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD. Those posts are mixed in those reports for the same problem on the 2.5T. Mazda started with the whole engine replacement; later changed to replace the cylinder head only at the dealership.

The HLA failure may not be wide spread on the 2.5L with CD, but it has to be significant enough that Mazda released a TSB and a Service Alert; in addition to the updates on these HLAs.

Yes, there’re several reports here for cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD. Those posts are mixed in those reports for the same problem on the 2.5T. Mazda started with the whole engine replacement; later changed to replace the cylinder head only at the dealership.

I think the TSB and service alert were released because of the potential safety risk when the issue is triggered (car goes into limp mode). I may be wrong, can someone confirm?

Also important to know whether these issues are post-recall or not.

With the limited reach our forum has, and the total number of issues reported, compared to actual sales of the 2018+ CX-5 with 2.5L NA engine, this issue seems to be very, very rare. Huge difference compared to the Honda CR-V and it's fuel dilution problems, for example.

I think the TSB and service alert were released because of the potential safety risk when the issue is triggered (car goes into limp mode). I may be wrong, can someone confirm?
This valve noise problem won’t cause the car going into the limp mode, and the TSB and the SA have never mention this either in the problem description. A car manufacture won’t issue a TSB of SA unless there’re significant number of reports about the problem.

Also important to know whether these issues are post-recall or not.
Yes, the SA was published on 11/22/2019, after the rocker arm fallen recall.

With the limited reach our forum has, and the total number of issues reported, compared to actual sales of the 2018+ CX-5 with 2.5L NA engine, this issue seems to be very, very rare. Huge difference compared to the Honda CR-V and it's fuel dilution problems, for example.
I can also argue that since very few of the CX-5 owners actually posting on this forum, there can be a lot more cases on this problem out there as they don’t post here.

Back