Cracked cylinder head 2019 CX-5 with 26,000 miles

So I guess just because one member had made up a cracked cylinder head story, we now need some proof of pictures each time someone reports a problem here on his / her Mazda CX-5? :unsure::rolleyes:🤪
Or a credible story, such as more detail to give it the ring of truth. Was there a low oil light? How far did he drive with that on? Ruined his driveway? :rolleyes: You hear what you want to hear.

You never know what motivates somebody to phony stuff up. One possibility is Toyota, Honda, etc. "Stans" like to mess with owners of the competition, just old fashioned trolling. Or folks like Jack Rabbit--he had no problem so far but was so fearful of having one :rolleyes: that he pretended he did thinking that it would somehow contribute to a Mazda recall or some other action. Who knows. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, I haven't been finding much of interest here lately other than replying to Chicken Little. So I'll be back when I have something new to say. So feel free to continue repeating your story ad nauseum.

Or a credible story, such as more detail to give it the ring of truth. Was there a low oil light? How far did he drive with that on? Ruined his driveway? :rolleyes: You hear what you want to hear.

You never know what motivates somebody to phony stuff up. One possibility is Toyota, Honda, etc. "Stans" like to mess with owners of the competition, just old fashioned trolling. Or folks like Jack Rabbit--he had no problem so far but was so fearful of having one :rolleyes: that he pretended he did thinking that it would somehow contribute to a Mazda recall or some other action. Who knows. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, I haven't been finding much of interest here lately other than replying to Chicken Little. So I'll be back when I have something new to say. So feel free to continue repeating your story ad nauseum.
And have you watched the Russian YouTube video posted from Ukraine?

It takes about two minutes to create a new account and post a short story on here. I place a lot more value in the NHTSA data because it's based on real names, VIN numbers, etc.

Last edited:

Would it really surprise you if said banned poster decided to come back for round #3? It wouldn't surprise me. So a picture definitely isn't required, but it sure validates a story. If I claimed my in warranty car "leaked oil all over the driveway" I think I would take a pic of that.

I believe all the reports of the cracked head on here were from CX5s that were still under warrantee. (correct me if I'm wrong). But over at NHTSA, I noticed 1 or 2 reports of it happening out of warrantee and Mazda sticking the owner with the bill. Pathetic considering its a known build defect. Makes me consider dumping our 2018 CX5 when its powertrain coverage is up this summer.

I believe all the reports of the cracked head on here were from CX5s that were still under warrantee. (correct me if I'm wrong). But over at NHTSA, I noticed 1 or 2 reports of it happening out of warrantee and Mazda sticking the owner with the bill. Pathetic considering its a known build defect. Makes me consider dumping our 2018 CX5 when its powertrain coverage is up this summer.
It seems the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD happens a bit earlier (still under 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty) than the cracked head on the 2.5T turbo. But it could be because the 2.5L NA with CD came out in 2018 and almost all of them still under powertrain warranty, whereas the 2.5T came out in late 2015 in the brand new gen-2 2016 CX-9 and some of them have out of warranty when the cranked head happens.

Honestly I believe if the cracked cylinder head happens to any other car manufactures, they’d do the same like Mazda North American Operations and won’t cover the repair cost without warranty. That’s why reporting the problem to NHTSA is important as it’s almost the only hope to protect the car owners for such problem if the NHTSA can force a recall like the falling rocker arms on the same engine.

In the meantime, I’d give up the Mazda vehicles with such engines before the warranty expires, as I really don’t want to own a vehicle with a potential major engine problems by weak design without warranty.

In the meantime, I’d give up the Mazda vehicles with such engines before the warranty expires, as I really don’t want to own a vehicle with a potential major engine problems by weak design without warranty.

Agree, will get rid of my turbo next year before the 5 year powertrain expires. Will more than likely buy another Mazda. Although I've had zero problems it's not worth the worry.

I have a 2019 Mazda CX5, 26,000 miles on it. Is like brand new. This past weekend oil started pouring out the bottom of my car. I smelled something burning while I was driving. When I pulled into my driveway, oil was all over, it ruined my driveway. It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. This is crazy. And I’m very upset about it. This should never have happened to a car this new, with little miles. Has this happened to other people?
I'm a couple of months late to this thread but came here after I heard from a Mazda service engineer that I have a cracked cylinder head and I need a brand new engine. There was no visible leak of oil in my case, but there was a burning smell in the cabin and I could see smoke coming from the engine. My 2018 CX-5 has ~37,000 miles on it and unfortunately, my warranty just expired. I am at a loss thinking I should have to pay upwards of $10k to have this issue fixed when my car is only 5 years old and has less than 40k miles on it. I saw others recommend that this issue be reported to NHTSA, which I just did but I have small hopes it'll help me in my situation.

I hope you were able to get your CX-5 fixed and are back on the road. Just thought I'd chime in with my car woes and let you know you are not the only one.

â‹Ż
My 2018 CX-5 has ~37,000 miles on it and unfortunately, my warranty just expired.
What’s your current plan to resolve your situation?

Please do contact Mazda North American Operations ASAP and escalate the case to the managerial level or higher seeking for any possible help.

You may try to trade in your 2018 CX-5 as your symptom isn’t obvious at this time. If MNAO isn’t willing to help, the cheapest way to fix your problem is to get a used engine from a salvage yard such as LKQ.com or Car-Part.com although a used engine is a lot more expensive than a couple of years ago nowadays. You can find a reputable shop to do the engine swap.

Keep us posted.

I'm a couple of months late to this thread but came here after I heard from a Mazda service engineer that I have a cracked cylinder head and I need a brand new engine. There was no visible leak of oil in my case, but there was a burning smell in the cabin and I could see smoke coming from the engine. My 2018 CX-5 has ~37,000 miles on it and unfortunately, my warranty just expired. I am at a loss thinking I should have to pay upwards of $10k to have this issue fixed when my car is only 5 years old and has less than 40k miles on it. I saw others recommend that this issue be reported to NHTSA, which I just did but I have small hopes it'll help me in my situation.

I hope you were able to get your CX-5 fixed and are back on the road. Just thought I'd chime in with my car woes and let you know you are not the only one.
When did you purchase your 2019? Are you sure your powertrain warranty has expired? You should be on the phone to Mazda NA raising hell.

Would it really surprise you if said banned poster decided to come back for round #3? It wouldn't surprise me. So a picture definitely isn't required, but it sure validates a story. If I claimed my in warranty car "leaked oil all over the driveway" I think I would take a pic of that.
I have to say if Jack Rabbit would try the third time for the same purpose with another user name, sm1ke can easily catch him again with the same way (same IP address?) he caught RickyBobby he used as the second user name.

On the other hand, it’s possible that after the OP replied the question once, he started seeing negative comments by some members, he wasn’t happy about it and simply just gave up posting here in this forum.

When did you purchase your 2019? Are you sure your powertrain warranty has expired? You should be on the phone to Mazda NA raising hell.
He said his CX-5 is a 2018, so he has a 2.5L NA with CD.

I have to say if Jack Rabbit would try the third time for the same purpose with another user name, sm1ke can easily catch him again with the same way (same IP address?) he caught RickyBobby he used as the second user name.

On the other hand, it’s possible that after the OP replied the question once, he started seeing negative comments by some members, he wasn’t happy about it and simply just gave up posting here in this forum.

He actually has tried a third time. I didn't see it, but Antoine did. We have a lot of safeguards in place, but in reality, if people like him are so determined, they will just keep trying and a few may make it through. That's when it helps to approach each individual case with a little more scrutiny.

Negative, unproductive comments would have been identified and called out. Requesting additional proof or clarification is simply due diligence.

Please let us know what happens with this! Did you have to pay for the repair?

Our 2018 CX5 is like yours....36,500 miles and our warrantee expires this summer. Car is fine now but concerned with the potential of the head cracking and a big repair bill!

ps...you would think that leaking oil into a hot running engine would be a fire hazard and be a reason for a recall!

ps...you would think that leaking oil into a hot running engine would be a fire hazard and be a reason for a recall!
Yes, the oil leak area is on the back side of the engine above the exhaust manifold, and that should be stated in the NHTSA complaint in addition to possible engine trouble while driving on the highway.

Yes, the oil leak area is on the back side of the engine above the exhaust manifold, and that should be stated in the NHTSA complaint in addition to possible engine trouble while driving on the highway.
Right! Clearly an accident waiting to happen!

Back