Bumper protector - 1 year later...

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Last may I found the perfect (for me) bumper protector. I was looking for a minimalist design that blended in -in my mind this does, YMMV. A year later, and after a summer where we had 53 days at or above 110 and 14 days of 115 or higher. I can honestly say that this looks as good as the day I put it on. Albeit, I have a garage, but still. The small white "CX-5" can be removed/peeled off. Also, unlike some stick on protectors that have the 3M tape around the edges, the entire back of this has adhesive so it stays put even where it turns down the back of the bumper. Here's the link and pics of my car 1 year later.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

PXL_20210520_235717432.jpg
PXL_20210520_235734983.jpg
PXL_20210520_235706063.jpg
PXL_20210520_235708542.jpg

Last may I found the perfect (for me) bumper protector. I was looking for a minimalist design that blended in -in my mind this does, YMMV. A year later, and after a summer where we had 53 days at or above 110 and 14 days of 115 or higher. I can honestly say that this looks as good as the day I put it on. Albeit, I have a garage, but still. The small white "CX-5" can be removed/peeled off. Also, unlike some stick on protectors that have the 3M tape around the edges, the entire back of this has adhesive so it stays put even where it turns down the back of the bumper. Here's the link and pics of my car 1 year later.

View attachment 299031View attachment 299032View attachment 299033View attachment 299034
After seeing the original post and pictures regarding this bumper guard, I made the plunge and installed the same item on my 2017 GT. And I can attest it has stood the test of time (so far 9 months) through late summer and now this past winter here in the North-East. A product I would recommend.

Thanks, Hal2; I just ordered one based on your comments, and the reasonable price!

Thanks, Hal2; I just ordered one based on your comments, and the reasonable price!
One person can do it, but an extra set of hands helps. It's already pre curved, but an extra set of hands can help get it perfect against the inner edge. It's instantly tacky when you remove the backing so that's where the extra hands will help premature touching it down. But really, it's just peek off and stick down. I used a razor and careful peeling to take of the "CX-5" decal. Just keep rubbing with your thumb.

As I mentioned, what I like about this is that it's not just double sided tape along the edges, but on the entire back side is adhesive. Also, for those concerned about removal, I can't see why there would be any prible taking it up and removing any adhesive with adhesive remover, goo gone, or my favorite, spray lubricant.

InkedPXL_20210520_235708542 (1)_LI.jpg

Or your wife's friend pulls out her overnight suitcase and whacks the bumper with the wheel causing a permanent dent in the plastic bumper, which caused me to buy the stainless steel piece to hide the dent...

Got mine and put it on. Well worth $25 or whatever it was. Definitely easier w/two people. I recommend starting at the middle (although the paper peels off from either end) and then one person working each side out to the end. We tried doing it from one end, and our job was not perfect. The opportunity to pull back and reset it very limited!

Definitely easier w/two people. I recommend starting at the middle (although the paper peels off from either end) and then one person working each side out to the end.
Yes, kind of like pin-striping or laying masking tape where you can gently bend/guide it around - though it is already curved to fit

Last edited:
This inspired me to replace my current bumper protector (it has always been “good enough”, but the debris that always gets stuck between the edge of the protector and the car finally annoyed me).

Just FYI, the seller accepted $22 offer.

It really is as nice and clean as my pics. Like ONERPM said, have 2 people, start in the middle and form it around the curve. Also, a ONERPM alluded to, once it's on it's on, the entire protector is back adhesive, thought I'm sure with coaxing and wax it can still be removed and cleaned underneath - though not reusable. Post update

This inspired me to replace my current bumper protector (it has always been “good enough”, but the debris that always gets stuck between the edge of the protector and the car finally annoyed me).

Just FYI, the seller accepted $22 offer.
Shoot! It never crossed my mind to make an offer - first thing I've purchased off eBay in years. FYI, it shows up in a very small box (fit inside my condo mailbox) and took about 2 weeks to show up.

Ordered one up and just installed it. Good recommendation, it fits well and looks great.

A possibly helpful hint if you you need to install one without help.

Step 1 - I cut a slit the in the paper adhesive cover lengthwise and one in the middle, dividing it into quadrants.

Step 2 - I aligned it and taped the left half down with painters tape to fix the position.

Step 3 - I pulled the paper cover from the top right side and carefully affixed the top of the protector to the bumper working from the center out.

Step 4 - Then I did the top left side same as the right.

Step 5 & 6 - Repeat with the two bottom halves.

It was really easy and sat right where I wanted it. Don't forget to clean the bumper with alcohol before you put it on.

Back