Blown 2.3 Engine

ktigerj

:
'07 Mazda 3
So the story goes a little like this.

I was driving around a week ago, while coming off the highway the engine suddenly lost power. I started to hear a metal on metal sound like a cylinder had let go. I called up my Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan) since I bought the car used from a Ford Dealer. They told me to take it to Mazda in Frederick MD. On the drive out there is a real huge bang and smoke everywhere. I look and of course it threw a rod through the block. Once the ESP adjuster looks over the car they say the oil filter was improperly installed (2500 miles on it) and they aren't going to "participate" in the repair! WTF people? I am waiting on the service manger to call me back, this is day 2 of that wait. Has anyone here heard of such a thing? I've been doing oil/filter changes regularly for about 20,000 miles on this car and about 30 years on others. Never once I have I had another problem. I understand that they want to find anything they can to try and deny coverage but that just seems VERY WRONG! The adjuster said "the oil filter was canted to the side and some material was being sucked up by the post."

Opinions?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I would want proof. Tell them show you the filter, show the stuff getting sucked up, the crossed threads on the filter....

If the oil filter was on wrong/cross treads ect ect. The engine would of leaked oil while running throu there. They are lying
Get a different mechanic to re check issue/ signed paper work.
and open a small claims at court you should easily win this case

Does your MZR have the internal, or spin on oil filter? If its a spin on, It probably hour glassed, which lets the oil bypass the filter. The internal filter was a horrible idea. Its caused a few engine failures over the years between the filter hour glassing, or people over tightening the plastic cap, and cracking it, causing the oil to be lost, and locking up the motor.

Sorry to read about your situation ktigerj. Must have been hard hard holding your temper.

I may be heading into the same issue as you. Second last oil change the old filter was hour glassed. Just had oil changed again and there were some metal shavings in the filter. IT's getting hard to keep the oil level up and not sure why. Coolant is good. No visible oil leaks either. ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem and was wondering if a motor swap would be best so I was thinking about the speed 3 motor would it bolt up to my 5-speed transmission? And obviously I would need a new harness and ecu. I've had nothing but problems with my Mazda 3 since I bought it and would like your guys opinion
Thanks

Hey josh,
The speed 3 swap would be a lot more trouble than its worth. The MZR is very different from the regular MZ3 motors. Check out this thread from a guy who had the same problem with a 2.3 duratec (basically the same as the mazda 2.3) http://forums.focaljet.com/duratec-tuning/645007-duratec-mzr-swap.html

What kind of a mazda 3 do you have? 2.3? or 2.0? If its a 2.3, a 2.0 conversion is doable, some hard work, but a doable swap with minimal investment. My expenses were as follows:
2.0 2007 VVTI motor = $500
ECU from 2008= $100
Reprogram = $100
Wiring harness 2008 VVTI 2.0 = $50 taken apart myself.
Then fluids, belts, plugs, etc etc. It adds up. But you can do it for under $1500 with a good priced motor. Lots of hard work. Way more reliable than those 2.3's ...

Back