Bastian's P5 on a college budget

that's crazy that the tickets sell out so fast!

I wish I could run a full Yakima or Thule system, but since I have the base roof rails, I'd have to hunt around for filler strips and it just isn't worth it.

Today was the final nail in the coffin for the Inno fairing.

DO NOT BUY AN INNO FAIRING FOR A PROTEGE5 WITH STOCK ROOF RACK. IT WILL NOT WORK.

I've determined that even if I could get the thing to mount without having the bolts holding it off the roof, it would be at such a sharp angle that it looks insanely goofy and I doubt it would do anything to help with wind noise. The medium is just a hair too long, and the small is stupidly small.

Don't waste your money

Find you a tall, cheap, rectangular, plastic trashcan and cut your own

ptc-23k.jpg

Hey man nice ride and i like the stereo but do yourself a favor man and put a drop kit on the car. Get the Tein S tech springs and Tokico Blue Shocks that's what i have on my car. It lowers the car 1.8 inches in the back and 1.5 in the front it looks awesome in the end. Also do yourself a favor and remove those Hub caps because there really ugly at least throw some five star Hubcaps on there

Those trashcans work great fro mudflaps too. You can download a mudflap template online and use that to cut up smaller trashcans

I actually tried to use trash cans for mudflaps, but I couldn't find cans large enough. I decided the $17 rally armor ones were well worth it.

Yo bastian, I got my inno fairing in today and put it on. It doesn't go all the way across, but I think it actually fits pretty good right in the center. As for the plastic nuts that touch the roof - I simply cut off the excess plastic on the nuts with some wire cutters, and they do not touch the roof any longer-the fairing lays perfect on the roof now. It took a little adjusting to get the fairing to lay flat, but I was able to get it spot on!

Also, I see what you mean about the angle of the fairing. It isn't as upright as it would be on some other cars because our cross bars or rather low, I think. However, I have noticed a drastic reduction in wind noise thus far. When I get a little more time, I am going to attempt fab some different feet for it that lay a little lower to close up the gap between the fairing and the roof. However, I am quite pleased with it.

I'm fine with the size of it, but I think you could easily order some ABS plastic off of amazon or wherever and cut your own fairing shape. You could use the brackets it came with if you really wanted it to go farther across.

Anyway, that's my review!

That's good to hear that you got it to work (2thumbs) it just wasn't what I personally was looking for.

A different rack will turn in to a whole lot of money. The only gripe I have at this point is that I can't get a fairing that is to my tastes. I've already gone through all the bulls*** of getting all the adapters to run ski racks and bike racks, it would be silly to start over just for a fairing. That, and the filler strips to replace the factory rack are a b**** to get, along with pulling the headliner to uninstall the factory racks, etc

long story short, I probably won't have a fairing until my next car... lol

As I may have said earlier, im pretty happy now that I have no factory system :) no offence.

Yep racks aren't cheap...unless you can find a used one. I have one from my old car that I bought on craigslist for 100 bucks.

So I finally got my phone mount all set up and working and figured I'd download a dash cam app. Works pretty well. Here's a quick clip from it... in case you've ever wondered what happens when you mount your mudflaps too low and then put five guys in a Protege5 with 10 year old struts and springs and then go around a corner, listen to the sound at around 18 seconds. Then you also hear me start to say "This car is so slow" hahahaha

[video]http://s225.beta.photobucket.com/user/Jimmy_Buckets/media/7F9C9C09-2F33-4FC9-836E-20843CED21AD-1163-00000176A8B9BE94_zpsea23fbbd.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
So the mazda3 wheels weren't going to work out due to extenuating circumstances

BUT

visiongt9506 had some extra wheels laying around, which he gave to me at a price I couldn't refuse. Drove a few hours to his place, snapped a few pics, talked proteges, tossed 8 wheels in my car and I was on my way (2thumbs)

DSC_0006_zpsb4903be5.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsb0f7c15b.jpg

One set of wheels are stock 2002 P5 wheels with three good tires, painted this awesome dark bronze color. The other set are probe "swirlies" painted white with blue splatter, which is also awesome, but with no tires. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll probably end up tossing a new tire on the P5 wheels and putting those on the car and either save up for four new tires for the probe wheels or use them as winter wheels... decisions decisions

youd hate me if you knew what i paid for my thule rack with fitkit for the p5. deals are out there! its so much better than the factory rack for carrying anything. If i ever decide to get a whisper bar system just because I can, ill let you know :D

Back