Anybody installed the cross bars on their 2016 yet? Seems easy but

Here's a related question -- Can we install aftermarket crossbars (e.g., Thule) on the OEM roof rails or are we limited to the Mazda crossbars?

Here's a related question -- Can we install aftermarket crossbars (e.g., Thule) on the OEM roof rails or are we limited to the Mazda crossbars?

I figured the Mazda crossbars would be the best bet, but I'm disappointed with how close together they are. The roof rails have some caps that cover (I'm guessing) the mounting bolts but it doesn't look like they would be configured to allow other types of crossbars.

Still guessing, it looks like the choices are to either use Mazda's complete system of OEM roof rails and cross bars or to remove the roof rails and mount another type of rack system to the roof rail mounting brackets.

I wonder if there is any way to add another cross rail mounting point to the roof rails. With them so close together, any kind of longboard, paddle board, or kayak is going to extend about four feet to the front and rear of the racks, adding high leverage to the air lift when driving on the freeway.

Back