Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. bulls*** this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS ... ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

Is anybody else having this problem? What do you think i should do now?

A lot of people are complaining about the mirror vibration. It doesnt bother me all that much though personally. Im not sure that the passenger mirror is any better. It just isnt as noticable because you are much further from it. The further you are away the less it will appear to vibrate. I havent been a passenger in my cx5 yet though. I like to drive it. :)

I have so many problems with this CX-5 I don't even know where to start.

Based on this information I would not recommend buying the CX-5 for anyone. It is nothing against Mazda as we previously owned a 2007 3 and have nothing but amazing things to say about it.

Welcome to my world.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a hail storm comes through and insurance totals my CX-5.

I'm ready to leave this car behind and get into something else.

I read this entire thread and it seems like there are a lot of small problems with this vehicle. There's actually too many for my liking. I will wait for the 2014 model. Hopefully it will come out early next year and fix a few of the problems without raising the price too much.

I read this entire thread and it seems like there are a lot of small problems with this vehicle. There's actually too many for my liking. I will wait for the 2014 model. Hopefully it will come out early next year and fix a few of the problems without raising the price too much.

Lol this is what u get when u read a post asking for complaints. You can find similar threads on bulletin boards for even the most highly regarded products, such as those from Apple. Incidentally, I think the exact reason Apple is so wildly successful is because their products stand out in a world of lowered expectations and 'beta' products (poorly designed, tested, and rushed to market - ie half-baked). Mazda is breaking some new ground here with design innovations in the body and engine which make buying this vehicle a little bit of a risk long term perhaps. If anyone wants a little less risk, although not necessarily better design or quality, buy a Honda or Toyota. You will be bored to tears, bit that's what life is like without risk ...

I agree. I think if a mirror that vibrates at speed is the most widespread worst problem so far, which has a tsb in the works, thats pretty damn good. Every car has its minor problems and most have some major problems. Most of them far worse than the cx5 so far. Every manufacturer and model of car has a forum full of various issues. But the few unhappy people so far seem to be having dealer issues and they are blaming the car instead.

That is of course negating the major issues making this car a pos like over inflated tires and under filled washer fluid. *sarcasm*

Last edited:
I also agree. I haven't really heard any big problems yet (IMO), even on this thread. To decide based on what is in here (and remember these are still very early delivery examples) that the car is generally a lemon and should be avoided is an overreaction to say the least. Is mine perfect? No. I have a steering issue affecting power steer, AFS, i-stop, reverse camera. Will they fix it? Yes! Do I wish I had bought something else? Absolutely not. I think it is a worthwhile thread to point out and spot defect trends, but to dismiss the car outright based on what is in this thread just means you're missing out on a great car.

I wish you guys could experience the diesel option, it would help you overcome your doubts a lot easier ;)

Sorry that does so like a whole lot of issues. Sounds like 2 or three small issues. This is why you have a warranty. Cars are made of thousands of parts and there is always a chance that one of those parts may have an issue. The corrosion on the latch is probably a parts supplier issue. It doesn't mean that the rest of the car is going to rust. The hopping could be a bad strut, which should be replaced.

Bottom line IMO sounds like the dealer is more of an issue than the car. Try to keep things in perspective stuff happens to all cars, it's just the law of averages.

The vehicle does have warranty, but that doesn't help me sleep any easier at night knowing I may very well have bought a nearly $40k lemon. It also doesn't help me in 3 years time when Mazda's pathetic warranty expires.

While I agree with you that some of my issues stem from my terrible sales manager, the extra 3-5 days fix time for the next 10-12 months is due to Mazda Canada. It may not be a problem for most people, but so far it has been a major inconvenience for my family. You may also be right about the corroded part being a part supplier issue but I have my doubts. I used to deal with ordering parts for machinery on a daily basis and while it wasn't uncommon for a part to arrive broken or faulty, I never once got a brand new part for a brand new machine that was corroded. A 4 days old vehicle should not have corrosion damage period.

Bottom line is when I buy a new vehicle, I expect to be wowed like I was with my 3. So far the only feeling I have for this CX-5 is disappointment. The triviality of my issues will not change that.

The vehicle does have warranty, but that doesn't help me sleep any easier at night knowing I may very well have bought a nearly $40k lemon.
It also doesn't help me in 3 years time when Mazda's pathetic warranty expires.
While I agree with you that some of my issues stem from my terrible sales manager, the extra 3-5 days fix time for the next 10-12 months is due to Mazda Canada. It may not be a problem for most people, but so far it has been a major inconvenience for my family. You may also be right about the corroded part being a part supplier issue but I have my doubts. I used to deal with ordering parts for machinery on a daily basis and while it wasn't uncommon for a part to arrive broken or faulty, I never once got a brand new part for a brand new machine that was corroded. A 4 days old vehicle should not have corrosion damage period.

Bottom line is when I buy a new vehicle, I expect to be wowed like I was with my 3. So far the only feeling I have for this CX-5 is disappointment. The triviality of my issues will not change that.

What is so pathetic about Mazda`s warranty comparing to Honda`s or Toyota`s for example?
You can always buy extandet warranty if you can`t sleep at night

Wow, lots of complaints in this thread.

A few issues I can chime in on:

1) The headrests are becoming a common complaint among new car buyers. Some people have slightly bent the posts to give an extra bit of room.
2) Fluttering hoods - this will become more common as we get closer to 2016. Car makers are under a lot of pressure to get better mileage and one of the best ways to do that is using thinner/lighter materials. My company car is a '11 Toyota Highlander and it's hood flutters at high speeds, particularly when heading into the wind. It is not likely that Mazda will redesign anything to rectify this.
3) Rear windows down (only) makes eardrums hurt - as mentioned, this is another very common trait across many new(er) cars - it's due to aerodynamics. My '07 Accord also did it. If you slightly crack one of the front windows, it will likely go away.

Every car I've ever owned makes a boom-boom noise when you lower rear windows by themselves. It's just physics.

These sound like very minor problems. Try owning a German car over 12 years old. Not to get political, but a lot of the fluttering sheet metal things are the result of letting a nanny state government to make decisions rather than automotive engineers. There's no fixing that. Every car on the round could have the vault-like build quality of a W124 (late 80's early 90's) Mercedes if we weren't such unrealistic babies and asked for 18 airbags, 14 different kinds of traction-stability-etc-control and a fleet average of 46 mpg.

What is so pathetic about Mazda`s warranty comparing to Honda`s or Toyota`s for example?
You can always buy extandet warranty if you can`t sleep at night

Yes, those 2 companies have the same pathetic warranty. No arguments here.

Funny you mention that. We paid about $2000 up front for the 6 year 150k warranty on our 3 in 2007. It ended up being the reason we sold it. We never had a mechanical problem that was covered by the warranty the entire time we owned it (props to Mazda). However, the only thing the extended warranty did was lock us into $400 Mazda service appointments after 100k to maintain the warranty. When we were trying to figure out what we would get for a trade in, one of the questions each dealer asked us was "how much did you spend in service and maintenance in the last 6 months?". Our figure was over $2000 (Break pads, control arm bushings, A/C lines and spark plugs all had to be replaced). Every single dealer's eyes shot open when they heard that (including Mazda). Needless to say we passed this time around. Hindsight is always 20/20.

EDIT: I wonder if the hopping feeling I'm getting from the front passenger side might have something to do with the hood wobble as mentioned before.

Last edited:

THIS x10000000

I'll admit a lot of the issues are trivial. But I'm comparing the cx-5 to my last two vehicles that were Hondas and for me at least were flawless. No issues trivial or otherwise. I guess that is why these issues with my cx-5 are so hard to swallow. Imagine owning two previous new cars that were flawless and then owning a third that has a bunch of "trivial" issues. It's frustrating to say the least! Made even more frustrating because of a lack of dealer support. I've never had such a terrible car buying experience than I did at the Mazda dealership I bought the cx-5 from. That sticks with you.

Last edited:
Guys, it's the law of averages. Everyone, if they buy enough products, will eventually buy a product that wil have some issues. If the engine was exploding or the tranny failing then you may have a point. But these are small defects. Sure they're annoying but in the overall scheme of things they are minor. This is a first year vehicle and it's typical for first year vehicles to have small issues. Suppliers are still trying to meet quality specs and manufacturing yields are still ramping up. It's normal stuff.

Keanman which year was your Mz 3 and plemieux which years were your hondas? Despite what marketing may spin EVERY manufacturer has their issues. Ultimately it's the law of averages that dictates whether you get issues or not. And please to say these cars are lemons is ridiculous.

I've never had such a terrible car buying experience than I did at the Mazda dealership I bought the cx-5 from. That sticks with you.

I to had a terrible buying experience when i purchased my cx5, but that does not mean i should hate my car too."Don't hate the player hate the game "

Keanman which year was your Mz 3 and plemieux which years were your hondas? Despite what marketing may spin EVERY manufacturer has their issues. Ultimately it's the law of averages that dictates whether you get issues or not. And please to say these cars are lemons is ridiculous.

My 3 GX was a 2007.

I am not jumping to conclusions and labelling my CX-5 a lemon. I'm just worried that I may have one. Which is a very valid thought given my issues. Only time will tell. I know exactly what you mean about the law of averages and I think that's part of what is making me so worried.

All I'm trying to get across in this complaint thread is that I have some issues and so far I am not happy with my vehicle and to possibly get some answers. Hopefully if a potential buyer is reading, they can judge for themselves if they would be bothered by the same issues I am having. I am not bothered by the mirror vibration or the headrests. Go figure lol.

Last edited:
Welcome to my world.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a hail storm comes through and insurance totals my CX-5.

If you don't like your car, stop bitching and get rid of it, or set it on fire and call the insurance company. Every time someone has something to say, you chime in and tell everyone how much you hate your car.

We get it. Your car is a TOTAL POS compared to the impeccable fit and finish of a Fit.

But look on the bright side. My friends $60k Mercedes had a HELL of a lot more problems than you've described. I was with him on one trip to the dealer, and I got talking to a guy who dropped his $200k SL65 off for a $2k starter replacement. I asked him how he liked his car, and he responded with, "its great...when I can actually drive it. Its sad when you have to buy a $16k Kia to drive because your $200k benz is in the shop so much". Talk about feeling let down about your purchase.

Welcome to my world.

A troll...................................

Certainly some droning about the same old petty issues, over and over....

So for those trying to read about problems and related solutions, it's a lot to sift though for anything useful.

Agreed needs to consider getting rid of it and buying a Fit again.

Last edited:
+3

The Cx5 is one of the hottest cars on the market right now, so the trade/sell value for a nearly brand new one has to be very good. You can probably unload it without losing a dime. Go buy a Honda or VW and find out just how far the quality has dropped on those. And then be honest and go b**** in those forums just the same as here, when you realize it's not on par with a rolls royce.

My 3 GX was a 2007.

I am not jumping to conclusions and labelling my CX-5 a lemon. I'm just worried that I may have one. Which is a very valid thought given my issues. Only time will tell. I know exactly what you mean about the law of averages and I think that's part of what is making me so worried.

All I'm trying to get across in this complaint thread is that I have some issues and so far I am not happy with my vehicle and to possibly get some answers. Hopefully if a potential buyer is reading, they can judge for themselves if they would be bothered by the same issues I am having. I am not bothered by the mirror vibration or the headrests. Go figure lol.

Fwiw, I had a 2004 Mazda 3 (first year they were in USA) and I had a few niggling issues related to first year products including rattles, poor fitting trim etc. yet that car was dead nuts reliable for the 4 years I had it (traded it in on a 2008 MS3). Mazda has been very good about killing first year bugs early which is probably why your 2007 was "perfect".

The fact that the CX5 is a completely new ground up design and in its first year (many first year designs are major refreshes and not ground up designs, and these boards show very few serious issues, is a testament to Mazda's quality IMO. The fact they are flying Mazda engineers out to root cause any issue is equally impressive and shows that Mazda is trying to drive any bugs out very quickly. I know of no other car company that is taking such a proactive approach to stabilizing their product quickly.

Last edited:
Back