About to buy my first Mazda, having Subaru guilt...

I have a 2021 non turbo cx5. I love everything about it, but regarding the questions you asked - I have been going on snow covered dirt roads in colorado and been fine. The stock tires are fine in snow but the little off road button (i think) helps and for them not being snow tires they do pretty well. And with pickup, I feel it’s plenty. It’s not fast but not slow either, but it’s fast enough to be fun around town when you step on it.

I would say that while Subaru's AWD might be better
Not a criticism of you sm1ke, but I hate that Subaru's marketing has worked here.

While symmetric, there isnt anything special about Subaru's for most of their lineup. It's just two open differentials eith some "brake differential" action on the latest models.

Compare that to say the first and second generation Mitsubishi Outlander GT with S-AWC. It has a true, electronically actuated front locking differential allowing you to spin on 3 wheels instead of the two you'd spin with open front and rear diffs.

I'd argue that in this case, either vehicle would serve well enough in the snow so long as you have snow tires. The stock Toyos leave a lot to be desired in the snow however.

Not a criticism of you sm1ke, but I hate that Subaru's marketing has worked here.

While symmetric, there isnt anything special about Subaru's for most of their lineup. It's just two open differentials eith some "brake differential" action on the latest models.

Compare that to say the first and second generation Mitsubishi Outlander GT with S-AWC. It has a true, electronically actuated front locking differential allowing you to spin on 3 wheels instead of the two you'd spin with open front and rear diffs.

I'd argue that in this case, either vehicle would serve well enough in the snow so long as you have snow tires. The stock Toyos leave a lot to be desired in the snow however.

I did say might. I have no first-hand experience with any Subaru vehicles, but I do have family members and friends who swear by their AWD system. I fully agree with your last statement.

I didn't look at Crosstrek but I did check out the Forester as well as the Outback before getting the CX-5.
We get quite a lot of snow where I live, and snow tires are mandatory. I haven't had any problems driving on snow/ice (I sometimes take ice-covered alleyways to save a minute or two when driving to work) and I found the CX-5 to be very capable -- especially in off-road mode.

The 2.5 NA is more than enough for me, especially when you switch to sport mode/manual. Similar to other cars, the CX-5 tends to shift to higher gears a little bit too quickly to save fuel, so you find yourself on 6th gear at 60 km/h. That being said, my commute to work (30 kilometers one way) is 40% city and 60% highway, and I never found myself wanting more power.

I don't think CVTs deserve the hate they get. They are exceptional for city driving or highway cruising. At 100kmh (62mph) my CX-5 does 2500rpms (6th gear). I am sure that with a CVT (or a 7th gear), it would go below 2000rpm. They are horrible for spirited driving though.

Another reason why I went for the CX-5 instead of a Subaru was (and I know this is not a big deal) the fact that Subaru doesn't offer rain-sensing wipers, even in the top trims. I am really happy with the level of equipment my CX-5 has, and I don't even have the top trim.
I sat in the Forester and the Outback, and although they have good build/material quality, I found the CX-5 to be a notch better.

Tell me how your CX5 is in the snow. Do you buy snow tires? I live in MN. Do you feel the 2.5L engine gives you adequate pick up? The Crosstrek felt "anemic." Both have great safety ratings.

With proper winter type tires, the CX-5 can be pretty good in the snow. Just as any AWD vehicle can be fairly crummy in the snow and ice, without appropriate winter-capable tires. AWD helps, but it simply cannot replace good tires for the conditions.

I've had one Subaru previously, and with winter tires I'd say it bests the CX-5 (a bit) in nasty wintry conditions, but not by as much as the "hype" about Subarus would lead one to believe, IMO.

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD 2.5L, here. Just finishing my second winter on the car. Have a set of Nokian WR G4 SUV tires in 235/55-19 sizing, which is their all-"weather" tire. Basically, it's a near-winter tire that has year-'round tread compound. It's certainly overkill for the 8mos of the year without snow threat, but it's comforting to know it's capable of handling any severe weather, snow/ice/slush, rain, as well as "normal" summer conditions.

As far as acceleration, I think it's okay. If I were to do another CX-5, I suspect I'd opt for the turbocharged model. The one I've got has the 2.5L engine, and "sport" mode on the transmission. Flick it into "sport" mode and it'll give a noticeable boost in performance (at the cost of gas consumption, of course).

On my third Mazda, currently (Mazda3, Miata, CX-5). Highly recommend the brand, and I'm fairly impressed with the CX-5. It's comfy, somewhat sporty for the SUV format, and modestly fuel-efficient.

I drove Subarus from 1980 to 2015. The newest one I owned was a 2009 Outback. They were all great vehicles, although the '09 was not nearly as reliable as the older ones, and I don't think they have improved. I live in west central Colorado, and drive in snow and ice for 3 to 4 months every year. This is our second winter with a 2017 CX-5. I've run snow tires on both vehicles during the mid-winter months. No question in my mind that the Subaru edges out the Mazda in the snow, but only by a very small margin that is irrelevant in comparison to everything else that my wife and I like better about the Mazda. I have just noticed a tiny wheel slip/spin, I mean for a split second, a couple of times. Then the car catches it and corrects. I never had any sense of a delay with the Subarus. Again, extremely minor.

I find the Mazda to have plenty of power, even in the mountains. I live in a pretty rural area, so I’m not driving freeways at 90 mph everyday and trying to go to 110 to pass, or whatever others are doing. For us, even passing in the mountains, on two lane roads often blocked by lumbering RV's, the Mazda accelerates just fine. I’ve driven a few CVTs, and they have all felt like slush when trying to pass on a grade. The Six-speed auto is almost always in the exact right gear, to the point that I almost never have to use Sport Mode, or select a gear for going uphill. I do have to manually downshift for downhill. Our ups and downs are several miles long though.

The handling of the Mazda is so much better, it’s not even comparable. I’ve not driven a Crosstrek, but our Outbacks were pigs, even with upgraded shocks. The Mazda is tight and solid, it doesn’t wallow in corners, and holds a line extremely well for a crossover.

We get 28 to 32 mpg on average on regular gas, but we spend most of our time at <70mph. City driving is about 27 to 29.

Some of what I like about the Mazda, cornering, instant acceleration, solid feel, might not matter so much if you’re mainly driving flat, straight roads, but for me it’s important.

So for winter, you’d be fine I think. For everything else, you may prefer the Mazda.

I know many of yo have, but I think that at least 50% of those haters never drove one.
I was a Nissan guy back in the early 2000's, and when they started switching over to CVT's in some of their lineup in 2003, I checked them out. OMG they were terrible. It was like driving a snowmobile.
I know these were the first gen units, and they have improved since, I guess, but those early cars with CVT's turned me away from them.
Now of course you read all about modern CVT's having fake shift points programmed into them....to make them feel like a "normal" automatic. Ok, well, if manufacturers want to make them feel normal, here's an idea: use a normal automatic and stop trying to maker a CVT act like a non CVT. What's the point?

I was a Nissan guy back in the early 2000's, and when they started switching over to CVT's in some of their lineup in 2003, I checked them out. OMG they were terrible. It was like driving a snowmobile.
I know these were the first gen units, and they have improved since, I guess, but those early cars with CVT's turned me away from them.
Now of course you read all about modern CVT's having fake shift points programmed into them....to make them feel like a "normal" automatic. Ok, well, if manufacturers want to make them feel normal, here's an idea: use a normal automatic and stop trying to maker a CVT act like a non CVT. What's the point?
As you mentioned, CVTs have improved drastically.

They have fake shift points when you're accelerating so the engine doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. But at least the Toyotas have 10 shift points so it acts like a 10-speed auto in manual mode, and even when it "shifts" you don't go down much in revs.

To me, CVTs have two advantages:
1) The option to cruise at low rpms.
2) More efficient engine braking

I can't imagine a Mazda with a CVT because of the driving dynamics, but I don't mind seeing them in a Corolla/Civic/Prius.

Agree with @mrplt, I think CVTs have their place. We offer ZF CVTs as an option in our tractors because they're more fuel efficient and much easier to use. They make sense on cars like the Prius or Rav4 Prime, where fuel efficiency is prioritized.

I think the OP may have decided on the Crosstrek, no news lately...Of course on any Mazda forum people will say go for the CX-5 and on any Subaru forum people will say go for the Crosstrek! I've owned a 1997 Outback and a 2008 Impreza but they have changed so much since so I can't comment on their latest offering.

Price wise there's an overlap between top trims Crosstrek and lower/middle trims CX-5 hence the hesitation from the OP as they are on top of their respective class . I've owned two Murano with CVT (2014 and 2017) and I much prefer the 6 speed in my CX-5. I've had a power back door on my last 3 vehicles which the Crosstrek doesn't offer. It all depends what we want in a vehicle.

had 2 WRX's, a 2005 an a 2013. the 2005 I had for 9 years. I'd buy it a Subaru in an instant without hesitation. Would be driving a Forester or Crosstrek now if they had put their turbo engine in it (resale on used Scooby's are insane).

I don't know if the system has changed, but it was true AWD - put it on a lift and all 4 wheels would turn when in drive. Don't know if that's typical, but Subaru AWD provides power to all wheels at all times. I know that in the snow, like when making an accelerated right turn (no traffic) form a stop, the lack of spin and pull was incredible. I'm not saying that the CX-5 isn't good enough for 90% of us, I'm saying that it seems that those who have driven both can attest to Subaru's superiority in this area

The wrx all wheel drive system is different from the crosstrek, all subaru have slight variation. Just saying not all subarus are equal.

Also. Haven’t tried it but i think all four wheel spinning on a lift is normal. There is no resistance to any of the wheel. If you stop one of them then you would start seeing the behaviour of open vs closed differentials.

That being said. I think Subaru’s all wheel drive is always engaged i believe, compared to most all wheel drive which wait for the front to spin before sending power to the rear.

Back