About to buy my first Mazda, having Subaru guilt...

I have a downpayment on a 2022 Crosstrek as well as a 2022 CX5 and I'm torn. Tell me how your CX5 is in the snow. Do you buy snow tires? I live in MN. Do you feel the 2.5L engine gives you adequate pick up? The Crosstrek felt "anemic." Both have great safety ratings. I guess I'm asking what you love about the CX5. I was sure I was going to get the Crosstrek until I drove the MAZDA. Have any of you owned both brands? Please share your thoughts. Mileage in the Mazda is not as good as Subaru and I'm aware they are two different categories. Thanks in advance. I know it's a first world problem, but I'm having trouble deciding. Maybe you can help.

I have a CX-9 with winter tires. I would say that while Subaru's AWD might be better, it doesn't beat a good set of winter tires and an experienced driver behind the wheel. I would opt for the CX-5, and get a set of winter tires. Depending on your preferences for interior design, safety features, transmission, cargo space, and overall looks, the CX-5 may come out on top. The Crosstrek with winter tires may be better in the snow than the CX-5 with winter tires, but that doesn't mean the CX-5 is undrivable in snow. Keep in mind that the CX-5 only comes with a 6-speed auto, while the Crosstrek is available with a 6-speed manual or a CVT. Also note that Subaru has lane centering, while Mazda only has lane keep assist at this time.

Of course, I am biased. A friend of mine was deciding between a CX-9 and an Ascent, and he ended up with the Ascent, partially because his brother works for the dealership, but largely because he prefers the look of the Ascent.

I have a downpayment on a 2022 Crosstrek as well as a 2022 CX5 and I'm torn. Tell me how your CX5 is in the snow. Do you buy snow tires? I live in MN. Do you feel the 2.5L engine gives you adequate pick up? The Crosstrek felt "anemic." Both have great safety ratings. I guess I'm asking what you love about the CX5. I was sure I was going to get the Crosstrek until I drove the MAZDA. Have any of you owned both brands? Please share your thoughts. Mileage in the Mazda is not as good as Subaru and I'm aware they are two different categories. Thanks in advance. I know it's a first world problem, but I'm having trouble deciding. Maybe you can help.
You didn't say which Crosstrek engine you tested. If it was the 2.0L/152 hp you should go back and test the 2.5L/182 hp to make a fair comparison. If you tested the 2.5L automatic, then the CVT is probably the double edged sword that yields better fuel economy and at the same time what you sensed as "anemic".

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I have a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve with Turbo. My wife has a 2018 Subaru Outback Limited. Both have been excellent vehicles & reliability has been great with both. Feature wise & price was similar except my Mazda has the turbo. My wife is happy with her Outback but I do prefer my Mazda, especially in the fun to drive category.
My first CX-5 GTR was rear ended & totaled 4 months in & I liked it enough to replace it with it's clone.

Realize that you are comparing the subcompact Crosstrek to the compact CX-5.

Anyway, the 2.5NA in the CX5 is adequate, but needs to be revved to make power as the torque curve is high. I would prefer the turbo, but it was not an option when I got my 2018. I don't like the CVT of the Crosstrek.

I have driven my CX-5 in the snow multiple times, and the AWD system is really excellent. While Subaru has better marketing, the Mazda will be fine in the snow and ice (and I had a 4Runner prior to the Mazda and I like the Mazda AWD system better). I have the original all season tires.

You didn't say which Crosstrek engine you tested. If it was the 2.0L/152 hp you should go back and test the 2.5L/182 hp to make a fair comparison.
He was def driving the slower one. I test drove both back in 16 when that was the only engine they offer in the Subie. I noped right the F out of that after I drove the Mazda.

Sorry, I meant to double quote. Because this is also very true. You are not at all comparing similar vehicles. Drive a Forester. That is Subaru's CX5.

This is purely anecdotal, but any friends and family members that had Subarus's never went back to them. One and done. My neighbours had a Crosstek that they just got rid of. Slow as molasses. Other family members and friends had older Subaru's that became money pits as they got older.
Like I said, anecdotal, but enough negative stories for me to avoid them when car shopping.

@BonnieMN Since you're aware that they're in two different categories as mentioned in the OP, it might be worth mentioning that the difference in curb weight (100lbs to 700lbs, depending on Crosstrek trim) may also play a factor in how well the cars handle the snow.

While Crosstrek may be a subcompact in Subaru's lineup, it's a bit closer in size to CX-5 than CX-30 as CX-5 is scaled smaller than many compact competitors. What's interesting is the curb weights:

CX-30: 173" long; 45 cf; cargo behind first row; 3,400-3,500 lbs. curb weight
Crosstrek: 177" long; 55 cf cargo behind first row; 3,100 - 3,300 lbs. curb weight
CX-50: 180" long; 59 cf cargo behind first row; 3,700 - 3,850 lbs. curb weight

While CVTs are lighter than conventional automatics that does not account for the significant differences in curb weight. Shaving weight might be good for fuel economy but at what cost to durability?

One of my good friends had a Crosstrek. The sound system was nice and the rest of the car sucked. The Mazda is just a great experience minus the seats. Otherwise, great vehicle.

You may have been misled by a link such as this:

That page states that 600 lb. spread in trims but when you look at their table the spread is 100 lbs. which is consistent with other references.

It is trim specific. The plug-in hybrid trim adds the extra weight. That said, in MN the plug-in hybrid is not likely to be offered, so you're right, the spread might as well be about 100 lbs, making it a non-factor. Thanks for the correction.

It is trim specific. The plug-in hybrid trim adds the extra weight. That said, in MN the plug-in hybrid is not likely to be offered, so you're right, the spread might as well be about 100 lbs, making it a non-factor. Thanks for the correction.
No, thanks for your correction! ;) The hybrid does tip the scales at 3,700 lbs. The question remains where the Subaru weight shaving was applied besides CVT when comparing petrol apples to apples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally would say it depends of your priorities. Mazda’s in general are better quality vehicles overall than Subaru. I always found myself that subaru feel slapped together from a bunch of different part bins. They do have their cult following for some reason however, and they have a good all wheel drive system (note i said good, not necessarily superior).

If we where comparing a forester to a CX-5, then i would say go with your personal preferences and need of comfort, interior space, etc. The mazda have better handling and stiffer suspension set-up, better interior material and quality. The forester has bigger interior dimensions, visibility and a softer ride.

But since you are comparing the crosstrek to a cx-5, they are class and world apart. I say go for the CX-5. This is due to the fact that a crosstrek is a lifted impreza, which is subaru’s lowest cost offering. So at it’s core, it is an economy box, where as a compact crossover is a class above. For example, if you had the choice of a fully loaded crosstrek for the same price as a less equipped forester, the forester would still be a better quality vehicle. (Or same thing when comparing a Honda HR-V to a CR-V, the HR-V quality is significantly lower than the CR-V.)

I am in Canada and always put snow tires on my cars. No matter how good your AWD is, it won’t help you brake, so winter tire it is for me. In fact, i find AWD to be even more dangerous without winter tires, because you don’t really notice how slippery it is until you brake. Without AWD you are more aware of the road conditions (but accelerating a lot slower from a stop, lol). I know some people are using all weather tire as well. Put the tire you are used to, but i don’t recommend using AWD as a reason not to install winter tires if you normally would put them on.

Last edited:
Back