7 finally makes it to a Mazda dealer...

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
CX5 GTR.
Alright, alright. I get it. It is ******* impressive. I was pretty surprised at how much quicker it feels. The interior is fantastic, of course. We know that. It certainly does feel like a more lux car then mine. No question. It's as if my car evolved. Of course it's also more expensive, too. It was very fun to drive. Very. I did get a tiny bit of torque steer when I floored it. That surprised me but did give me that old feeling from my Saab turbo cars: you better hold on tight! :D
Pretty glad my normal sales guy was off today. [emoji1787]
And while waiting for my fangs to be put on: I got to sit in the new 3.
It's very nice. Feels a lot more expensive inside then it really is. And I was wrong about the wagon...it does look better in person. I still like the previous gen better from the outside, but this one is nice, too. Blind spots aren't nearly as bad as I thought they'd be.
The interior... here comes that word again: ******* impressive. Wow. That interior is something else. Talk about feeling lux. The Commander Knob and Button area has been upgraded. I like it VERY much. Want. And the new infotainment?
Oh
My
God.
As some of you know I am a pretty staunch defender of the current gen infotainment. It doesn't take 2 minutes to load. bulls***. It's not clunky. It's not dated. It's very intuitive. My 8 year old figured it out.
Every time someone says it's dated those are some of my replies.

After sitting in the 3 and seeing what's coming to the rest of us?
It's ******* dated. Omg. I can't even look at mine anymore.
The new one is BEAUTIFUL to look at. Sleek. Menu driven, no more icons. A nice dark theme that looks gorgeous on that wide sunken screen.
Gotta be honest... The only thing that's now stopping me from buying a BLACK GT-R? That infotainment. This will NOT come to current gen cars. Service Manager doesn't know for sure but just about all the employees agree the 9 will get it next model year. Then the rest of the cars the following model year. So, probably 2020 for the CX5.
I'm not buying another CX5 to be outdated again in a year. [emoji16]

Finally, sat in a Miata for the first time. It's nice but never really interested me. Since my buddy Colorado used to talk about getting one but decided it was too small, I wanted to try it.
It is small. But not too small, I don't think. I'm 6 foot, 180. Fit me ok. Could use the seat back another 2 inches but I could be comfy in that car.

Obligatory pics.
ac7bb4130e6f64e25c300beadf4c6f25.jpg
16483d061b54bd3c71de49bb0c417191.jpg
53bfa7064f5d3497d730ba4b368a0233.jpg
7189bad0afd61acbb57862abae881fbe.jpg

Last edited:
The ND is an awesome car. I have one currently and its the longest sports car I have kept (went through 2 350z, 2 S2000s). Something about the Miata :). I like the CX5 (drove many test drives) but I think the new model year is coming soon...

I'm 6' but about 215. I have long legs though and it was just flat out uncomfortable. I otherwise totally am in love with the ND design, except for maybe the lack of a glove box.

I haven't test driven a Gen 2 yet, but I did get to drive a 2016 GT this weekend and I have to admit, just the sport mode was very nice as I guess I didn't fully understand what it did before. I have to say, I'd almost trade in my car for that. Almost. I like having no car payment better.

As for the commander knob, it was super nice sure, but was not a big deal to me while I was driving. That said, having accidently used a lens wipe on my infotainment screen last year, it is ruined and now I definitely need a new screen. I did like the layout of the infotainment on the 2016 (though its boot time was awful), I can only imagine its gotten even better.

Last edited:
I'm good with the current infotainment, but it is a touch laggy compared to other systems I've had in much older vehicles. Not a complaint, just honest evaluation. Also, yeah, you see what I've been saying now about the GT-R/SIG. Mazda NAILED the $45,000 market at $35,000.

Infotainment is not just a touch laggy. It does depend on what source was last used, though. If XM, it comes up within about 15 seconds. USB memory stick can take over a minute! Both are instantaneous in my 2013 Lexus. It's the only complaint I have with the vehicle.

Infotainment is not just a touch laggy. It does depend on what source was last used, though. If XM, it comes up within about 15 seconds. USB memory stick can take over a minute! Both are instantaneous in my 2013 Lexus. It's the only complaint I have with the vehicle.

Doesnt matter. Input with command knob, and XM travel info is laggy. Same for the weather map, etc. And it glitches out when you move and zoom for a minute or more at times where the weather looks clear in one square when its obviously not, etc.

Not all the time, just sometimes. Reminds me of a 10 year old computer that was cutting edge in its day but now struggles to perform some complex but routine tasks. No terrible, but not the showpiece of your household.

Good to hear the 3's infotainment isn't slow and laggy. I'm pretty sure it's going to trickle down to other new Mazdas. Since my CX-5 is less than 2 years old, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I'm definitely glad they have the turbo now and I'm excited to see how the next gen CX-5 will be. Probably by the next gen it'll be time to upgrade the car :D Plus, hope they can improve the mpg with the turbo in the next iteration.

Good to hear the 3's infotainment isn't slow and laggy. I'm pretty sure it's going to trickle down to other new Mazdas. Since my CX-5 is less than 2 years old, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I'm definitely glad they have the turbo now and I'm excited to see how the next gen CX-5 will be. Probably by the next gen it'll be time to upgrade the car :D Plus, hope they can improve the mpg with the turbo in the next iteration.

I'm excited to see what the new CX-5 model (when it comes out) has to offer as well. Does anyone have any idea when a newly redesigned CX-5 will most likely be released? I currently have a 17', and may upgrade when the new model comes out.

I may go test drive a 3 just to see what may come to the 5.

I'm excited to see what the new CX-5 model (when it comes out) has to offer as well. Does anyone have any idea when a newly redesigned CX-5 will most likely be released? I currently have a 17', and may upgrade when the new model comes out.

I may go test drive a 3 just to see what may come to the 5.

I dunno, Mazda re-did the CX5 for 2017 after dropping it in 2013. That's a 4-year lifecycle, which is absurdly short even for a volume-seller in this industry.

Most vehicles in this segment have a 6-8 year lifespan for their platform. I think the newest we will see a truly new CX5 is probably 2022. Sure, we may see new engine/infotainment stuff (CX5-D, trickle-down infotainment from the 3, etc.), but a full-on new CX5? I'm saying 2022YM purchasable in 2021 at the very earliest.

Couple that with the fact that being an early-adopter is never good, and 2024 is the soonest I would ever purchase a CX5 as a new model, money/cost be damned. I just don't believe in buying a platform/engine/transmission with less than 2 years out in the public on them, and even then there is still some quirks, often enough.

Last edited:
I dunno, Mazda re-did the CX5 for 2017 after dropping it in 2013. That's a 4-year lifecycle, which is absurdly short even for a volume-seller in this industry.

Most vehicles in this segment have a 6-8 year lifespan for their platform. I think the newest we will see a truly new CX5 is probably 2022. Sure, we may see new engine/infotainment stuff (CX5-D, trickle-down infotainment from the 3, etc.), but a full-on new CX5? I'm saying 2022YM purchasable in 2021 at the very earliest.

Couple that with the fact that being an early-adopter is never good, and 2024 is the soonest I would ever purchase a CX5 as a new model, money/cost be damned. I just don't believe in buying a platform/engine/transmission with less than 2 years out in the public on them, and even then there is still some quirks, often enough.
4 year, but it was 5 model years.

4 year, but it was 5 model years.

Fair 'nuff. My comment on early adopter still stands, though. I think the ticket to MY happiness is buying a vehicle in the last 1/3 of its model run, so that most if not all of the kinks are out of it, yet I have "the latest hotness" for another year or two, and once I no-longer have the latest and greatest, the new thing still has kinks, and by the time those kinks are worn out of it, I'm excited at the near prospect of MINE being paid off. To me, that's the perfect balance.

Service Manager said to expect the new infotainment on the 6 and CX5 in 2020 or 2021 at the latest. CX9 gets it next.
Here's the 3's.
https://youtu.be/ui7O9_dgAr0
There are still icons but you can see what I mean by more menu driven.

Finally, sat in a Miata for the first time. It's nice but never really interested me. Since my buddy Colorado used to talk about getting one but decided it was too small, I wanted to try it.
It is small. But not too small, I don't think. I'm 6 foot, 180. Fit me ok. Could use the seat back another 2 inches but I could be comfy in that car.

Drive a Miata and I expect you will want one.

Gotta be honest... The only thing that's now stopping me from buying a BLACK GT-R? That infotainment. This will NOT come to current gen cars. Service Manager doesn't know for sure but just about all the employees agree the 9 will get it next model year. Then the rest of the cars the following model year. So, probably 2020 for the CX5.
I'm not buying another CX5 to be outdated again in a year. [emoji16]

Wait till 20 or 21 and you may get the new infotainment PLUS the turbo even in a Touring trim! Or a Sport with a stick, too, or is that too much to ask? [probably]
They should have the turbo sorted out by then anyway.

Wait till 20 or 21 and you may get the new infotainment PLUS the turbo even in a Touring trim! Or a Sport with a stick, too, or is that too much to ask? [probably]
They should have the turbo sorted out by then anyway.
I would seriously consider a turbo CX-5 Touring with a chrome delete on that window chrome.

I don't think it'll happen though. GT-R is just a GT with a turbo isn't it? Or are there other features the GT doesn't have? Seems they are very much having the turbo be it's own high end trims. I sure as s*** won't upgrade my Gen 1 NA to a Gen 2 NA.

The KF (17 model) is mid life now so may well get facelifted any time and that might tie up with a media update as running two lines doesn*t make sense from a production point of view. The plastic nose and front bumper make changing the appearance easy in this model. It*s a good review but I personally don*t see the need for the bad language although our admin seem to encourage it.

I'll be dropping my vehicle off at the dealer on Monday for service and getting a loaner, hopefully it'll be one of these Turbo versions

I would seriously consider a turbo CX-5 Touring with a chrome delete on that window chrome.

I don't think it'll happen though. GT-R is just a GT with a turbo isn't it? Or are there other features the GT doesn't have? Seems they are very much having the turbo be it's own high end trims. I sure as s*** won't upgrade my Gen 1 NA to a Gen 2 NA.
Sales guy told me that chrome is really easy to remove. [emoji16] Pleased about that.

GT-R also gets the leather interior and auto-folding side mirrors, FWIW. First thing I did was to turn my mirrors off.

Signature piles on a whole bunch of other stuff...the 360 camera and front/rear parking sensors being the most notable. Everything else is somewhat cosmetic.

GT-R also gets the leather interior and auto-folding side mirrors, FWIW. First thing I did was to turn my mirrors off.

Signature piles on a whole bunch of other stuff...the 360 camera and front/rear parking sensors being the most notable. Everything else is somewhat cosmetic.

When I brought my Signature home, I referred to the owner's manual and turned my auto-folding mirrors off before I shut down for the first time.
I've yet to park in a spot tight enough that I felt the need to fold them ... but at least a simple turn of the rotary knob simplifes the procedure.

Back