Reason #1 and #2 why it's better to change your own oil Vs a dealer

they going to keep arguing with you no matter how right you are :).

Who's arguing?

I don't think I would have any trouble holding an empty jug up to the Fumoto to catch the used oil. That said, usually when I do my oil changes, I don't drain into an empty jug. I use an oil drain container like this one. I remove the drain plug, set it aside, and while I'm waiting for the oil to drain into the container, I can also loosen and remove the used oil filter and prep the new one. By the time the new filter is installed, I can reinstall the drain plug.

I can appreciate trying to manage how dirty you have to get doing an oil change. For me, I've accepted that because I'm already rolling around on the ground, and that I'll likely get dirty unscrewing the oil filter anyway, the bit of extra cleanup is fine with me.

The only way to be able to hold a 5 qt jug right up to the valve would be if you had the car sitting way high on jackstands, on tall ramps, or to have the car on a lift. The lift is out for most of us but jackstands and ramps will work of course.

I personally don't like to raise the car that high on stands if I don't have to, in fact, when I change the oil in the CX I just pull the car onto my homemade ramps (raises the front by ~3"), and all is well.

full
I have cheap harbor freight ramps that are easy to store and hold my 7000lb truck with no problem. I can move around under the cx5 with no problem and I am old fat guy.
IMG_3177.JPEG

The only way to be able to hold a 5 qt jug right up to the valve would be if you had the car sitting way high on jackstands, on tall ramps, or to have the car on a lift. The lift is out for most of us but jackstands and ramps will work of course.
Indeed I use Rhino Ramps :cool:

I have cheap harbor freight ramps that are easy to store and hold my 7000lb truck with no problem. I can move around under the cx5 with no problem and I am old fat guy. View attachment 325833

7000lb truck? I have one of those myself, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Crew cab long bed diesel.

No ramps needed. The truck has PLENTY of room to work with since it has plenty of ground clearance as is.

Do you have any issues with the ramps trying to slide out while you're driving up on them?

I have the Fumoto with a nipple on drain so just run a short run of vinyl hose to my drain jug. I also use Rhino ramps… no sliding out with mine

7000lb truck? I have one of those myself, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Crew cab long bed diesel.

No ramps needed. The truck has PLENTY of room to work with since it has plenty of ground clearance as is.

Do you have any issues with the ramps trying to slide out while you're driving up on them?
I have not. they have a rubber pad built in. I actually use 4 to put my Ram up on. Does it need to be up that high? no, but sure nice having the space.

Attachments

• 4231.jpeg
    4231.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
so I did my first oil change after the dealership's 3 free oil changes. Read my first post in this thread....as well as my post from what did you do to your cx5 today.
so just a follow up. I texted the service department and left a message and last night I got a call from the service manager. he asked me to bring my car in asap. This morning I brought it in and he went was pretty impressive. He went and brought 3 of the techs out to my car popped the hood and had one of them check the dipstick. He then asked the tech if he felt it was overfilled at which the tech said yes it appeared that it was. he then told them to change the oil again and put the right amount in. he said he was thankful that I brought it to his attention as he was having some inner department issues. He then gave me a $25 gift certificate to be used at the dealership on parts or service. they did a complete oil change as I had marked the filter. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. for the record the oil level was at about the twist on the dip stick.
I dumped over 6 qts out today when changing. the good news is the filter was not overly tight nor was the drain plug but seemed at about the correct torq value. filter was able to turn off without much effort which was good. super easy to change and no mess as no cross members for the oil to splatter on. filter drops straight down so no issue with spilling and if you are so inclined to pre-fill the filter no spillage getting it back on. still no way there should have been over over 6 qts probably closer to 6.5 qts.

Interesting. So either overfilled again or you got some fuel in the oil. I usually dump about 5 quarts +\- (never measure it as I put it in the 5 empty bottles of the new oil) but I dont use ramps.
Each new fill I put 5.1 to 5.2 quarts. 5L bottle is perfect exactly what it takes to the max line but only the european oils come in Liters.

Last edited:
Interesting. So either overfilled again or you got some fuel in the oil. I usually dump about 5 quarts +\- (never measure it as I put it in the 5 empty bottles of the new oil) but I dont use ramps.
Each new fill I put 5.1 to 5.2 quarts. 5L bottle is perfect exactly what it takes to the max line but only the european oils come in Liters.
there is no fuel smell what so ever I know what that is like as had a crv...they overfilled it. I went Pennzoil platinum in 5qt jug and added a 4 ounces from a qt. level is exactly between the dots....I use ramps but that should not be the reason for another 1.5 qts.....

Yes unfortunately its common to overfill.
I dont inderstand it because newest Mazdas have primarily only two engines its not like they service a handful of different ones.

Thats one of the many reasons I dont go to the dealers except for warranty and recalls. I had 3 free oil changes too and told them to gift somebody of their choice if they want.

That's crazy their was that much extra in there.
it happens. We purchased Audi Care for our Q5 because it was much cheaper for of the required maintenance. The dealer over-filled ours by over a quart on the last service. Audi's do not have dipsticks, just a sensor. What tipped me off was the engine 'stumbled' once when going over a hump in the road.

Yes unfortunately its common to overfill.
I dont inderstand it because newest Mazdas have primarily only two engines its not like they service a handful of different ones.

Thats one of the many reasons I dont go to the dealers except for warranty and recalls. I had 3 free oil changes too and told them to gift somebody of their choice if they want.

When we purchased our VW TDI back in 2012, it came with three years of included maintenance. I don't trust dealers at all so having them do this work was out. I asked the service manager if, instead of them doing the work, could I just get the supplies and do it myself? Sure he says!

He loaded me up with three years worth of oil, filters, and crush washers. (y)

It's worth a try, no?

When we purchased our VW TDI back in 2012, it came with three years of included maintenance. I don't trust dealers at all so having them do this work was out. I asked the service manager if, instead of them doing the work, could I just get the supplies and do it myself? Sure he says!

He loaded me up with three years worth of oil, filters, and crush washers. (y)

It's worth a try, no?
Very cool they would do that for you.

Very cool they would do that for you.

I actually did the same thing when we purchased our 2015 motorhome. The Chevy chassis had included three-year maintenance (I didn't even know about this at the time of purchase, neither did the RV dealer apparently) and I asked the service manager at the local Chevy dealership if I could get the supplies from him and do it myself. He was cool with it and gave me everything that I needed for the three-year interval.

All you have to do it ask. The worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Yesterday I got the call from my Mazda service department telling me they would like to schedule me for an oil change....I told them I had just changed it and they said their records indicated it was probably due..I said nope just changed it a couple weeks ago myself..get a little chuckle on the other end with "oh I just need to warn you that you need to be very careful and save all your receipts if doing it yourself" I told her I have been changing my own oil for 50 years and I told her that the last two times their service department changed my oil they overfilled it and this last time I drained about 6.5 qts out. She said "that's not good should be around 5 qts". She said "hmm I will look into that because that is not good" I told her I had already met with the Service Manager Randy, on the first occurrence and apparently they still overfilled it and she said "I completely understand" was pleasant and hung up.

I am glad my dealer doesn't make these mistakes. I did have to reset my own maintenance minder this time, but that was no big deal.

Agreed. Bought one myself last week off Amazon. Paid 17.34. Fit perfectly and looked exactly like the OEM one I removed.

Back