Reason #1 and #2 why it's better to change your own oil Vs a dealer

:
2023 CX5 turbo
So earlier in December I took my 2023 cx5 in for it's last free oil change (they gave me 3 free) during the time i bought my car in February of 2023 the dealership was sold to a larger dealership chain ie Young Mazda. it had been a small family owned dealership that only had one store and carried one brand, Mazda.They overfilled my car by one full quart ie they put in 6 quarts and the oil level was to the twist in the dipstick for those who bother to check/change their own oil.

Fast forward to yesterday.....My neighbor who bought a new CX50 from Young Mazda (he bought it from Young in a different town as they did not have the top of the line cx50 at the local dealership) took his car in for one of his free oil change. While he was waiting his mazda app alerted him that he had lost psi in one of his tires....a while later the service writer came out and told him his car was ready and they had to replace one of his tires. He was like why did you replace a tire? the service manager said they accidentally popped one. He asked to see it and they brought out and it had the sidewall ripped out. They couldn't or wouldn't explain how it happened but he said he could stick his hand through the hole. They pulled his car out and told him that he must have the keys because they did not have the keys. he was like you drove it you have to have the keys. eventually they found the key fob under some paperwork. the replacement tire was a yokohama and the stock ones are Goodyear. They told him the Yokohama was a better tire.....he was like that is unacceptable.

Apparently they told him the manager was in a meeting and would call him later. He waited most of the day and never heard back. He called and finally got through and was told they were just really busy. They said they had another stock tire ordered. I measured the tread on his oem tires and they are all 2/32-3/32" less than the new tire. He called the manager back and said he wanted all the tires replaced as the difference would bother him and they told him no. He said he would escalate his complaint to Mazda and the manager said all that would do is Mazda would give him a call and the manager told him that he felt they had already went above and beyond what they had to do by agreeing to replace the tire they damaged by ordering another oem in......

Are you talking about the Easton, Pa. dealership?

Well, I would expect the replacement to match the oem tires on the vehicle (brand/model). I don't think your neighbor is gonna get any traction on having all four replaced due to a 2-3/32 difference in tread depth.

Ask yourself this .... If you destroyed a tire somehow, are you gonna replace all 4 or just the 1?

In general, I agree that I'm mostly disappointed with any service work these days (not just automotive industry). There's a severe lack of work ethic out there. It doesn't matter if it's a $5 chalupa box at Taco Bell or a $5000 repair on a work vehicle it's hard to find folks caring about their work product anymore.

My closest Mazda dealership's quality ebbs and flows with their ever changing management personnel. The good ones don't seem to last long before they move on. It must not be a great place to work.

Well, I would expect the replacement to match the oem tires on the vehicle (brand/model). I don't think your neighbor is gonna get any traction on having all four replaced due to a 2-3/32 difference in tread depth.

Ask yourself this .... If you destroyed a tire somehow, are you gonna replace all 4 or just the 1?

In general, I agree that I'm mostly disappointed with any service work these days (not just automotive industry). There's a severe lack of work ethic out there. It doesn't matter if it's a $5 chalupa box at Taco Bell or a $5000 repair on a work vehicle it's hard to find folks caring about their work product anymore.

My closest Mazda dealership's quality ebbs and flows with their ever changing management personnel. The good ones don't seem to last long before they move on. It must not be a great place to work.
that is the thing he did not do it to his own car they did.....they are supposed to be the professionals. He took it in with all 4 tires matching and the same tread depth it should have been returned to him the same way...

There are dealers that provide good service and dealers that are rip offs. The same goes for independent mechanics. If you can find either a dealer or an independent that you can trust then consider yourself fortunate. Not everyone is capable of or wants to perform their own service.

Good to know. I deal with the Young Mazda in Easton PA which also was been bought out by a larger entity. I've been apprehensive ever since. So far no problems.
Young is the one who bought out the family owned dealership here. it appears that most of the service department has been replaced so not sure if Young fired most everyone or everyone just did not want to work for Young and quit....

Good to know. I deal with the Young Mazda in Easton PA which also was been bought out by a larger entity. I've been apprehensive ever since. So far no problems.
They're fairly competent for the most part so far.

I don't understand why folks are afraid of giving up the name of the dealership that they're complaining about/having issues with.

Why is that?

It's not as if the dealership has their minions scouring the internet looking for someone who's badmouthing them so that they can take legal action. Even if they were, how would they ID you? Even if they ID'd you (ain't gonna happen), if you're speaking the truth about what was done, then they have no recourse. They would prefer that it all went away rather than broadcasting it to all who may be interested.

I don't understand why folks are afraid of giving up the name of the dealership that they're complaining about/having issues with.

Why is that?

It's not as if the dealership has their minions scouring the internet looking for someone who's badmouthing them so that they can take legal action. Even if they were, how would they ID you? Even if they ID'd you (ain't gonna happen), if you're speaking the truth about what was done, then they have no recourse. They would prefer that it all went away rather than broadcasting it to all who may be interested.
Not sure who this is directed at but I named the dealership..there is only two Mazda dealerships in Montana and only one of them is owned by Young....

3 oil changes in 10 months? how much do you drive?
I have over 15000 miles so a fair amount. it actually was towards the end of Feb and my car was down for a month due to hitting a bear so most of that driving was closer to 8 months. This is actually my wife's car I put about the same on my Ram truck......

Not sure who this is directed at but I named the dealership..there is only two Mazda dealerships in Montana and only one of them is owned by Young....

No one in particular, I guess. It just seems that most people are reluctant to name names.

I agree they should give a little more, but 4 tires is a bit much. They most certainly should replace at least two tires so they will match for rotations during the life of the tires.
exactly what I told him..

The CX-50 Owner's Manual states the following:

Replacing just one tire is dangerous. It could cause poor handling and poor braking resulting in loss of vehicle control. Mazda strongly recommends that you replace all four tires at the same time.

Asking for 4 brand new tires, while not totally unreasonable in some situations, is excessive. It would make sense for the dealership to replace all 4 tires with a brand new set if the original tire is no longer in production, for example.

What the dealership should do is replace the damaged OEM tire with a brand new OEM tire. Sounds like they're already doing that, but the new tire must also be shaved down to match the other 3 tires. This way, the tread pattern and traction is the same for each tire, resulting in safe operation of the vehicle.

I wouldn't think of taking my car to the dealer for an oil change. But I did take it in for something else, probably when I got a new replacement OEM tire after I had a road hazard and Discount didn't have the replacement in stock.

2 problems. One, I asked them to put the new tire on a specific location. The service rep said, no problem, that's where they would put it anyway. When I got it back, they'd put it in a different position.

Two, I noticed on the invoice that they said the oil level was too high and they removed some. I'd done the oil change and hadn't overfilled. Later my oil pressure light came on. I checked the oil level and it was low. Not extremely, but I added oil. Maybe 1 quart. Never had another issue with the oil light or oil level.

Now my vehicle records at the dealership probably say I operated the car with overfilled oil.

Plus it takes a lot more time and hassle to schedule and take the car in than to just do it myself - not to mention the chance that they'll screw something up.

Two issues here I see.
Diff tire => diff traction at that corner. (FWD or AWD)
Diff tire => slightly diff diameter ... put stress on AWD.
I would ask for all four to be replaced.
If not, file a complaint at MazdaUSA.

So he got ahold of Mazda corporate and they told him that they had no control over what independent dealers did. They advised him he could get ahold of the regional area manager if he wanted to escalate it further. He asked for that contact info and they told him he needed to get it from the local dealership. He called the dealership and ask for the regional area manager and he said they would not give him that information. He said they told him he was treated fairly and one new tire was all he was going to get. He did refer the manager to the owners manual where it stated not to replace just one tire and he said that went no where......

Latest posts

Back