2022 CX-5 Headlight issue

larfy budz

Zoomer
:
‘22 Turbo
‘22 turbo sport drivers side headlight issues

Will be going to the service department tomorrow and booking it in

Woah, what an odd noise.
Does your rig have the moving/adaptive headlights?

Last edited:
I have read so many complaints of this on every mazda forum and fb page. seems like it happens on the auto leveling headlights and the adaptive headlights.

first time for me as well and I do have the 2018 and 2022 full features headlights.
Run to the dealer. Something seems off.

‘22 turbo sport drivers side headlight issues

Will be going to the service department tomorrow and booking it in

View attachment 317356
The sound might be coming from the cooling fan, which is a part of the bi-LED solenoid, integrated into the harness. This is how the fan looks like.

1678919861601.jpeg

If its confirmed that its the fan, then the bearings might require some oiling. Nevertheless, I would suggest you to insist on the dealer to replace the entire unit, since you are in warranty. Mazda's signature lighting has a horrible configuration for its DRL. It always keeps the headlights on, no matter the conditions of the day. This will reduce the lifespan of the headlights and will cost a fortune to replace them once the lights are out (estimated price for both headlight unit replacement is $3000 to $4000)
I simply pulled out the DRL fuse from my vehicle and I turn on the parking lights in case I need DRL during gloomy weather conditions.

The sound might be coming from the cooling fan, which is a part of the bi-LED solenoid, integrated into the harness. This is how the fan looks like.

View attachment 317822

If its confirmed that its the fan, then the bearings might require some oiling. Nevertheless, I would suggest you to insist on the dealer to replace the entire unit, since you are in warranty. Mazda's signature lighting has a horrible configuration for its DRL. It always keeps the headlights on, no matter the conditions of the day. This will reduce the lifespan of the headlights and will cost a fortune to replace them once the lights are out (estimated price for both headlight unit replacement is $3000 to $4000)
I simply pulled out the DRL fuse from my vehicle and I turn on the parking lights in case I need DRL during gloomy weather conditions.
I was thinking same thing after seeing the tear down video of cx60s system. I wasn’t sure if the cx5 had something similar in regards to cooling fan. This confirms. @larfy budz any updates?

indeed its not efficient to use the headlights for drl.
That is the first thing I disable. There is a "nintendo type" trick to disable it without removing the fuse.
Its a play with the hazard light button and the stalk.

View attachment 317822

View attachment 317822

I popped out the DRL fuse the week I bought the car, I popped it back in of course before bringing it in to the dealership so they didn’t try and pin anything on me

Attachments

• 2575DB22-13FE-4793-BE02-11DBE633AF85.jpeg
    2575DB22-13FE-4793-BE02-11DBE633AF85.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 138
  • CAD922E8-173F-48B1-8449-CACC550E9305.jpeg
    CAD922E8-173F-48B1-8449-CACC550E9305.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 127

View attachment 317822

Yes I just replaced one of my wheel curb rash! Over $800 if Mazda got this much for all of their part you couldn't buy one of their cars for $100,000. Government needs to take more than a casual look at this!

It was the levelling motor as per dealer. They replaced the whole unit under warranty
Took in our 22 CX-5 CE CPO yesterday to address a vibration at 60-75 mph and noise in driver side headlight. I thought I heard fan noise on the driver side headlight, but Dealer indicated that the passenger side leveling motor was having issues and replaced the passenger side headlight under warranty. I'll have to keep an ear open and see if I still hear anything on driver side.

They also balanced the wheels, cause they were off and we agreed to the recommended alignment that they said was not covered under warranty. After picking it up, took it out on the highway and fortunatly the vibration was gone.

Yes I just replaced one of my wheel curb rash! Over $800 if Mazda got this much for all of their part you couldn't buy one of their cars for $100,000. Government needs to take more than a casual look at this!
You know you can have the wheel rash repaired for far less, right? I would always suggest this rather than getting a new wheel (unless, of course, it's cracked). I have had many fixed over the years, and they look OEM new afterwards. Typically $2-300 to have them refinished. Some places will even come to your house.

Last edited:
You know you can have the wheel rash repaired for far less, right? I would always suggest this rather than getting a new wheel (unless, of course, it's cracked). I have had many fixed over the years, and they look OEM new afterwards. Typically $2-300 to have them refinished. Some places will even come to your house.
I had the same experience I can get a whole set of nice after market wheels for a $1000. They need to be talking to a few AG's about this scalping!

LOL you didn't see my wheel!

Back