2021 CX-9 Burning oil

I opened a case. I just can't take the financial hit for something that isn't my fault... It's not right.
There is no financial hit, go to carmax. They took over my lease and cut me a $500 check which I used towards my new vehicle. My car was 2021 GT with 18K miles on it. Then you can get a good deal on the 2023s, dealer’s discounting them big time

There is no financial hit, go to carmax. They took over my lease and cut me a $500 check which I used towards my new vehicle. My car was 2021 GT with 18K miles on it. Then you can get a good deal on the 2023s, dealer’s discounting them big time
Discounting them by how much? Buying a new one you take a depreciation hit on your old one, not to mention new one when you drive off the lot and more down the road since it is being discontinued. You need to pay substantially more to get a new one based on how much less you get from your old one compared to what you paid for that olde one when new. You could lose your a$$.

Discounting them by how much? Buying a new one takes depreciation hit on your old one, not to mention new one when you drive off the lot and more down the road since it is being discontinued. You need to pay substantially more to get a new one based on how much less you get from your old one compared to what you paid for that olde one when new. You could lose your a$$.
If you change cars every 3 years then its not, if you plan to keep the car more than 3 years(5 years or more) then yes. For me since I lease every 3 years I managed to get almost the same lease rate as my current one so no difference to me, also they have 0 APR on the cx-9 since they want to get rid of it, CX-90 is here. However, I ended up with a different brand at the end.

If you change cars every 3 years then its not, if you plan to keep the car more than 3 years(5 years or more) then yes. For me since I lease every 3 years I managed to get almost the same lease rate as my current one so no difference to me, also they have 0 APR on the cx-9 since they want to get rid of it, CX-90 is here. However, I ended up with a different brand at the end.
Leasing is renting with no equity and a horrible decision unless you own a business you can write it off with. Completely different than purchasing.

Last edited:
Discounting them by how much? Buying a new one you take a depreciation hit on your old one, not to mention new one when you drive off the lot and more down the road since it is being discontinued. You need to pay substantially more to get a new one based on how much less you get from your old one compared to what you paid for that olde one when new. You could lose your a$$.
I think you can get up to 9%, it depends on the trim, 10% on signature was possible 2 months ago. Carbon and other trims 8-9%. Entry trim might be different wince its already cheap. Go to leasehacker site and check the brokers advertised rates. If you walk into the dealership without going through a broker its a different story, they could lease you the CX-9 for $650 a month.

Leasing is renting with no equity and a horrible decision unless you own a business you can write it off with. Completely different than purchasing.
I did the math long time ago and the result of my analysis is they are almost the same for someone who doesn’t keep the car more than 4-5 years. You have to keep it for 8 years to make a difference. The car depreciation is yhe same as the lease rent.

I did the math long time ago and the result of my analysis is they are almost the same for someone who doesn’t keep the car more than 4-5 years. You have to keep it for 8 years to make a difference. The car depreciation is yhe same as the lease rent.
The difference is you end up with nothing if you lease instead of outright purchasing and having something to show for it after that amount of time. That's where your money is. You buy a good car and it could last 15 years or more. Even aside from buying new, If you buy a used 2 year old vehicle then you are not the bearer of that initial hard depreciation and you come out even more ahead. I get though that some people want new cars every 3 years and not deal with any future problems. Anyway, back on topic

Last edited:
I think my issues is that "the fix" didn't fix it. So what is it? :(

So, are you still monitoring the issue? Do you still have oil consumption after the sensor replacement?

If you don't, I think you need to step back and just observe for a while to see if the repair worked, before jumping straight to trading the car in or asking another dealership for help.

Sorry pics not posting
I've had issues with posting pics before, usually related to the file size. Are you able to resize the picture to like half of it's normal size? That should allow you post it directly to the forum. Otherwise, you can upload the photo directly to a site like imgur.com and then post a link to the photo here.

Thank you for being so kind! So supposedly the car is to get 20 to 26 mpg. I am getting 16.7. Is this normal or also related to my oil issue?

Thank you for being so kind! So supposedly the car is to get 20 to 26 mpg. I am getting 16.7. Is this normal or also related to my oil issue?
If you have amber “Low Oil Level Warning Light” lit in your dash,

68F217B1-4E72-4310-97E2-848147B8887E.jpeg

or you check the oil level with the dipstick which is near the low “Min” hole, check the TSB and see if your VIN is on the list. You should take your CX-9 to your Mazda dealer and check the oil consumption issue.

No, the poor gas mileage on your CX-9 isn’t related to oil consumption issue.

Hi! Thanks for all the help. Oil light came on after the fix (I was on the list) AGAIN. Apparently I am getting a new engine. Is this fine or will I still have long term issues?

Hi! Thanks for all the help. Oil light came on after the fix (I was on the list) AGAIN. Apparently I am getting a new engine. Is this fine or will I still have long term issues?
I personally will try to split with the vehicle. Not worth the headache that may come up later on. Lol at options to minimize your losses, maybe Mazda will be willing to bridge the gap.

See if you can get into a new CX-90 with zero cost to you by giving them back the CX-9. Keep in mind, the CX-90 is first gen and may have other issues as well...
I'm never one to buy extra warranty, but it may be necessary on a new build that has not been proven.

Goodluck! 🙏🏽

getting a new engine that incorporates the fix sounds like a good deal to me. there is no way anyone would get an even swap on a CX9 for a CX90

getting a new engine that incorporates the fix sounds like a good deal to me. there is no way anyone would get an even swap on a CX9 for a CX90
It's not an even swap, the CX-90 costs more. To clarify, in suggesting he get back all of his cash (or as much as possible) and apply that to the CX-90.

Back