2019 CX-5 Diesel

I didn't try the turbo CX-5 but the turbo 6. Compared to the turbo 6, it feels slower with more lag. Compared to the regular CX-5 non-turbo, there's a lot more torque. Power feels like 80% of the turbo version.

I'm sure there are other people who have more experience with the different models.

Ouch. No sale.

Late to the game but thought it might be worth mentioning my initial observations on the 2019 2.2 cx-5 diesel were correct. The one i test drove months ago sits on the lot unsold and unloved. Even the salesfolk flat hate it and say many just look at the mileage and pricetag and say -- What the (blank}??. Even the dealership said many more sit on lots unsold throughout the US. Those who do test drive it are immediately convinced not to buy one. I don't blame Mazda. They make a great car like my 2016 cx-9. The blame is squarely on the failed state of California and their ridiculous environmental laws.

Late to the game but thought it might be worth mentioning my initial observations on the 2019 2.2 cx-5 diesel were correct. The one i test drove months ago sits on the lot unsold and unloved. Even the salesfolk flat hate it and say many just look at the mileage and pricetag and say -- What the (blank}??. Even the dealership said many more sit on lots unsold throughout the US. Those who do test drive it are immediately convinced not to buy one. I don't blame Mazda. They make a great car like my 2016 cx-9. The blame is squarely on the failed state of California and their ridiculous environmental laws.

The dealer where I bought both my GTR's said basically the same thing. People see the price tag & have the same quote. I was tempted to ask to drive the one they have as I had a Golf TDI diesel for 6 years & loved it. It was a victim of the VW diesel buyback. I got almost what I paid for it after driving it for 6 years. My dealer is a Mazda/VW dealer & said when they get a CPO Golf TDI with the emission fix done, they're gone within days.

It has an MSRP of 42,045 with color options being extra. I am thinking $28-30K for a brand new would be a good price. At that price it competes with the GT-R and might outmuscle the GTR due to better mileage and all that torque.

There are no power problems with the diesel in cold weather. It might not be pitched at a saleable price but *hating* it is melodramatic.

I have a theory, and it is purely speculation on my part but I believe the CX-5 Diesel was only released to serve as a "pricing anchor".

This pricing anchor serves two purposes. First, let's assume that a customer wants to compare trims and starts at the very top, what would they look at? Answer: the most expensive. Now that they have a dollar amount in mind, what features are included, what is missing, everything else looks less expensive and a better value for the cost. When I used to sell electronics way back in the day (Home Theater at Circuit City) I would always show a potential customer the most expensive system we had. That $11,000 plasma TV? Looks pretty good right? Well let me show you show you some other TVs that are less expensive and almost as good. That same customer who initially had a $500 budget is now more willing to spend $1,000 to $2,000. I had no intent on selling them the $11,000 plasma TV but it gave them an idea of how much the (ahem) very best cost.

Secondly, it is no secret that Mazda wishes to move upmarket. In going up market towards luxury brands you have to have, how do you say, a je ne sais quoi? A certain prestige that is expected from luxury brands. By bringing a diesel engine to the modern market might give Mazda a little more reputation among the luxury car buyers. And when that prestige is attained they can increase pricing to go with it. If they don't sell any, no problem. It was a feather in their cap towards true luxury status.

I have a theory, and it is purely speculation on my part but I believe the CX-5 Diesel was only released to serve as a "pricing anchor".

I don't have any hard opinion on this, but the problem with that "pricing anchor" is that anyone who is specifically shopping around for a diesel and sees that price now has a permanent frame-of-reference set regarding Mazdas, and he's gonna forever tell all his friend how overpriced Mazdas are...not "diesel Mazdas," but all Mazdas.

It's not as though people have enough knowledge of the brand to evaluate that statement.

I don't have any hard opinion on this, but the problem with that "pricing anchor" is that anyone who is specifically shopping around for a diesel and sees that price now has a permanent frame-of-reference set regarding Mazdas, and he's gonna forever tell all his friend how overpriced Mazdas are...not "diesel Mazdas," but all Mazdas.

It's not as though people have enough knowledge of the brand to evaluate that statement.

I don't know much about diesel pricing, but typically speaking don't they carry a premium to their pricing? Something to do with efficiency, longevity, resale value, etc. I honestly don't know as I have never owned one.

Would it also be fair that if you were in the market for a "luxury" diesel SUV Mazda's pricing would be attractive? If your comparing the CX-5 against Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, wouldn't Mazda seem like a bargain? Granted that is if you are considering Mazda against these brands.

You've got a point there. A co-worker of mine constantly told us all how expensive Kia's were. "Did you know the Optima is like $50k!?" I'm pretty sure she saw the price tag of a Genesis when they pushed their brand to be more upscale but incorrectly associated it with every model car they produce. Optimas clearly aren't that expensive lol.

It has an MSRP of 42,045 with color options being extra. I am thinking $28-30K for a brand new would be a good price. At that price it competes with the GT-R and might outmuscle the GTR due to better mileage and all that torque.

The GTR produces more torque than the diesel at similar RPM.

At my dealer I wanted to test drive the one diesel they have, but apparently one needs to make an appointment. It's in their showroom and not easily extracted.

They will not sell one unless a customer comes in determined to buy it. They had no sales pitch whatsoever for it.

This dealer has a very weak salesforce anyway. I think they are low volume and have lots of turnover.

Or maybe they just don't see me as a ripe target.

I'm still biased in favor of a diesel, but they make it hard.

I knew a diesel would be more expensive than naturally aspirated, but the premium for the diesel over the signature is more than I was hoping the premium of the diesel over the 2.5NA would be before Mazda began offering a turbo in the CX-5.

A 10K premium over the NA is way beyond what I was considering when I was pining for the diesel to be released.

I don't know much about diesel pricing, but typically speaking don't they carry a premium to their pricing?

I don't know, either. I spun through some other comments in this thread before posting that statement, but it's based on impressions and not on any knowledge I've got. You might be right.

If its still there in march i may offer him 20K cash and bank on being able to rip out all the CALIF ARB crap including the DEF system. Right now the best part of the car is the 360 camera which might allow you to watch others laught as they pass. Anyone got resale values on these yet? Look under 10' pole.

There are no power problems with the diesel in cold weather. It might not be pitched at a saleable price but *hating* it is melodramatic.

Nope. Dealer said most basically Hated it right during or just after the test drive. Some took test drive said thanks but no never to be seen again. Poor sales guy say the dread being asked about them as most sales are lost on reading the sticker. Then again could be a rare "sleeper" in 20 to 30 years. We joked that Mazda should sue the State Of California, EPA, ARB , Dealership owner didn't laugh.

And yet in Europe virtually every car including big German muscle cars are diesel. It*s a cultural thing.

Indeed. If gasoline was sold in liters here, it would be much more expensive and diesel would be more popular. Gasoline is inexpensive in America.

I met a guy here in the middle of Virginia who test drove the CX-5 diesel not long ago at a dealership in Fredericksburg. He recently moved to a rural property with a long right-of-way-path to his house and the wife's 6 doesn't have comfortable ground clearance, so he's swapping it for a CX-5.

He's currently a 2 Mazda family (drove the 6 to the grocery store) and test drove the NA, the turbo and the diesel. His impression of the diesel: Price + urea hassle + no mpg benefit = WTF, Mazda? He did not mention driveability.

In the summer, my Mazda dealer had three CX-5 diesels. Today, they have the same three CX-5 diesels.

Back