2018 CX-5 Oil Dip stick reading issues

Anybody have issues reading the oil dipstick on the CX5's?

My issue is I pull the dipstick out, wipe it down with a paper towel, re-insert the dipstick and pull to read. The dipstick has oil ALL over it, basically from top to bottom.
Almost as if the sleeve the dipstick slides into is coated in oil, therefore making it very difficult for me to get a reading on it at all.

We got the orange oil light a few days ago indicating the oil is around/below the MIN level. I poured 200ML of oil into the car to top it up but now I cannot get an accurate reading on this thing.

I have tried checking the oil while the engine is 10 hours cold, tried driving and warming it up then checking, same results.

Not the end of the world as I will change the oil in about 2000 KM but I would love to be able to get a reading of the oil........ Another issue I am having is I use an oil extractor to change the oil on my other cars but I cannot get a drop of oil to come out of the CX5. Has anybody had success using an extractor on their cx5? Almost as if my straw is too short?

Wait longer to check after you stop the engine. The manual says wait at least 5 min, but that's not enough to be able to read it. I'd say wait at least 15 min or maybe even 30

Wait longer to check after you stop the engine. The manual says wait at least 5 min, but that's not enough to be able to read it. I'd say wait at least 15 min or maybe even 30
Like I said, I have checked the oil when the engine is 10 hours cold..nadda.

I have a 2018 CX5 and I haven’t had any issues reading the oil level on the dip stick. Now the orange triangular plastic dip stick on our Honda is a little difficult the read with fresh oil for the first 2,000 km after an oil change.

I have a 2018 CX5 and I haven’t had any issues reading the oil level on the dip stick. Now the orange triangular plastic dip stick on our Honda is a little difficult the read with fresh oil for the first 2,000 km after an oil change.
I don't know about the rest of you but my black 2022 CX-5 black dipstick is total piece of crap to read for these old eyes.

I always have trouble reading the dipstick when the oil is fresh, but I hold it at just the right light and try again.

i have no trouble reading the dipstick on my 2018 or 19 cx5s. Make sure you read the correct side as one side will have a higher reading you describe.

I check it after our 2018 sits overnight. But, one side of the stick is still all covered with oil but the other side shows the level clearly. Check both sides!

I've had this issue....... when cx5 was new.... complained here and
at mazda dealer.... they showed me how to check it, when you push
the dipstick in , pull it out real quick, don't let it sit..
works for me , most of the time, hot or cold engine.
hope it helps

Pull it out, wipe clean, then reinsert, then pull it out and you will see at least one side with a good reading.

Back