2017 CX-5 Died on the Highway

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
So, on Sunday my wife and I were on the highway when our truck "died suddenly". There was a light that was the key with the explanation point that was flashing. Then when it stopped We got the car with the lock symbol flashing light.

It's at the dealer now. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm hoping it's just a "We hooked it up to the computer, reset everything and you're good to go" and not a "Your ECM/PCM is ****** and it'll be 3k and the part is back ordered for 6 months".

Pray for me.
*edit* Changed both batteries in the FOBS and the truck still wouldn't start.

So, on Sunday my wife and I were on the highway when our truck "died suddenly". There was a light that was the key with the explanation point that was flashing. Then when it stopped We got the car with the lock symbol flashing light.

It's at the dealer now. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm hoping it's just a "We hooked it up to the computer, reset everything and you're good to go" and not a "Your ECM/PCM is ****** and it'll be 3k and the part is back ordered for 6 months".

Pray for me.
*edit* Changed both batteries in the FOBS and the truck still wouldn't start.
Did you try holding the key next to the pushbutton start to see if it would start back up?

Might just be the alternator.
Alternator probably went and battery drained while driving.

I'm sorry for your troubles but low or dead fob batteries would not cause your CX to die suddenly.

I won't pray for you, but I will wish you the best of luck.

This below is in your owner's manual.

In the future, if you suspect that your fob battery is low/dead, hold the fob up to the Start button and then press that button.

Would you not get a battery light first or some sort of indication that the battery is not charging?
My experience with alternators dying is the car just stops...either lights never come on or you never notice them until it's too late...usually the battery only lasts a few miles(sometimes 1 mile, sometimes 3 or 4) once the alternator dies...most likely a person is focused on the road and driving and not watching the display.

The dealer called and said the battery was pooched. They're going to replace it and then continue testing and hopefully it's just the battery.

Turns out it's just the battery. I presume they did some other system checks as well. At least I hope so. I'm going to ask if they checked everything else.
The SA said that they tested the system to determine that the battery was pooched so hopefully it checks the charging system as well.

Odd (to me) that a battery would fail catastrophically enough to "shutdown" a running vehicle traveling on the road. These modern vehicles sure are dependant on a good clean functioning power source! They just seem to become very unhappy with sensors and whatnot if the electrons get out of line.

From my limited knowledge of these things, it seems to me that if a battery fails, it triggers something in the system and just shuts the car down to prevent further damage to the system. I mean, it was -38 with the windchill so it is possible a cell reversed polarity or some other such thing. I would hope they checked the charging system once the battery was replaced.

From my limited knowledge of these things, it seems to me that if a battery fails, it triggers something in the system and just shuts the car down to prevent further damage to the system. I mean, it was -38 with the windchill so it is possible a cell reversed polarity or some other such thing. I would hope they checked the charging system once the battery was replaced.
Would the engine have been turning over or nothing have happened while you’re trying to re-start the engine after the car died on the highway? How old the battery is? Is it still the factory Panasonic battery?

Yes, there’s an alternator failing warning light in dash, and it should be on if the alternator is failing.

0ECF7160-4364-4AC9-B2C8-F651BAA99161.jpeg

I’d agree with HyFlyer that “it’s odd that a battery would fail catastrophically enough to "shutdown" a running vehicle traveling on the road.”

Odd (to me) that a battery would fail catastrophically enough to "shutdown" a running vehicle traveling on the road. ...
Have to say that was my first thought as well, and I can't recall ever reading another report of that happening. But I guess the same old thing, that just about anything being possible with electricity, applies to this one as well.

Have to say that was my first thought as well, and I can't recall ever reading another report of that happening. But I guess the same old thing, that just about anything being possible with electricity, applies to this one as well.
Yep, seems like troubleshooting step numero uno these days is "how's the battery health?"

Also, the later revelation from the OP of:
... it was -38 with the windchill ...
I think is playing a role here. Funny things happen to machines operating in extreme temperature enrivornments.

Yeah, I’m confused. I thought the battery was there just to hold enough charge to turn the engine over when starting and then the car runs on the electricity generated by the engine after that including recharging the battery. I guess the -38 degree temperature might have caused those systems to freak out.

Yeah, I’m confused. I thought the battery was there just to hold enough charge to turn the engine over when starting and then the car runs on the electricity generated by the engine after that including recharging the battery. I guess the -38 degree temperature might have caused those systems to freak out.
Not my understanding, though. Not sure if you are right or not.
My understanding is that, the car draws current from the 12V battery even when running in addition to starting.

The voltage/current generated by the alternator is not stable at 12V.
The 12V battery acts as a reservoir and a stabilizer/filter/smoother of voltage.
If the 12V battery fails, voltage will drop way below 12V (even with alternator attached) and the system would trigger a fault.

The 12V battery acts as a reservoir and a stabilizer/filter/smoother of voltage.
Yes, that's absolutely true, and the smart alts that most vehicles have these days will output a variety of different voltages and currents, depending on the momentary requirements of the vehicle. If the battery can't accomplish that process of smoothing out this variable output from the alt, bad stuff will start happening very fast.

Not my understanding, though. Not sure if you are right or not.
My understanding is that, the car draws current from the 12V battery even when running in addition to starting.

The voltage/current generated by the alternator is not stable at 12V.
If the 12V battery fails, voltage will drop way below 12V (even with alternator attached) and the system would trigger a fault.
That makes sense. Thanks.

One possibility might be that the battery failed internally by one of the end cells disconnecting from one of the battery posts. There are 6 2V cells connected in series to total 12V. Which means each end cell is connected to the + or - post. A failure at this location means the battery is now out of the circuit just the same as if it has been removed physically.
I had this happen to me on a previous car with the factory AC Delco battery at the 6 year mark, but I wasn't driving at the time. Ran normally when I shut it off. A few hours later wouldn't start. Wouldn't even click. I put a short 8MM wrench on the small bolt (GM side terminal battery) of the battery terminal and gave it a light tug and the whole terminal with the cable still attached fell out the side of the battery. Of course this means acid pours out of the large hole that just appeared and makes a mess in the battery tray. The lead terminal had broken away from the plates internally. It turns out that this was more or less a common mode of failure for those AC Delco side terminal batteries. And supposedly, these batteries were made by AC Delco, not Johnson Controls or other battery manufacturer.

Glad it was just the battery. Love the "died suddenly" reference- we are on the same page. That being said, I get new batteries in all of my vehicles at the 5 year mark- period. Have to argue with my shop sometimes. They call me and tell me it tests fine- nope yank it please.

Back