2016 Infotainment problems

The seller responded saying it was only good in models up to 2015, says it said that in the description. I went back and looked and it dies say that, however the items title is "NEW LATEST Mazda CX-5 CX-9 Navigation SD CARD" so it should work in a 2016, right? Here's the listing:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I guess I overlooked the description where it says: Compatible Vehicles:
2014 2015 Mazda6
Only 2013 Mazda3
2013 2014 2015 Mazda CX-5 / CX-9

so I guess it's not the latest after all. Anyway, they are taking it back. I suspect it was a card removed from another Mazda like you said, but I can't prove it. Oh well, it really was too good to be true. Thanks for the feedback.

The seller responded saying it was only good in models up to 2015, says it said that in the description. I went back and looked and it dies say that, however the items title is "NEW LATEST Mazda CX-5 CX-9 Navigation SD CARD" so it should work in a 2016, right? Here's the listing:
2014 2015 Mazda6
Only 2013 Mazda3

so I guess it's not the latest after all. Anyway, they are taking it back. I suspect it was a card removed from another Mazda like you said, but I can't prove it. Oh well, it really was too good to be true. Thanks for the feedback.

Just to reinforce that the illustration of the SD card includes the text "Maps by Tom Tom". These cards are meant for the Tom Tom system in previous model years and not for the MZD Connect system from 2016 model year onwards.

Jonno21

2014 2015 Mazda6
Only 2013 Mazda3

And it still wouldn't be useful in those model years - unlike the 2016's, the 2013-2015 didn't ship with the GPS hardware and card reader. Mazda sells those, along with the maps, as a package that runs about $500.

Just purchased an SD navigation card for my 2016 CX-5 from Amazon for $220.00...Lowest price I've seen from a legit retailer.

Just purchased an SD navigation card for my 2016 CX-5 from Amazon (National Motorsports) for $220.00 ( free shipping & no tax) ...Lowest price I've seen from a legit retailer.

Update- Received my SD card on Saturday and tested it out over the weekend, so far so good.

I went in for an oil change last month and the dealer updated the firmware to v59 (from v55). Pandora seems to work better, but the bluetooth connection no longer seems to be reliable. I've been using the same phone for the past year (Nexus 5x) and never had bluetooth connectivity issues (except dropping the Pandora connection frequently) prior to the firmware upgrade.

Now, it seems to be worse than before.

Other issues that I'm having:
1. Navigation very slow to start up.
2. If left on Pandora mode in audio, the screen blacks out for about 30 seconds, then the whole system seems to "stutter" for a minute after the screen appears.

Anyone else have similar issues after upgrading to version v59?

I went in for an oil change last month and the dealer updated the firmware to v59 (from v55). Pandora seems to work better, but the bluetooth connection no longer seems to be reliable. I've been using the same phone for the past year (Nexus 5x) and never had bluetooth connectivity issues (except dropping the Pandora connection frequently) prior to the firmware upgrade.

2. If left on Pandora mode in audio, the screen blacks out for about 30 seconds, then the whole system seems to "stutter" for a minute after the screen appears.

did you specifically ask for this upgrade or the dealer did it w/o your permission ?
if latter, then they should revert to original software at their cost.
I've had no problems with the software that came with my car, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yes, I did ask because Pandora was not working at all before, plus I was having the system reboot issue. Seems like they did not fully vet their code when they released v59. I'm going to see if I can replace the head unit with a 3rd party option down the road, but only after they release v60 (and that version is still buggy).

2016 CX-5 GT AWD. IPHONE 6S IOS 10.1.1
Dealer upgraded mine to 59.00.441 about a month ago. No, haven't really had the issues you are seeing. However Pandora STILL does not work properly, constantly dropping and giving the check your device message. Funny thing is all other BT applications including AHA and Skitcher work PERFECTLY

They upgraded me to v55 when I went in for my oil change in early October. I inquired about it when I got there, and was told they would only update it if I was having 'issues'. So I said I was having some disconnection issues with Pandora, and she said that qualified. But even with the update, I am still having the same issue with Pandora. If I connect to Pandora by selecting it on the music screen in the Infotainment, it takes a few tries before it does it. Sometimes if I close the app out on my phone, that helps. Once connected it will play for a bit, then disconnect BUT it still plays through Bluetooth. Weird.

My 2016 GT (13k miles) just went in for oil change. I complained again about the GPS being way way off. Here is what they did: "Performed software update for central media unit per TSB 09-24/16"
I had Android Auto on here, also with a button patch that allows me to use the screen while driving. Interestingly Android Auto is gone, all my contacts and favorites were gone, but I am still able to use the buttons while driving.
So far, the GPS doesn't have me driving into the river every morning like it has... Time will tell. Anyway, I just really wanted to mention they applied a TSB.
(Edit: oh yeah, they did a Molly oil change for $64. Thought it was pretty good!)

Before turning your vehicle off switch from USB mode to FM mode.
When you start your vehicle the next time, given that it hasn't been more than a day or so since doing so,
simply switch back to USB mode to continue listening where you left off.

Go to the root menu and choose the folder option. If all your music is organized in say, a my music folder by artist and albums on your thumb drive, it should all be listed by artist or album. This is the only way I have seen to play albums as they are ordered. It requires a lot of searching with the knob but the system can scroll through the folders pretty quickly.
I agree that its irritating.

My 2016 GT (13k miles) just went in for oil change. I complained again about the GPS being way way off. Here is what they did: "Performed software update for central media unit per TSB 09-24/16".......
Just as follow through, this TSB update brought my OS version to "59.00.441 NA N" with fail-safe version at 55.00.760

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

My 2016 GT (13k miles) just went in for oil change. I complained again about the GPS being way way off. Here is what they did: "Performed software update for central media unit per TSB 09-24/16"
I had Android Auto on here, also with a button patch that allows me to use the screen while driving. Interestingly Android Auto is gone, all my contacts and favorites were gone, but I am still able to use the buttons while driving.
So far, the GPS doesn't have me driving into the river every morning like it has... Time will tell. Anyway, I just really wanted to mention they applied a TSB.
(Edit: oh yeah, they did a Molly oil change for $64. Thought it was pretty good!)

Can you elaborate on your 'button patch'? Does this allow the use of the touch screen while the car is moving? It seems so stupid that the screen is deactivated while moving. I understand that they don't want the driver messing with the touch screen while driving but what about the passenger? The car knows when a passenger is sitting in the front seat so why not activate the screen when the passenger seat is occupied?

Can you elaborate on your 'button patch'? Does this allow the use of the touch screen while the car is moving? It seems so stupid that the screen is deactivated while moving. I understand that they don't want the driver messing with the touch screen while driving but what about the passenger? The car knows when a passenger is sitting in the front seat so why not activate the screen when the passenger seat is occupied?
I installed Android Auto on my unit (unofficial of course) and while there I used an "all in one" program to do things like change my background image, remove the warning at start, and make the buttons usable while driving. It can be risky business to do, but it isn't hard. The steps and write up are on Mazda forums. I'll dig them out and post the link so you can read up on your options. I love being able to use the screen (when the need arises) while driving.

LINK

Last edited:
I installed Android Auto on my unit (unofficial of course) and while there I used an "all in one" program to do things like change my background image, remove the warning at start, and make the buttons usable while driving. It can be risky business to do, but it isn't hard. The steps and write up are on Mazda forums. I'll dig them out and post the link so you can read up on your options. I love being able to use the screen (when the need arises) while driving.

LINK

Thanks! I'll check it out.

mine started going screwy a couple of weeks ago. the screen just keeps refreshing from the Mazda logo to the main screen and it loops. then one day the backup camera took an image and had it up on the screen for a few minutes then I got control of the radio and all the other functions again. But soon lost it as I went to a store, restarted the car and poof, right back to the looping problem. I've regained control of the radio only 2 times now but the same thing happens once I shut the car off. I tried the soft reboot but no good. I did get to see that I have the version 55 software so maybe that's the issue since I read somewhere there was an upgrade to a v59. not sure why I wasn't notified, anyone know if that's something I can sign up for and get a notice for things like that other than recalls? So if anyone else has had/have this happen to them, what did you do?

finally broke down and went to the dealer last Friday only to be told my CMU is fried and I'd need a new one, for $1200. F that!!!

Back