2014 CX-5 2.5L Skyactiv Performance

It kind of does, if you put it in manual mode. That way you can dictate how long you can stay in a certain gear, to a point. Yes, it's not like the sport mode on my BMW but then again, for $10K less, I think most of us can adapt to it's "shortcomings".

I agree with you, and knowing what the competition for this compact SUV offers, still the best tranny in class. Mazda achieved it gas mileage goals without cheating like Hundai/Kia.

True. Im also an owner of a 2012 kia sorento which is part of the lie they got caught in....gets 17-18mpg. Far from advertised. But hey at least they will give us compensation, although its far from enough. After 10k miles, my estimate was about $70 back...far away from the fuel its costed us in real life.

On the contrary, my cx5 still maintains 33mpg average 90% of the time with only a few times dipping to 32 (weeks with worse than normal traffic backups)

On a side note, I contacted a local Mazda dealer and asked if they would notify me when the 2014 CX-5 with 2.5L engine will be available and, don't choke on your lunch now, this is what they replied:
"they actually comes out in 2014"

Follow up: After sending them all the press releases from the LA Auto Show stating that it would be available in January, this was their next comment:
"yes that is wrong, we would know when we have a new vehicle or when its expected to arrive"

Maybe this person is an ex-CIA operative and is sworn to secrecy....

Well, received info from another Mazda dealer and the news is brighter:

"I will let you know once the 2014 2.5L CX-5 comes out. They should arrive in the next couple of weeks"

Thanks for your comments. I would think that the AT in the CX-5 is similar to others in that it is adaptive to the driving habits of the principle operator. If a more spirited driver is behind the wheel, it should adjust the shift points accordingly. Am I right on this point with the CX-5?

On a side note, I contacted a local Mazda dealer and asked if they would notify me when the 2014 CX-5 with 2.5L engine will be available and, don't choke on your lunch now, this is what they replied:
"they actually comes out in 2014"

With the extensive research that I do before purchasing a vehicle, I often know more about what I'm buying than the person I'm buying it from. I plan an forwarding the press releases form the LA Auto Show to this imbecile and enlighten them.

BS... in about 1 month

Anxious to test drive new 2.5. The 2.0 rode fine but pathetic from a stop in accelerating. Main reason never bought early 2012. Good thing in no hurry. So hopefully the wait worth it, or, if not on to plan B. whatever that might be.

I also wait for the 2.5L CX5. If the 2.5 doesn't meet expectations then plan B is to test drive a Tuson. If neither meet expatiations, then I will keep driving my 07 CX7 which at 62,000 miles has been trouble free except for a new fuel pump under warranty.

Erhayes, would you consider the diesel if the 2.5 doesn't meet expectations? I am too awaiting to test. I feel the 2.5 will be just right.

chinq6t: Only if Mazda corrects the rising oil problem. However; I have very high expectations for the 2.5 based on information I've read here. I expect the teething issues with the 2.0 to be resolved with the 2.0 & 2.5 with the 2014 model. Ed

chinq6t: Only if Mazda corrects the rising oil problem. However; I have very high expectations for the 2.5 based on information I've read here. I expect the teething issues with the 2.0 to be resolved with the 2.0 & 2.5 with the 2014 model. Ed

Hi,

the diesel is a 2.2 unit which is the lower power of the 2 and gives 380nm of torque. With an average speed so far of 22mph over 100 miles it's giving me 47mpg. (imperial) us gallon is a bit different.
the higher powered version should have no economy penalty (comparing the specs in the brochure)

Erhayes, would you consider the diesel if the 2.5 doesn't meet expectations? I am too awaiting to test. I feel the 2.5 will be just right.

I'm personally excidedly holding out for the diesel at this point due to a lifelong love of diesels and dislike of VW, though I'm definitely going to take a 2.5 out for a test drive as soon as I get the opportunity... if it truly sings to me, then I may consider biting the bullet and going for it. Luckily, like erhayes, I'm not in the position where I need a new car right now. On the occasion when my 3 sedan doesn't have the capacity for what I need to do I have access to the family truck and a few other vehicles... but I can't get another Bernese Mountain Dog until I have a big enough car to carry both!

Dad of Jon - beyond jealous that you have the diesel powertrain available, Mazda just needs to get it together and bring it to our side of the pond! I can't imagine the higher displacement 2.5L petrol motor would be very popular in the UK given the differences in fuel costs and tax structure.

Keen to try out the 2.5L. At least in the Mazda 6, the 2.2L Diesel is still outperforming the 2.5L - but then again, the 2.2L Diesel is a beast.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-6-sedan-first-drive-review

The direct-injected 2.5-liter, 16-valve Skyactiv gasoline engine that is confirmed for the States performs with equal aplomb, exploiting its higher-rpm capabilities to produce 189 hp at 5700 rpm. When called on to perform downshifts, the six-speed auto responds smartly and delivers 189 ft-lb of torque at 3250 rpm, hustling the vehicle with relative ease.

At least the 2.5L doesn't feel so bad though.... but

Only in the direct shadow of the diesel does the gasoline engine feel a little anemic, and that’s primarily at low rpm.

2014 CX5's are starting to show up at the dealers here in the San Francisco Bay area.

Hoping to get a test drive some time this week.

Like some of you here, I'm also waiting to see how much difference the 2.5l makes. If the power feels similar to what the 2013 CRV feels like, that's good enough for me.

2014 CX5's are starting to show up at the dealers here in the San Francisco Bay area.

Hoping to get a test drive some time this week.

Like some of you here, I'm also waiting to see how much difference the 2.5l makes. If the power feels similar to what the 2013 CRV feels like, that's good enough for me.

car & driver and auto blog first drives are out. they are very favorable towards the new engine.

my biggest shock is that the 2.5 is now standard on touring and gt trims. looking at around a $500 premium for the 2014 some of which is attributable to the yearly model change, some to extra profit due to the success of the model, and obviously some to the engine. either way it is a negligible cost and the gas mileage is nearly the same.

glad I waited.... once again early adopters get burned

I was able to get a quick test drive on surface streets and a quick stint on the freeway in a 2014 cx5 GT.

Right off the bat, I could tell there was more power in the car. The main thing is that the torque is readily available. The engine doesn't have to work so hard to get the car moving, so it doesn't feel as strained as the 2.0l.

My best comparison is to a 2013 CRV that I took a road trip from San Diego to Los Angeles and back. The crv's power was plenty and I never really felt the need for more power. With the 2.5l in the CX5, the power feels like the crv now, except the steering and handling are WAY better.

Transmission is still programmed to be relatively reluctant to downshift. So that could lead to some feelings of unresponsiveness or weakness since you have to prod the gas pedal a little more to get it to downshift. But at least when it does, it doesn't have to work so hard to get up to speed compared to the 2.0l. The crv seemed more willing to downshift when you call for more power, unless you have it in ECO mode.

In the end, the 2014 cx5 feels perfect now. There's no compromising with the 2.5l. With the 2.0l, I thought it was enough, but it didn't hurt to have more.

once again early adopters get burned

That's funny, I feel lucky that I was able to get the more efficient 2.0L engine combined with features that are only available on the touring or grand-touring trim levels (like All-Wheel Drive since I am an avid skier).

To get AWD or an automatic transmission on 2014 (and presumably future models) buyers are forced into the bigger engine which consumes anywhere from 3-8% more fuel. That would be an unwelcome change for me since the ski area is not exactly a short trip and I am more than pleased with the sporty driving experience provided by the 2.0L equipped CX-5.

I definitely DO NOT feel burned, especially since the release of a newer model does not change the car I purchased one little bit. If I had wanted more power I could have purchased the Audi with it's 3.2L engine (or one of it's competitors) but a major selling point of the Mazda was it's efficiency.

Last edited:
Given the sales success, customer satisfaction and above average reliability (data collected by CR) of model year 2013, doubt many owners feel "burned". And those that bought GT's in early 2012 saved $1K versus model year 2014.

^ Agreed. I am more bothered by the lack of Pandora app for our 2013 tech package than anything else.

I'm finding reports of the lighter Mazda 6 with the 2.5 G engine going 0-60 mph in about 7.8-8.4 seconds. I would imagine the 2.5 in the CX5 will be similar.

The 2.5 in the CX-5 is a whole second faster at least (which is by a large margin). Reported by Car & Driver.

Back