2014 CX-5 100k service

Thanks all for your inputs.

In particular, appreciate yrwei52 and Snorting2.5 for their thoughts on LCA. Repair quote is from a local repair shop and LCA (right and left) is the most expensive item on the list. I will get a second quote from other shop and see if it is any better

Any thoughts on the drive belt-serpentine. Apparently, it is also due. Please see below

View attachment 327557
Also adding both LCAs - do both look bad equally bad (rubber and ball joint)
View attachment 327559
View attachment 327558
If the ball joints on the LCAs are still in good shape without play, the worn bushings won’t cause immediate danger other than some clunking noise. But if the rubber seal on ball joints is cracked or broken with play, it definitely is time to replace the LCAs. I went to Brakes Plus to replace a LCA on passenger side with my own OEM LCA, the labor is $258 and the 4-wheel alignment is $87.

Yes your serpentine belt has cracks and should be replaced. There’s a water pump stretch belt inside of serpentine belt which should be replaced at the same time and save the labor charge. If you’re going to DIY on this task using the OEM water pump stretch belt is recommended as the aftermarket belt such as Gates is a bit shorter and it’s very difficult to put on. And don’t forget to replace the belt tensioner as the factory tensioner is prone to leak. Use only OEM or INA tensioner.

And don’t forget to replace the coolant with fresh FL-22 coolant, it’s due in 10 years, and 5 years thereafter.

Early worn can just make for sloppy handling without clunks and squeaks … at least that was the case on a few of my older vehicles in the past.

These cars' LCA bushings seem to clunk first and fail second. Very little movement (if any) detectable until they fail.

I would definitely replace that serpentine belt as precautionary measure. At 220,000km, mine was in rough shape.

If your ball joints have play in them, find a better quote and replace them. Otherwise, you could leave those for now (if you wish.)
To be honest, I don't understand what "play" means here. I am assuming that the play is not desirable. Is there a way to tell while driving whether there is play in LCA ball joints or not? Like while turning or going over potholes.

The only unusual noise that I have noticed recently is that while driving and not accelerating (feet not on the gas pedal), there is additional sound from a rotating piece. Not sure where it is coming from it is from transmission, engine, belt. But it is there. Hoping it goes away after service

To be honest, I don't understand what "play" means here. I am assuming that the play is not desirable. Is there a way to tell while driving whether there is play in LCA ball joints or not? Like while turning or going over potholes.

The only unusual noise that I have noticed recently is that while driving and not accelerating (feet not on the gas pedal), there is additional sound from a rotating piece. Not sure where it is coming from it is from transmission, engine, belt. But it is there. Hoping it goes away after service
Watch this video in the thread and both LCAs were loose and needed to be replaced at 33,000 miles on a 2020 CX-5:

CX-5 Feels squirrelly

Actually, if you look again, it looks like the lower control arm is wiggling with the wheel (both sides). Doubt it's the bearings, just the LCA. Also, why are they changing the shocks? If they're not weeping, I would doubt you need need shocks at 30K.

Read the thread.

Yes, particularly when you do both. Going over a bump mid corner will do the trick. You might hear a clunk, or a thud, a snapping sound, something wobbling around (Play.) Note, it could be things other than the Ball Joint.

With the car up in the air, take the two front wheels and try to wiggle them side to side (Assuming your lug nuts are tight) There should be no play (Meaning, the front wheels do not budge, even with considerable effort.)

Gates will give you a gauge to check wear with. If you see sections of the micro ribs missing it needs replacement. Cracks in the ribs mean it will need it soon.

Back