2013 CX-5 TPMS Issue

shadowfiber

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring + Tech Pkg
Hi All,

Hoping someone has some insight here before I have to potentially spend hundreds of dollars to the dealer.

TPMS light came on a couple days ago, checked all the tires and everything showed a steady 34. Did the handbook reset method. Accessory mode, reset TPMS, light off until the next drive and then came on again.

Took it to the dealer, they wanted to reset it again for me. And light came on a second time.

Now the dealer wants a minimum of $115 to just diagnose the problem and go from there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Sounds like if you want a properly-functioning TPMS, you don't have much choice. I wouldn't think an independent shop would be of much help on this.

The early 2013s have an error correction cycle that requires multiple resets and was corrected in later years. I would reset it 4-5 times before I would give up on it and have it worked on. Make sure your ABS works as the ABS wheel speed sensor is what is used as input to the TPMS.

I don't know if this helps, but my wife's 3 had a sensor go bad, and the tire shop we usually go to said sorry, we are out of that sensor right now, try the dealer. So we went to the dealer and it was hundreds of dollars to replace the sensor. We did it, but the next time I was at the tire shop for a free rotation, I told the guy how much it was and he was like "what the hell?!?" He said the sensors they sell are like $20 or so, and labor to install isn't much. I think the sensor alone at the dealer was well over a hundred bucks.

Just saying, might want to check some of the good tire shops around you.

I adjust my ties overnight cold to 34 psig AND then reset the TPM as instructed in my owners manual. Supposedly, the light will indicate a low tire if the pressure on a tire drops 4 psig or some number. If you don't reset the monitor after adjust the pressure as others have said, it will trip the light.

A lot of good information here, but unfortunately, I am not sure what to do with any of it. I did find the TSM on the procedure to reset the TPMS, it requires specific Mazda software to reset, which is quite annoying. Definitely worried about getting taken advantage of in this situation from the dealer, but do correct if I am wrong, but I don't know if I have any other options?? :(

I thought about trying to inflate to +4-8, then setting, then deflating 4-8, and trying again, but I don't know if that's the proper procedure.

Definitely seems like a pain in the ass if this is going to happen regularly.

A lot of good information here, but unfortunately, I am not sure what to do with any of it. I did find the TSM on the procedure to reset the TPMS, it requires specific Mazda software to reset, which is quite annoying. Definitely worried about getting taken advantage of in this situation from the dealer, but do correct if I am wrong, but I don't know if I have any other options?? :(

I thought about trying to inflate to +4-8, then setting, then deflating 4-8, and trying again, but I don't know if that's the proper procedure.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion if I were you. What you're experiencing appears to be some kind of anomaly as I rarely see complaints about the TPMS here. I have a 2013 Touring like you and the only time I've ever heard a peep out of the system is when I picked up a screw in one tire and the pressure dropped to 23# which set off the light. I check my pressures at least once a month and rarely even bother to reset the TPMS as I figure once I've set it at the recommended pressure, it doesn't know if I'm adjusting pressures up or down a pound or two. Seems to work just fine after 3.5 years of doing this.

I don't know if this helps, but my wife's 3 had a sensor go bad, and the tire shop we usually go to said sorry, we are out of that sensor right now, try the dealer. So we went to the dealer and it was hundreds of dollars to replace the sensor. We did it, but the next time I was at the tire shop for a free rotation, I told the guy how much it was and he was like "what the hell?!?" He said the sensors they sell are like $20 or so, and labor to install isn't much. I think the sensor alone at the dealer was well over a hundred bucks.
Just saying, might want to check some of the good tire shops around you.
Mazda uses ABS speed sensor from each road tire for TPMS system. There is no pressure sensor inside of each tire. The tire stores normally only sell pressure sensor or rebuild kit when they change your tires if your car is so equipped. I don't believe your tire shop spoke the same sensor as your dealer's.

BTW, how did you know which sensor was bad?

I've seem people had damaged ABS wheel speed sensor which caused TPMS malfunction. Do you have any mods on your suspension or tires? The worst case is you can get a CX-5 ABS wheel speed sensor for about $30+ and try it out one wheel at a time. Here is TPMS wiring diagram from Kedis82ZE8 which may or may not help you:

Looks like TPMS makes use of barometric pressure and temperature sensors. Also some history data it can keep.
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.51.39%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.53.15%20AM.png

Mazda uses ABS speed sensor from each road tire for TPMS system. There is no pressure sensor inside of each tire. The tire stores normally only sell pressure sensor or rebuild kit when they change your tires if your car is so equipped. I don't believe your tire shop spoke the same sensor as your dealer's.

BTW, how did you know which sensor was bad?

We were told by the tire shop it was bad, and the parts drawer organizer was the same kind of thing the dealer gave me when they replaced it. I think it is actually in the cubby in the drivers door still. I don't think I threw it away.
Not sure if it matters but this was on the 2010 Mazda3. They might use different sensors on the CX-5.

We were told by the tire shop it was bad, and the parts drawer organizer was the same kind of thing the dealer gave me when they replaced it. I think it is actually in the cubby in the drivers door still. I don't think I threw it away.
Not sure if it matters but this was on the 2010 Mazda3. They might use different sensors on the CX-5.

It definitely matters. If anyone tries to sell you TPMS sensors for the CX-5 they are ripping you off.

It definitely matters. If anyone tries to sell you TPMS sensors for the CX-5 they are ripping you off.

So if the dealer says the sensor is bad, what do I do? Obviously they can be retrained from what the TSB says, but I'm not sure how to proceed... Any guidance would be appreciated.

Have the dealer check and make sure you have the most recent software installed. There have been a few updates and it could be a no charge update. A few weeks back, I brought my CX5 in for a state inspection and oil change, (first time to the dealer for service) and they said it needed had a recall/advisory for the software. No charge for the software. My TPMS had been on for months, pressure was good and I'd tried resetting it a number of times. Since the visit, I've had no problems with the TPMS.

Mazda no longer uses those types of sensors. Currently, as with most manufacturers today, they use the ABS system sensors now by processing wheel speeds and other factors.

Hi
I had same issues for like 2 years on and off. At the end, took the car again when air pressure were correct at all 4 wheels, but alarm came on. Dealer reset it on the computer again but the TMPS lights came out. Finally they replaced a module (Not sure which parts) and no longer TMPS lights comes on even with correct tire pressure.

Hi
I had same issues for like 2 years on and off. At the end, took the car again when air pressure were correct at all 4 wheels, but alarm came on. Dealer reset it on the computer again but the TMPS lights came out. Finally they replaced a module (Not sure which parts) and no longer TMPS lights comes on even with correct tire pressure.
It would be very helpful if you could post the name and part number of the module replaced by the dealer. It's on your paperwork or invoice.

Any suggestions?

After reading this overly-complicated fix to an annoyance....I don't know how many others in other auto forums and as well my own TPMS issue with a 2k7 Tacoma my best suggestion is: write your congress-persons (or MP or whatever), complain about regulations requiring TPMS and have it repealed.

The whole thing is little more than a charity for tire shops and service departments. The sensors are bound to fail: they're battery powered with a 5-7 year design life but there are a lot that fail early. So that makes me think there's bound to be a lot of people driving around with TPMS lights glowing all the time.

Just thinking about it a little bit: will the person so oblivious they'd drive around with tires 15-20lbs under-pressure give any greater concern that the TPMS light is blinking? I don't: I think that when a sensor goes bad they MIGHT go to a shop who'll check pressure for them then tell them (when it won't reset) their TPMS light is bad then spew at the cost and continue merrily driving around, even with flattened tires just like they used to, ignoring the blinking indicator.

Sure, there are a lot of people, like those in this forum, with the means to keep such delicate things sorted and would gladly do so for some measure of peace of mind: for them the TPMS could be made a costed option just like anti-lock brakes, AWD and stability control systems. As for me: I'd rather have it removed and get some of the cost back on vehicle purchase price. At the VERY LEAST require a system that has extreme high reliability and requires no maintenance for the vehicle life: like the system that uses ABS inputs and algorithms to compute tire rotation differences to infer tire pressure changes.

Last edited:
I did have one TPMS sensor fail early on my '07 Infiniti but the rest are now 9 years old and still working fine. Old school valve stem model on Infiniti.

Back