Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Well.... it looks like I'll be changing my vote to Yes soon.

Garage had nice big blobs of green coolant on the floor and coolant level way below the Low mark. The coolant was located closer to the passenger side backside of the engine.

They can't get me in until next week to check it out so they can confirm then. In the meantime, I'm not driving it. However, would it be wise to top it off and drive the 45 minutes to the dealership? Or should I have it towed?

Last edited:
They can't get me in until next week to check it out so they can confirm then. In the meantime, I'm not driving it. However, would it be wise to top it off and drive the 45 minutes to the dealership? Or should I have it towed?
It depends on how bad the leak is. If you can get it towed, then do it. Check with your service advisor. How many miles you have on the clock?

Well.... it looks like I'll be changing my vote to Yes soon.

Garage had nice big blobs of green coolant on the floor and coolant level way below the Low mark. The coolant was located closer to the passenger side backside of the engine.

What does the oil look like? If it's not contaminated with coolant you could probably drive it without worry.

However, would it be wise to top it off and drive the 45 minutes to the dealership? Or should I have it towed?
I drove mine, but at the time, I had no other issues. Assuming you have no other issues, and it's not leaking to the point of overheating, you're likely fine to drive it*, but you could see if Mazda roadside assistance will come get it at no cost? Not sure if they will, but it could be worth a call, and maybe they could take it in sooner without you needing to go, unless you're going to get a loaner from the dealer.

* I am not responsible for any damages or pain suffered from you taking this advice. Just simply sharing my $0.02. If you are not comfortable or are worried about potential issues, having it towed is the option you should take.

I drove mine, but at the time, I had no other issues. Assuming you have no other issues, and it's not leaking to the point of overheating, you're likely fine to drive it*, but you could see if Mazda roadside assistance will come get it at no cost? Not sure if they will, but it could be worth a call, and maybe they could take it in sooner without you needing to go, unless you're going to get a loaner from the dealer.

* I am not responsible for any damages or pain suffered from you taking this advice. Just simply sharing my $0.02. If you are not comfortable or are worried about potential issues, having it towed is the option you should take.

I'm not expert, but after checking the oil it looked ok to me. Oil level was fine. I couldn't smell any coolant in it either that I could tell.

I'll be working w/ Mazda to get their recommendations on how best to get it down there.

*Don't worry about your advice and it coming back to haunt you. lol.

They're replacing the engine anyway. Drive it.

I found the coolant leak when I was doing an oil change...
I knowingly sent my wife on a couple hour road trip with my nieces in it. Told her to watch the temp gauge and we'd take it in when the dealership was open.

Perhaps, but the Supra is hardly a Toyota. To quote one enthusiast: "It's a BMW Z4 with an identity crisis."
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 3rd gen Supra with the 7MGTE 3.0 DOHC turbo motor, not the late BMW version.

I got my CX-9 back today. I’m not thrilled. It drives mostly like I remember but there are things that don’t work now, like my heated steering wheel and the adaptive headlights. I made an appointment to take it back but this drama stinks. If anyone knows how to reset or fix these lights, I’d love a link or a DM so I can do it myself instead of waiting until 12/13 (next available time I could make). They reset them before I left but they came back after to stopped and turned the car off. 😩

Attachments

• AD23F170-C9E4-4D71-88C6-B6EC4555A61D.jpeg
    AD23F170-C9E4-4D71-88C6-B6EC4555A61D.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I’d love a link or a DM so I can do it myself instead of waiting until 12/13 (next available time I could make).
I'd like to know also if anyone can be generous with the info and preserve it in the forum's knowledge base.

I got my CX-9 back today. I’m not thrilled. It drives mostly like I remember but there are things that don’t work now, like my heated steering wheel and the adaptive headlights. I made an appointment to take it back but this drama stinks. If anyone knows how to reset or fix these lights, I’d love a link or a DM so I can do it myself instead of waiting until 12/13 (next available time I could make). They reset them before I left but they came back after to stopped and turned the car off. 😩

I'd like to know also if anyone can be generous with the info and preserve it in the forum's knowledge base.

Sorry to hear that @s0n1c. If you haven't checked the fuses yet, there is a specific fuse in the engine bay fuse box for the steering wheel heater. It is Fuse #47 in the diagram below.

Capture.JPG

Regarding the adaptive front lighting system, I created a Resource which can be found here:

I have a 2018 as well, so I went out to my car to see exactly where you'd need to go to reset the adaptive headlights. From the Home Menu, go to Settings on the right, then switch to the Vehicle tab and select Lighting.

20211201_080334.jpg

From here you can disable/enable adaptive lighting.

20211201_080317.jpg

Failing that, you can try a factory reset.

20211201_080358.jpg

If that doesn't work, I think you'd need to go back to the dealer, unfortunately. Hope this helps, though.

Is there an easy way to check if your engine has been replaced by the previous owner? I bought mine used and was checking the CarFax report last night. The previous owner had regular service every 6 months which was also around 5,000 miles until 38k miles. At 37,569 miles, they broke the 6 month cycle but the entry just says “service performed.” The next entry is 38,369 miles 8 months later. My original thought was they just weren’t driving because that was the start of the pandemic, but now I’m wondering if they had the engine replaced. Vehicle is at just under 60k miles now and not a drop of coolant anywhere on the outside of the engine, coolant level has been the same for weeks, and oil analysis came back clean on the last oil change. Either I got lucky so far, or the engine had been replaced previously

Is there an easy way to check if your engine has been replaced by the previous owner? I bought mine used and was checking the CarFax report last night. The previous owner had regular service every 6 months which was also around 5,000 miles until 38k miles. At 37,569 miles, they broke the 6 month cycle but the entry just says “service performed.” The next entry is 38,369 miles 8 months later. My original thought was they just weren’t driving because that was the start of the pandemic, but now I’m wondering if they had the engine replaced. Vehicle is at just under 60k miles now and not a drop of coolant anywhere on the outside of the engine, coolant level has been the same for weeks, and oil analysis came back clean on the last oil change. Either I got lucky so far, or the engine had been replaced previously
I wonder if the dealer can run the VIN to see the vehicle's dealer service history? I'd assume that if the engine was replaced, it would have been done at a Mazda dealer under warranty. If so, that invoice should be available, right?

If that doesn't work, I think you'd need to go back to the dealer, unfortunately. Hope this helps, though.
Thanks for the tips. I tried all of these already hoping I’d get them to go out (and my lights to pivot again), but no luck. I’ve got an appointment but it’s two weeks away. I was just hoping I could solve it myself in just a few minutes because it looks like things work, right up until they don’t 🤣

I also want to state that aside from the little things that seem out of place, my car drives and runs WAAAAAAAAY better. The idle is so calm and quiet and even with the ac on I don’t feel vibrations when sitting at a stop light. My big concern is I’m taking a 2000 mile trip starting tomorrow and the little details make me worried they missed something and I’ll end up stranded on the side of the road.

I also want to state that aside from the little things that seem out of place, my car drives and runs WAAAAAAAAY better. The idle is so calm and quiet and even with the ac on I don’t feel vibrations when sitting at a stop light. My big concern is I’m taking a 2000 mile trip starting tomorrow and the little details make me worried they missed something and I’ll end up stranded on the side of the road.

It's good to hear that the basic functions seem to be working well, but I would have the same concerns. I'm sure you've already tried, but I would contact the dealership general manager to let him know about your situation. Best case scenario is that they give you a loaner or rental to use for your trip while they sort out the headlight issue.

In any case, I hope your trip goes well, regardless of what happens with the car!

Call the mazda dealership. In Canada at least the mazda dealership have access to all the maintenance history if it was done in any other Mazda dealership. I assume it is the same in the U.S.

Back