1200 mile oil change..synthetic?

I dont see why there would be any problem switching over to a synthetic oil no matter what the miles are. I did the switch at 2100 miles and wish I would have changed sooner.

Change it at will. The earlier you start using a good oil, the better off your engine will be. It can't hurt to get rid of that factory fill considering how many times your car was probably started, driven across a small parking lot, and shut off. Combine that with wear metals that are always present in factory fill, and it's a good oil to get rid of ASAP.

I dont see why there would be any problem switching over to a synthetic oil no matter what the miles are. I did the switch at 2100 miles and wish I would have changed sooner.

it's actually recommended that if you were to go synthetic you do it at an earlier time. when regular oil is used for a long time it tends to assist in blocking cracks or any other places oil might find it's way out at. when you switch to synthetics a while down the road you run the risk of the smaller, more equal-sized molecules finding those holes or cracks to escape from.

so if you were to wait for a long period of time before going synthetic it might just be better to go with the semi-synthetic stuff. as for me, when the first oil change is due, im gonna go ahead and switch to whatever synthetic i can find at walmart (generally the cheapest)

I'm a motorcycle engine builder up here in new england and what I tell my costomers is to use regular oil for several heat cycles at variable throttle then change to what ever oil they want. With the miles you have on the car you should be fine switching to synthetic.

I would say to use regular oil for the first few changes then make the switch. Also, why are you changing the oil so early?

Moultese - I dont know his reasoning but for me it was even recommended by the dealer to change the oil around 1500-2000 miles for the first change. There was a decent amount of metal flakes in the oil filter after the first change and it was already dark. so I changed it early to clean out the metal and at that its not a special "break in" oil so it didn't matter when it was taken out. In fact I cant find anywhere or anyone to tell me what oil came in the car from the factory.

Hrmm, that's weird. I just never heard of that before. I mean, if your oil needs changing, it needs changing. My dealer just told me to get it done every 3000 miles. Although, I may check it at around 1500 just to make sure.

Theres nothing wrong with getting the first change done at 3000 miles, its not going to hurt anything. It was just a recommendation to do it earlier and I wanted synthetic oil in the car so it seemed like a good enough time to change it. I will change the oil again at 5000 miles and maybe every 3000-5000 miles thereafter.

Moultese - I dont know his reasoning but for me it was even recommended by the dealer to change the oil around 1500-2000 miles for the first change. There was a decent amount of metal flakes in the oil filter after the first change and it was already dark. so I changed it early to clean out the metal and at that its not a special "break in" oil so it didn't matter when it was taken out. In fact I cant find anywhere or anyone to tell me what oil came in the car from the factory.

Depends on the manufacturer. I had an S2000 before and after quite a few factory fill oil analysis people had gotten over at S2ki.com, it was found that the factory fill had a higher concentration of moly, which we had assumed that Honda was using to aid in break in. Maybe the S2000 is a rare case, since the motor is hand assembled.

Depends on the manufacturer. I had an S2000 before and after quite a few factory fill oil analysis people had gotten over at S2ki.com, it was found that the factory fill had a higher concentration of moly, which we had assumed that Honda was using to aid in break in. Maybe the S2000 is a rare case, since the motor is hand assembled.

I dont doubt that, for some reason it's been real hard finding out what Mazda put in this car at the factory. There have been guesses that it's a special break in oil that contains the extra moly and some people say its just regular dyno oil. The fact that Mazda or the dealers dont really say or know is another reason I changed my oil early.

Most engines are assembled with a moly paste assembly lube. This lube is washed out of the bearings and other parts by the oil at start up then it is mixed into it. I never herd of a speicial break in oil containing moly.

I have heard many times in many places over the years that going to synth is not good for the engine at an early life.

This is because that type of oil, once used, will not allow for a proper seating of the rings on the cylinder walls. Regular oil isn't as good for lubrication in most circustances so it allows for a better break in.

I am not mechanic or anything like that, but I have heard this type of thing discussed a million times on motorcycle forums and I would think that the same principle is applied to cars but I may be wrong.

I was at a dealership (Mazda) getting my 10k done and the tech mentioned how Mazda doesn't want you to go FULL synthetic until 10k. The 5k is actually a blend.

Do what you want of course but I personally wouldn't go full synth too early in any vehicle.

Seems to work fine for Aston Martin, Bentley, Cadillac, Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Mercedes SLR, Mitsubishi Evolution, Viper SRT-10.

All these vehicles, as well as some other non-exotics have Mobil 1 installed at the factory. It's not likely that any of these carmakers would put an oil in at the factory that would compromise their engines in any way.

That's a very good point.

Maybe they build the engines with different tolerances though.

Back