1200 mile oil change..synthetic?

I really don't think GM builds motors for Caddy's or even the Vette any differently than Mazda. If anything, they're looser. You can only make a motor so tight. They're not supposed to be THAT tight. The point of synthetics is their resistances to break down at higher temps allowing longer change intervals. I don't believe they necessarily provide less friction for tighter motors. The Europeans have been using synthetics for longer drain intervals for years. 12-24 month intervals!

I did a two minute search on Google and found this:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-breakin.htm

Seems like a well thought out explaination that doesn't go too deep about it. If a car company is making the car in a way that can handle synthetic from the start, then go for it.

I would think that other factors are invovled as well. For example, the cost difference between having to use sythetic vs conventional over the course of ownership. I think you can't really go back from synth once you switch unless you have the engine flushed.

That being the case, the guys as Mazda said to not go to sythetic until 10k. I am already past that at 12k and as of now, I have no problems or oil consumption between changes which I will now do at a steady 5k interval.

I found this as well but it's from Mobil 1:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

They mention how no leaking will occur if used in older cars. I can't confirm that but on older motorcycles, they can and have. In older Harleys, they have been known to go through the tiny holes in the gaskets that the conventional oil can't penetrate. Switching back always seems to fix that issue.

There are many trains of thought about engine break-in. Remember that the motors in most production vehicles are not built with the tolerances of a race motor or even a shade tree mechanic using his buddy's machine shop to rebuild the motor in his '68 Camaro. It is much easier to build a tighter motor doing a one-off in your garage than it is for Mazda to make hundreds of thousands of these motors that have to last 4 years/50,000 miles under a powertrain warranty. Although Redline makes oils for everyday use, their mentality seems to be more towards the race motor world. They make competition fluids. Mobil on the other hand seems more of an off the shelf oil that is mostly used for street driven, production vehicles. If you were going to break in a fresh motor, you'd probably want to do it on a bench, out of the car in a controlled environment. We obviously can't do that and I know it sure as heck isn't done during the various test drives the car may have been taken on at the port and/or dealer. I had always been under the impression that the motors in production vehicles were run-in at the factory, but I could be wrong.

Late to discussion, but old school says on a newly rebuilt performance motor you change the oil at 100, 200, 500, 1000. Then switch. The dealership wants to put dino stuff in. I changed mine early and often, now just synthetic at 3-4 k. I asked Mazda and got different stories about the factory pre running for break in, so I played safe. My oil is looking not so good at every 2500, even though I know it is rated to 5000. I have to change it more often.

I changed mine at a kilomile using dead lizards. Next at 5K with conventional again. I plan to go to synthetic at 10K.

Man, I musta been tired when I posted that one.

Last edited:
Back