2023 CX-5 Turbo vs Premium Plus

How do you get that? If I drive on long distances on the highway, I get close to 27. Half highway and half city gets me around 23 on my Turbo
You must be doing somthing wrong. I just came back from a 700 mile round trip, mostly highway with a good amount of stop lights. 2 adults, dog and fully loaded car and my avg mpg was 31.

How are you getting these numbers?
Non-turbo, non-cd 2016 version. Amazing,eh? It was a trip from Pa to Delaware, highway miles(averaged 65 mph). I believe it had something to do with the new Nokian Entyre 2.0 tires with 36psi lbs. of pressure I had just put on back then. Was also able to get 34 mpg highway with my 2014 CX5.

Non-turbo, non-cd 2016 version. Amazing,eh? It was a trip from Pa to Delaware, highway miles(averaged 65 mph). I believe it had something to do with the new Nokian Entyre 2.0 tires with 36psi lbs. of pressure I had just put on back then. Was also able to get 34 mpg highway with my 2014 CX5.
You have a 2016.5 CX 5 AWD and your mileage is amazing for an AWD! The best MPG I could get on my 2016 CX-5 AWD was 29 which was driving dangerously under 70 on the Texas Interstate highway!

Tires, type of fuel and may be oil play a big role for the 2.5NA. I regularly get 35 mpg on my 2018 FWD after I removed the Toyo and went to more optimized tires and drive in a moderate way.

The Turbo cant match that of course and by design it is running "rich". Especially when driven in city traffic or with more than 65 miles per hour on the highway with hills up and down. If driven at around 65 , I can get around 28-30 mpg on the higway. City traffic avg is terrible though.

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4586.jpeg

The Nokian tires I put on got rave reviews for fuel mileage for that model tire. Big difference, shocked the hell out of me. I do tend to run mid grade fuel for trips.

I am lucky my 2023 turbo with 4000 miles gets 28-29mpg. I would be disappointed with 23mpg too
Wow! I never get better than 21 MPG on my 2021 Signature and I do mostly freeway driving. It's the only thing I dislike about my CX-5. I often wonder if there is something wrong with my engine since everyone seems to get better MPG than me.

Wow! I never get better than 21 MPG on my 2021 Signature and I do mostly freeway driving. It's the only thing I dislike about my CX-5. I often wonder if there is something wrong with my engine since everyone seems to get better MPG than me.

What's the mileage on your CX-5? Basic maintenance done at regular intervals?

Personally, I would check tire pressures first, then make sure the engine air filter isn't too dirty. After that I would do a fuel system cleaner. If that doesn't change anything, I might consider spark plugs depending on mileage. The manual recommends new plugs at 40k miles for the 2.5T.

How are you calculating MPG? Are you using the dash reading? If so next time you fill up reset it and then monitor it. If you don't reset it it becomes historical and if you had some low MPG trips that can schew the readings.

How are you calculating MPG? Are you using the dash reading? If so next time you fill up reset it and then monitor it. If you don't reset it it becomes historical and if you had some low MPG trips that can schew the readings.
I've tried resetting both the trips after filling up and then doing mostly freeway driving and by the time the tank is close to empty, the average MPG is always 21 MPG.

Are OEM plugs pre-gapped? Are they difficult to replace yourself? My CX-5 was one of those that had the faulty exhaust valve seals which caused excessive oil burn so who knows if that caused premature wear of my spark plugs. I'm currently at 31K.

PY8V-18-110 - Spark Plug 2016-2021 Mazda | Mazda Parts Online

I did both a fuel treatment and oil treatment right before my last 5k service.

I used this stuff.

Just a heads up, Mazda doesn't recommend using oil additives or treatments. The manual warns against using them. Fuel treatments are ok though.

The OEM plugs are pre-gapped. Changing them on the 2.5T is a breeze, provided you have a decent spark plug socket and torque wrench. When I did it on my CX-9, it took me less than 30 minutes, and it was my first time doing a spark plug change ever. I was also using hand tools. I can knock out a plug change in 15 now, probably even less with power tools.

You can try swapping in new plugs a little early, it might help. Do you have any oil consumption issues?

Just a heads up, Mazda doesn't recommend using oil additives or treatments. The manual warns against using them. Fuel treatments are ok though.

The OEM plugs are pre-gapped. Changing them on the 2.5T is a breeze, provided you have a decent spark plug socket and torque wrench. When I did it on my CX-9, it took me less than 30 minutes, and it was my first time doing a spark plug change ever. I was also using hand tools. I can knock out a plug change in 15 now, probably even less with power tools.

You can try swapping in new plugs a little early, it might help. Do you have any oil consumption issues?
Thanks buddy! I no longer have an oil consumption issue because I had the repair done to replace the defective exhaust valve seals. I may take a shot at replacing the plugs myself. I'd have to buy a torque wrench though. Do you know what the torque spec is? Thanks!

Thanks buddy! I no longer have an oil consumption issue because I had the repair done to replace the defective exhaust valve seals. I may take a shot at replacing the plugs myself. I'd have to buy a torque wrench though. Do you know what the torque spec is? Thanks!

You can try renting a torque wrench if you don't think you'll be using it often. Some home improvement stores offer tool rental, so you can call them up to see if they have a torque wrench to rent - you'll want one that has a 3/8" or 1/4" drive.

The spark plug torque spec is 14 lb-ft (168 in-lb) or 18.98 N-m.

Here's a guide for the spark plug replacement.

And a video:

IMG_3735.jpeg

Interesting what is the specifica to get this. As almost nobody from the folks that report could reach this on their Turbo if driving in mixed mode and with the crappy ozonated fuels with corn :) In most of the US states.
Please, share the secret.

I could somewhere near that if driving only highway but the moment I do mixed drive with city traffic and it drops to 25 :( Same if driving more than 75mph
I am almost sure if I can find pure gas 93 it would be better mpg but locally I can only get 91 and its still crap gas based on my obdii monitoring.

I don't know why anyone would buy a non turbo CX 5 unless they just can't afford it. I have a 2020 Signature purchased in Colombia, South America and while there have been some surprise maintenance costs , nothing related to the engine...so far/

i use sport mode all the time and drive like i stole it. I bought it new with 15 miles and was kicking in the turbo from day one. Speed limits are up to 80mph where i live. I hand figure every tank full and actually get better then computer shows. I run both 87 and 91 and always fill up at top tier stations. I try to fill up at cenex stations as my buddy ran the bulk mixing plant and he said cenex had the most rigid standards and 87 always tested higher than 87

may be then fuel and air plays a larger role?
Here in Arizona in the summer (different blend they ozonate it a lot) I always get crappy mpg, while with the winter fuel blend seems better. Plus its not super hot in the winter.

may be then fuel and air plays a larger role?
Here in Arizona in the summer (different blend they ozonate it a lot) I always get crappy mpg, while with the winter fuel blend seems better. Plus its not super hot in the winter.
with out a doubt fuel quality plays a role. Here we get a bit worse with winter blend as it is oxygenated.

Back