2023 CX-5 Turbo vs Premium Plus

pacifica has a 9 speed auto and is probably geared more like a car than an SUV. what were the RPMs at cruising speed?
Doesn't matter how many gears you have when you're at highway speeds, you're in high gear. I don't off hand remember the RPM but I was impressed with how low it was. Still, the thing as loaded to the hilt and getting good mileage, weighed far more than an empty Mazda and had a bigger engine, that's my point.

Yep. The Turbo Cx5 is around 2500 rpms at 75mph which is decent to me and low enough to not stress anything. It is similar on the NA.
I think the reported mpg being less at higher speed is due to Mazda keeping the turbo "rich" with more fuel. Lean fuel trims mean more problems vs rich. Check your exhaust outlets on a turbo and you would notice they are black while my non turbo is spot clean.

Last edited:
pacifica has a 9 speed auto and is probably geared more like a car than an SUV. what were the RPMs at cruising speed?
Doesn't matter how many gears you have when you're at highway speeds, you're in high gear. I don't off hand remember the RPM but I was impressed with how low it was. Still, the thing as loaded to the hilt and getting good mileage, weighed far more than an empty Mazda and had a bigger engine, that's my point.
And I wish Mazda can use a 8-speed or 9-speed transmission replacing the aging 6-speed automatic. It’ll improve the MPG ratings a bit and a much better choice to improve fuel economy than using cylinder deactivation.

I was impressed to the Japanese Aisin 8-speed auto used on a rental 2023 Citroën C4 gas 1.5L NA while we were vacationing in Spain recently. The highway speed limit in Spain usually is 120 or 130 kmh (75 ~ 80 mph). There’s a gear indicator next to the digital speedometer and the driver can easily see which gear you’re in. I found it usually won’t shift into the highest 8th gear unless the car speed is over ~110 kmh / 68 mph and steady. Whenever I press the gas pedal to accelerate, it’ll down shift to 6th or 7th gear immediately. So to keep the transmission at the highest 8th gear consistently even at the highway speed at 120 kmh / 75 mph is rather difficult.

EDE1A131-ADA3-4197-9832-049E32711CF3.jpeg

35003E65-7F02-4D45-8BF2-7E682DF8B273.jpeg

BTW, the MPG for the entire 4,527km / 2812.9-mile road trip is 32.6 with 4 adults and luggage.

32mpg is actually pretty bad for such a small diesel engine. I bet the auto transmission and the smaller engine are part of that low mpg.

32mpg is actually pretty bad for such a small diesel engine. I bet the auto transmission and the smaller engine are part of that low mpg.
I said it’s a 2023 Citroën C4 “gas” 1.5L NA, not a diesel. If you consider that we’ve been driven through Pyrenees Mountains with a full loaded car, 32.6 mpg isn’t too bad. Besides, we didn’t use the “ECON” mode for driving style feature as it’d enable the engine idle stop-start system which is annoying. The car comes almost full loaded. I really like the backup camera with dynamic trajectory guide line (where Mazda keeps refusing to offer for US market)、the 360° Bird-eye View Parking Monitor、and the Auto-Folding Outside Rearview Mirrors which helped us greatly for very tight parking there.

46A6C1CE-6E41-4E8B-B934-B6DC1A2E94FA.jpeg

We’d want a diesel in Spain as the diesel fuel is much cheaper in Europe, but it seems very difficult to find a diesel from the rental car company.

5B4974B5-4554-482E-90AE-E8330033F0B2.jpeg

68F5D23C-2C50-4828-9FCB-42BF24C4CD5C.jpeg

7A4AA0EA-7077-4F79-BC45-D5D3884FB13B.jpeg

C8360472-35E3-4867-8F92-CC6139AB3B1E.jpeg

2C623468-6795-4FB0-9E01-EE5C19878EB1.jpeg

Other than gas, everything else is much cheaper in Spain、Portugal、Andorra、or even France! Once there, I then realized how bad the current inflation is in the US! :(

Last edited:
I said it’s a 2023 Citroën C4 “gas” 1.5L NA, not a diesel. If you consider that we’ve been driven through Pyrenees Mountains with a full loaded car, 32.6 mpg isn’t too bad. Besides, we didn’t use the “ECON” mode for driving style feature as it’d enable the engine idle stop-start system which is annoying. The car comes almost full loaded. I really like the backup camera with dynamic trajectory guide line (where Mazda keeps refusing to offer for US market)、the 360° Bird-eye View Parking Monitor、and the Auto-Folding Outside Rearview Mirrors which helped us greatly for very tight parking there.

We’d want a diesel in Spain as the diesel fuel is much cheaper in Europe, but it seems very difficult to find a diesel from the rental car company.

View attachment 320160

View attachment 320161

Other than gas, everything else is much cheaper in Spain、Portugal、Andorra、or even France! Once there, I then realized how bad the current inflation is in the US! :(
yeah, diesel is more expensive than gas (petrol) here, at least in the northeast of the US. Diesel unfortunately also has a negative stigma here, but it's much more subtle than the higher prices. It's not just dieselgate that caused problems, but older diesels being stinky and GM's earlier diesel disaster didn't help. Sadly, a lot of the diesels here are older (~2000s-mid 2010s) VW diesels. I'm not saying they're bad cars, by most means, but we could have so many more diesel cars, newer VWs etc. many (most?) of our gas (petrol) cars don't have engines nearly as fuel efficient as what you have in Europe. I remember driving a 3 cylinder gas VW Polo in Spain (yes, i was there, back in 2004) and wondering why we couldn't have a car more like that in the states.

yeah, diesel is more expensive than gas (petrol) here, at least in the northeast of the US. Diesel unfortunately also has a negative stigma here, but it's much more subtle than the higher prices. It's not just dieselgate that caused problems, but older diesels being stinky and GM's earlier diesel disaster didn't help. Sadly, a lot of the diesels here are older (~2000s-mid 2010s) VW diesels. I'm not saying they're bad cars, by most means, but we could have so many more diesel cars, newer VWs etc. many (most?) of our gas (petrol) cars don't have engines nearly as fuel efficient as what you have in Europe. I remember driving a 3 cylinder gas VW Polo in Spain (yes, i was there, back in 2004) and wondering why we couldn't have a car more like that in the states.
Yes diesels are popular there in Europe. Once while we’re walking up to a mountain following the sheep migration, we took a ride on a Mercedes GLC 350d 4Matic driven by a nice French couple. The 3.0L I6 diesel engine is very powerful and quiet, can’t tell it’s a diesel at all in the cabin or standing near the hood!

35F05F24-B902-4486-B337-5CB89B304E09.jpeg

And I was very surprised not to see any EVs (may be 2 among hundreds of cars I’ve seen) even in large cities. I saw one Tesla in Andorra in entire 35-day trip. There’s almost no charging stations available anywhere. I wonder how the EU can ban all the ICEs by 2035?

31D11BDA-F941-4B5C-BACD-C483F963B46F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. The Turbo Cx5 is around 2500 rpms at 75mph which is decent to me and low enough to not stress anything. It is similar on the NA.
I think the reported mpg being less at higher speed is due to Mazda keeping the turbo "rich" with more fuel. Lean fuel trims mean more problems vs rich. Check your exhaust outlets on a turbo and you would notice they are black while my non turbo is spot clean.
Both the same and both getting nearly the sane mpg but the turbo is slightly better and actually traveling with 4 adults the non turbo has 3 adults we are on a long trip together.
IMG_3920.jpeg
IMG_3919.jpeg

I still can't understand how you are getting these numbers. I have left the "trip A" meter alone for 8k miles and the current reading is 23.8 MPG in various driving conditions. I rarely if ever see others reporting numbers similar to yours. Maybe your motor is just a special one....

I was going to ask you if you drive like an old lady, but you mentioned you DILYSI in another post.

The carbon comes right off, and my 23 turbo’s pipes look spiffy in a jiffy. A small price that I gladly pay for having a few more precious horsies under the hood.

I still can't understand how you are getting these numbers. I have left the "trip A" meter alone for 8k miles and the current reading is 23.8 MPG in various driving conditions. I rarely if ever see others reporting numbers similar to yours. Maybe your motor is just a special one....

I was going to ask you if you drive like an old lady, but you mentioned you DILYSI in another post.
Yes he must have a special 2.5T which can get amazing 28.9 average MPG! The average MPG on my 2016 CX-5 AWD with a 2.5L NA is only 25 ~ 26 with TCS off most of time.

probably no ethanol in the fuel :confused: sadly it kills the efficiency in all cars. And may be more flat surfaces , less stop/go traffic, cooler air more optimal burn etc

probably no ethanol in the fuel :confused: sadly it kills the efficiency in all cars. And may be more flat surfaces , less stop/go traffic, cooler air more optimal burn etc
We have 10% ethanol in our fuel and in western Montana either going up or going down. Speed limits are up to 80mph. I live in a smaller town compared to some ie 100,000 people. I think the secret is to…….i guess just be lucky. I actually mostly leave it in sport mode unless i am on the highway. My neighbors new cx50 turbo is getting really close to same mpg. We will have an apples to apples comparison coming up as we are taking a ~1800 mile road trip mid July. With just the wives so only two adults in each car. So far my car has seen gas from Montana, idaho,Washington and Oregon.

I have the same car with similar results. For whatever reason the 23 turbo starts to become very efficient after it’s broke in. I’m at close to 11,000 miles and with my daily commute went from 24-25 to 27 and now close to 30. It’s a mix of country and city driving with no highways. I also have no problem achieving 30 on the highway at 75 mph or less. The only time that deviates is with stormy/windy weather.

It just makes no sense at all. The 2.5T motor is identical from 2019-2023 (albeit with an extra 6hp starting in 22). If it really was able to achieve those figures, Mazda would certainly be touting it on the window sticker (which it isn't, currently 22 city and 27 highway, same as it is on my 21's window sticker). The true MPG should be around 24-25mpg in mixed driving. Mine is right at what the average says on the sticker - 24MPG per my tripmeter. We have also established jadmt and jofo67 are not babying their CX-5's and use the same 10% ethanol fuel we all do.

It just makes no sense at all. The 2.5T motor is identical from 2019-2023 (albeit with an extra 6hp starting in 22). If it really was able to achieve those figures, Mazda would certainly be touting it on the window sticker (which it isn't, currently 22 city and 27 highway, same as it is on my 21's window sticker). The true MPG should be around 24-25mpg in mixed driving. Mine is right at what the average says on the sticker - 24MPG per my tripmeter. We have also established jadmt and jofo67 are not babying their CX-5's and use the same 10% ethanol fuel we all do.
I seriously have never gotten anywhere near that low. I would be disappointed if i did. I hand figure every tankful ie miles driven divided by gallons used. This usually gives slightly better than the car computer shows. Most recent fill up was 250 miles took 7.5 gallons. Heading home tomorrow from a trip and will try and remember to take a photo of mpg and pump

And I wish Mazda can use a 8-speed or 9-speed transmission replacing the aging 6-speed automatic. It’ll improve the MPG ratings a bit and a much better choice to improve fuel economy than using cylinder deactivation.

I was impressed to the Japanese Aisin 8-speed auto used on a rental 2023 Citroën C4 gas 1.5L NA while we were vacationing in Spain recently. The highway speed limit in Spain usually is 120 or 130 kmh (75 ~ 80 mph). There’s a gear indicator next to the digital speedometer and the driver can easily see which gear you’re in. I found it usually won’t shift into the highest 8th gear unless the car speed is over ~110 kmh / 68 mph and steady. Whenever I press the gas pedal to accelerate, it’ll down shift to 6th or 7th gear immediately. So to keep the transmission at the highest 8th gear consistently even at the highway speed at 120 kmh / 75 mph is rather difficult.

View attachment 320152

View attachment 320153

BTW, the MPG for the entire 4,527km / 2812.9-mile road trip is 32.6 with 4 adults and luggage.
Mazda is going to an 8-sp with the new CX's. I wonder if it will be used in the CX-5 and 50?

Back