What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Wait it expires???? ...
Your "old" map continues to work just fine, it just may be outdated ... i.e. new/changing streets, speed limits etc. You have 3 updates in 3 years included with your new car purchase. You can purchase additional updates if you wish.

I have the Viofo 119 V3, was wondering to what fuse to tap it to. Did you found to what fuse we can use? And would it be for always on or turn off when car shuts off.
I have a VIOFO HK3 hardwire adapter and it’s quite smart. It taps to two fuses: one that’s always on and another that’s connected to the ignition. Camera automatically switches between modes when I turn on/off the car.

This isn’t my picture but I tapped to the same fuses. Top right is ACC and the one on the left is always on. They are both fuses for 12V sockets.

1661282924871.jpeg

Your "old" map continues to work just fine, it just may be outdated ... i.e. new/changing streets, speed limits etc. You have 3 updates in 3 years included with your new car purchase. You can purchase additional updates if you wish.
What if I purchased the car used? Bought it in 2018, car is 2017.

I have a VIOFO HK3 hardwire adapter and it’s quite smart. It taps to two fuses: one that’s always on and another that’s connected to the ignition. Camera automatically switches between modes when I turn on/off the car.

This isn’t my picture but I tapped to the same fuses. Top right is ACC and the one on the left is always on. They are both fuses for 12V sockets.

View attachment 312524
I got the HK3 hardwire kit too.
Have you have experience any battery drainage?

Mine just says 3 years, doesn’t say that its actually 3 updates. I had to update my card after I got my card because it had an older map installed -- so I hope they won't refuse an update during my third year.

@DFZ24 No battery drainage so far.

Last edited:
What if I purchased the car used? Bought it in 2018, car is 2017.
The updates are tied to the car (VIN) so it doesn't really matter if you bought it used or not (afaik). In your case, it's more than 3 years old so you'd have to buy fresh updates either way if you want them.

The updates are tied to the car (VIN) so it doesn't really matter if you bought it used or not (afaik). In your case, it's more than 3 years old so you'd have to buy fresh updates either way if you want them.
Damn. Thank you for the info.

Got the tints redone -- again. This time it was because of some bubbles that appeared on two front windows. This time they removed the door panel trim. I was told by the tint shop owner that they prefer not to remove the trims but they do it for customers that are "really visual" -- I assume that's code for a-holes (that make sure they get their money's worth?).

Received a bunch of calls from the dealership today. Tomorrow I am dropping the car off for the transmission replacement, so the first call was to confirm the appointment. The second call was about the bumper replacement. They booked me for September 6th but they also said that they will need to replace the muffler because "it looks broken." Unsure if they inspected it when I initially dropped the car off for transmission issues. Anyways, they are going to replace the muffler tomorrow as well.
Although I have had quite an unlucky streak in the last month (with the accident and the transmission), I guess I am lucky when it comes to replacement parts. I obviously asked if they can replace the bumper tomorrow as well, but that was a firm no. I asked if they can replace the transmission alongside the bumper on Sep 6th, that was also a no.

I don't like flooding, but this deserves its own post.
Dropped the car in the morning for the transmission replacement (and the muffler replacement), it was mostly hassle-free. They dropped me home, then I didn't get any calls from them until 4:30 pm. I was supposed to get back the car today. Anyway, I called them. At first, the receptionist transferred me to the body shop who didn't pick up. After a bunch of calls and talking to the receptionists and service clerks I finally managed to talk to the same service advisor that told me initially that the transmission needed to be replaced. He was not there when I dropped off the car.
Here is a quick summary of what I am told by different people
  • The transmission is replaced, we're waiting on the muffler replacement (that the dealer strongly suggested we do now instead of when we replace the bumper. Less work for them I'm sure, but I get a rental for sure for the bumper replacement.)
  • All repairs are done, but we need to do more testing. (This was a service clerk, I think she was trying to make an excuse)
  • The transmission is replaced, unsure about the muffler, they needed to fix a "major" coolant leak that they noticed as they removed the transmission. This was the service advisor, when I challenged him about the fact that I have two "major" issues on a 6-month-old car, he quickly changed it to "oh it's a minor leak, but as we took down the transmission we might just as well replace it" He also claims to have sent someone to a remote dealership to source the part instead of ordering it from the States.
  • The service advisor also said that if he were there, he would tell me that there is no way the repairs would be done in one day even without the coolant leak. And that he would find me a rental for sure.
  • Body shop went to voicemail (obviously they would make me wait until tomorrow morning) and the receptionist didn't really want to help. When I called the second time I'm sure she asked a colleague to talk to me. (I clearly wasn't rude to her but I think she only worked until 5pm and didn't want to deal with me)
The service advisor is going to call me first thing tomorrow morning (he is genuinely helpful so I am sure he will) to find me a rental car. If not they will have to drive me to work.

Don't get me wrong, I am not frustrated about the repairs taking long. I'd rather they take their time. I am frustrated about the lack of communication -- if I can't have my car back by the end of the day, let me know in advance so I can plan accordingly.

The service advisor said he knew it wasn't going to be a one-day job. Although I can't fully blame him as he was not there in the morning (I looked for him, that's how I know), he was the one who initially told me that this was a one-day job. Again to be fair this was before the body shop wanted to replace the muffler, but then the body shop should have let me know; because again I don't benefit anything from them replacing the muffler today. I feel like they wanted to save some time by doing two mechanical repairs together, but it didn't really work out.
I am not sure if there is a coolant leak, I'll check the repair bill when I get the car back. I feel like this was an excuse for keeping the car for longer than what they told me. It's not a great excuse because it obviously raises the question of how there can be a major coolant leak at 6 months and 12000 kilometers. And if there is a major coolant leak how come my engine temps have been normal since day 1? The "major" leak suddenly became a "really minor" leak that they might just as well fix as the transmission is down.
I do believe they have more testing to do as the car hasn't moved since 8:30 AM.
I have no clue if they replaced the muffler yet.

Anyways, the lack of communication is frustrating. The fact that I don't have a car right now is frustrating (and I need to drive to work tomorrow). The fact that I am being bombarded with classic repair shop excuses is frustrating. Although I am 24 and this is my first car, I learned a lot from my dad about the art of getting your car serviced.
And lastly, the fact that it's literally a 6-month-old car is frustrating. I could have bought a 2016 CX-5 and I doubt I would have to get the transmission replaced within 6 months.

(You need to be nice to people in general, but) Obviously, if you want to get things done, you need to be nice to the people you deal with (otherwise you're going to get the short end of the stick and they are not going to bend the rules a little bit in your favour -- and you'll be even more frustrated) but there is a fine line between being nice and being taken advantage of (my age is a factor in this too I think). They clearly expected me to say nothing about this and they didn't have a plan when I challenged them.

Anyways, although I like my CX-5 a lot it's coming to the point where I regret a little bit not getting a RAV4 in the first place just because of reliability. Apparently the more you dig in my CX-5, the more problems you notice. I have a long road trip planned up and I am thinking about canceling it at this point.
My parents have been driving Toyotas exclusively for the last 25 years or so and we have never had a moderate issue - let alone a transmission replacement.

Update Aug 25th: They replaced the transmission but the issue is still there. I literally replicated the issue on the first try.

Last edited:
Dropped the car in the morning for the transmission replacement (and the muffler replacement), it was mostly hassle-free. They dropped me home, then I didn't get any calls from them until 4:30 pm. I was supposed to get back the car today. Anyway, I called them. At first, the receptionist transferred me to the body shop who didn't pick up. After a bunch of calls and talking to the receptionists and service clerks I finally managed to talk to the same service advisor that told me initially that the transmission needed to be replaced. He was not there when I dropped off the car.
  • The transmission is replaced, we're waiting on the muffler replacement (that the dealer strongly suggested we do now instead of when we replace the bumper. Less work for them I'm sure, but I get a rental for sure for the bumper replacement.)
  • All repairs are done, but we need to do more testing. (This was a service clerk, I think she was trying to make an excuse)
  • The transmission is replaced, unsure about the muffler, they needed to fix a "major" coolant leak that they noticed as they removed the transmission. This was the service advisor, when I challenged him about the fact that I have two "major" issues on a 6-month-old car, he quickly changed it to "oh it's a minor leak, but as we took down the transmission we might just as well replace it" He also claims to have sent someone to a remote dealership to source the part instead of ordering it from the States.
  • The service advisor also said that if he were there, he would tell me that there is no way the repairs would be done in one day even without the coolant leak. And that he would find me a rental for sure.
  • Body shop went to voicemail (obviously they would make me wait until tomorrow morning) and the receptionist didn't really want to help. When I called the second time I'm sure she asked a colleague to talk to me. (I clearly wasn't rude to her but I think she only worked until 5pm and didn't want to deal with me)
The service advisor is going to call me first thing tomorrow morning (he is genuinely helpful so I am sure he will) to find me a rental car. If not they will have to drive me to work.

Don't get me wrong, I am not frustrated about the repairs taking long. I'd rather they take their time. I am frustrated about the lack of communication -- if I can't have my car back by the end of the day, let me know in advance so I can plan accordingly.

The service advisor said he knew it wasn't going to be a one-day job. Although I can't fully blame him as he was not there in the morning (I looked for him, that's how I know), he was the one who initially told me that this was a one-day job. Again to be fair this was before the body shop wanted to replace the muffler, but then the body shop should have let me know; because again I don't benefit anything from them replacing the muffler today. I feel like they wanted to save some time by doing two mechanical repairs together, but it didn't really work out.
I am not sure if there is a coolant leak, I'll check the repair bill when I get the car back. I feel like this was an excuse for keeping the car for longer than what they told me. It's not a great excuse because it obviously raises the question of how there can be a major coolant leak at 6 months and 12000 kilometers. And if there is a major coolant leak how come my engine temps have been normal since day 1? The "major" leak suddenly became a "really minor" leak that they might just as well fix as the transmission is down.
I do believe they have more testing to do as the car hasn't moved since 8:30 AM.

Anyways, the lack of communication is frustrating. The fact that I don't have a car right now is frustrating (and I need to drive to work tomorrow). The fact that I am being bombarded with classic repair shop excuses is frustrating. Although I am 24 and this is my first car, I learned a lot from my dad about the art of getting your car serviced.
And lastly, the fact that it's literally a 6-month-old car is frustrating. I could have bought a 2016 CX-5 and I doubt I would have to get the transmission replaced within 6 months.

(You need to be nice to people in general, but) Obviously, if you want to get things done, you need to be nice to the people you deal with (otherwise you're going to get the short end of the stick and they are not going to bend the rules a little bit in your favour -- and you'll be even more frustrated) but there is a fine line between being nice and being taken advantage of (my age is a factor in this too I think). They clearly expected me to say nothing about this and they didn't have a plan when I challenged them.

Anyways, although I like my CX-5 a lot it's coming to the point where I regret a little bit not getting a RAV4 in the first place just because of reliability. Apparently the more you dig in my CX-5, the more problems you notice. I have a long road trip planned up and I am thinking about canceling it at this point.
My parents have been driving Toyotas exclusively for the last 25 years or so and we have never had a moderate issue - let alone a transmission replacement.
TL;DR. Sorry to hear of your troubles, but not quite at length.

@mrplt sorry to hear of your issues. Seems like your CX-5 is unlucky.. or maybe your dealership service desk means well, but isn't great at resolving issues/communicating. I'd be super frustrated at this point as well. I do have to say though, for a younger gentleman, you're handling the situation quite well by remaining polite but firm in your interactions with the dealership.

Update Aug 25th: They replaced the transmission but the issue is still there. I literally replicated the issue on the first try.
Yep. Never had a problem with my toyotas or fords.

Since they've told you there is a coolant leak, you should be worried about the engine. If they tell you everything is fine and dont replace the cylinder head, then you need to be DIY changing your oil and getting it tested through blackstone to make sure no serious engine problems. Test it every 6 to 12 months.

And dont forget your lemon laws. Read up on your states lemon law and make sure you keep taking it in to get fixed asap.

All these added things after the dealer supposedly inspected it? They obviously gave the car a quick glance minus the transmission. Going out on a limb and say coolant leak was an excuse to keep the car another day but who knows, there are a lot of incompetent service departments out there.

Mrplt:

You shouldn't be having the exact same issues with a brand new tranny.

Either
1.) They didnt replace it and snowed you.
2.) The accident damaged your motor or tranny mounts or possible the differential.
I think there was a TSB on the older CX5 motor mounts.
3.)your TCM and PCM need updated.
4.) Your parking on hills. Always put into park and keep the brake pedal depressed and apply park brake before releasing brake pedal. You would be suprised how many people dont do this.
5.) User error: your not fully depressing the brake pedal.
6.) Something else is wrong.

My suggestions.
Take it to AAMCO.
Pay for an AAMCO inspection.
Fyi: I paid AAMCO to inspect my Toyota after the the dealer didnt install the axle gaskets correctly and all the fluid leaked out 5 minutes after leaving the dealership. They (AAMCO) thoroughly diagnose/test every aspect. It's worth it.
Tell them it's supposedly a new tranny. They will inspect more than the tranny to include mounts, linkage, wiring, differential, axles, cv joints, solenloids and sensors, etc.

Maybe you can even get the dealership or mazda to pay for the AAMCO diagnosis.
Regardless, if it was my car, I would pay for it if they won't.

Imo, the mounts were either defective or got damaged during the accident. Or the differential may have been damaged. It's more likely the diff(pumpkin) took brunt of rearend impact than the tranny.

Hopefully you dont end up in a 4-sided mexican standoff between the insurance company, Mazda, and dealership as to whos at fault and whos paying.

Last edited:

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in this dealer, does it?

Good luck.

Back