What's the tire consensus?

Starting to shop tires for my 2019 reserve. My first thought was to upsize the tires to a 235/55/19 or larger that will fit the stock wheel. After thinking about it I was concerned that the additional weight of a larger tire on stock rim might not be the best choice for economy and performance? I think I would only upsize the tires if I also changed to a lighter rim.

If you want to go wider without adding weight why don't you look at dropping to 18 inch aftermarket wheels that weight less and getting a 235 or 245 width tire? Use the tire calculators to see what 18" wheels would be comparable in height diameter with your 235 or 245 width.

Went to 16" for a smoother ride but also dropped about 60 lbs by dropping to a 16" tire.

If you want to go wider without adding weight why don't you look at dropping to 18 inch aftermarket wheels that weight less and getting a 235 or 245 width tire? Use the tire calculators to see what 18" wheels would be comparable in height diameter with your 235 or 245 width.

Went to 16" for a smoother ride but also dropped about 60 lbs by dropping to a 16" tire.
Wow, I guess 60 lbs was a big effect? I had Enkei’s on my last Mazda and I think they weighed 18 lbs plus tire.

Attachments

• 7014F874-18CF-4D59-9660-C678F658B056.jpeg
    7014F874-18CF-4D59-9660-C678F658B056.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 100
Wow, I guess 60 lbs was a big effect? I had Enkei’s on my last Mazda and I think they weighed 18 lbs plus tire.
Yes. The stock 19" rim weighs roughly 30 lbs..the stock Toyo tires were another 29-30 lbs. each for 60 lb per corner.

My 16 inch rims only weigh 18 lbs. with a 29 lb All-terrain tire for 47 lb. per corner.

Total weight drop of approx. 52 lbs. more or less.

Acceleration improved.
It actually now feels as though the car is in sport mode during normal mode driving without putting it into sport mode.

Last edited:
My cars only get Michelin. And I get them from a Club Store (Sam's, Costco, BJ's, etc) so the price is pretty much the same as lesser tires from a "normal" tire store.
I have not found that to be true, but maybe depends on area.

I have been very pleased with my General Altimax RT43's (I run 17's). That said, I like the feel of Michelins better, but couldn't justify the hundreds more they were going to cost.

My experience with Michlin tires is that in high UV arears like FL. that the tires weather check much faster than most. I think that is the reason that Michelin suggest changing them out after 6 or 7 years. Good tires other than that so I will stick with General Altimax 43's. Just my observations. Ed

My experience with Michlin tires is that in high UV arears like FL. that the tires weather check much faster than most. I think that is the reason that Michelin suggest changing them out after 6 or 7 years. Good tires other than that so I will stick with General Altimax 43's. Just my observations. Ed
Interesting…but certainly not my experience. I’m in central Florida and have never had any problems with any of the Michelin tires I’ve run for 25+ years. This includes tires on vehicles that stay outside all year as well as the garaged ones.

I’ve put Michelins on every car we have/had…with one exception (Jeep Wrangler…because the wife wanted the OEM Goodyears). FWIW…I have seen tires check/crack that have had petroleum based products routinely put on them. IMO…you can buy cheaper, but not better. YMMV…

Yes. The stock 19" rim weighs roughly 30 lbs..the stock Toyo tires were another 29-30 lbs. each for 60 lb per corner.

My 16 inch rims only weigh 18 lbs. with a 29 lb All-terrain tire for 47 lb. per corner.

Total weight drop of approx. 52 lbs. more or less.

Acceleration improved.
It actually now feels as though the car is in sport mode during normal mode driving without putting it into sport mode.

I read somewhere that someone weighed their 19" stock rims and they came in just under 32lbs. The Toyos, from TireRack's site, weigh in at 29lbs so you might have saved just a bit more even than that!

Will be needing tires on our 19 Signature soon - what's the current word on replacement brands/models? Will be checking out Tire Rack reviews but figured I'd ask here. Have oem Toyos and won't go with them again. Kinda partial to General Altimax from past cars. Thanks

As others have mentioned, it kind of depends. :)

How important is:
1) Price
2) Wet weather traction
3) Dry weather traction
4) Snow/ice traction
5) Ride comfort
6) Noise level
7) Tire wear
8) Etc.

Assuming you want to keep the same size (225/55R19)...

If you want UHP or Max performance summer, then you cannot go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Great price on those too the last time I looked. I've run them on a 370z and they performed very well. Don't last that long though.

Going to the other extreme, if you are more interested in an all season tire that sees a lot of snow, then folks seem to like the Michelin Crossclimate2.

Going in between for UHP that doesn't see much snow, but is just fine with a little, the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season is hard to beat.

If you are just looking for a touring tire and want to save a bit of money, there is a Pirelli Scorpion that people seem to like.

Again, that's all if you stay at the stock tire size.

I too have been looking to replace my OEM Toyo's. I have reviewed the Consumer Survey Stats on Tire Rack for the Michelin CC2, Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 and the Continental LX25's, in 225/55/19. Now, I run separate winters, so the Winter/Snow advantage of the CC2's doesn't matter to me. I have never had a hydroplaning issue with any tires that I've used in the past so the minor advantage the CC2's have over the Scorpion and LX25's is negligible(9.4 vs 9.2). So it now comes down to 2 more important tire categories for me....Comfort and Treadwear where the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's have higher values over the CC2's and the LX25's. So, for me, it looks like the Pirelli's win out by a nose.

i went bold to try the Michelin CrossClimate2 - wild tread pattern but I have zero complaints with the 4000 miles on since January. Not sure they show off any additional value over the more affordable General Altimax RT43 I have on the old CX7, but either one blows the factory tires out of the water in every aspect.

I bought a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 Plus tires in 235/55 R19 size last week for my 2019 GT-Reserve. I have about 400 miles on them now.

My very first impressions were that they had a harsher ride than the OEM Toyo A36 tires. I had told the installer at the tire shop to torque the wheel bolts to 80 ft/lbs and inflate the tires to 35 PSI.
The outside temperature was over 90 degrees that day and I had to make a 30 mile drive back up the mountains to my home.

I checked the tire pressure cold the next day. All four tires read 38 PSI. Grrrrrrr.........
Which means they were probably around 42 PSI while I was driving home. Anyway I bled them back down to where they should be.

Yesterday I made a 300 mile round trip freeway road trip. The tires were much less harsh, they felt about the same as the Toyos. Road noise was also pretty quiet except on some sections of freeway that were grooved and then there was noticeable noise.

I didn't push the car hard in the corners going back up the mountain as I know that the tires need to be broken in and the mold release from manufacturing can make them a bit slippery for the first few hundred miles. But they did grip well at a pretty brisk pace.

How well they will do in light snow remains to be seen. The Toyo's were pathetic. We only get snow a half dozen times a year but the Toyo's felt dangerous even with only about 4" of snow on the road.

Hopefully I'll get better wear with the Conti's. The alignment of the front tires was off so I had that done when I had them installed.

Installed the New Bridgestone Weatherpeak Tires about a month ago! Very happy so far. Much quieter and smoother than the OEM Toyos. Got them for $150 off at Costco. 70,000-mile warrantee. 3 peak mountain snowflake certified so can handle snow and wet weather better than All Season tires, supposedly. They seem to handle very well and rain is no issue. But the best feature is how quiet they are for me!

I think you're right about how they handle the wet weather. For years I've had Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 and beside the snow these tires were just awesome in heavy rain weather.

True but aside from the steep price, you rarely hear anyone including myself say anything negative concerning Michelin products.
I used to get only Michelin’s too, no longer. My experience with Michelin tires is mixed. I had blow-out 3 times on my 1987 VW Vanagon GL Syncro while driving on the highway with new Michelin’s. The Michelin’s on my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX had developed dry-rot on the side wall after only 4 years of service. Since the Michelin usually is the most expensive tire available on the market, and tires are getting much more expensive, I’m now going to spend my money wisely on tires. Check the specs, read the reviews. And what I’ve found recently that with the tire technology keeps improving, most new tires offer at least 51 psi maximum inflation pressure but most Michelin tires still offer only 44 psi on maximum inflation pressure which I definitely won’t consider such tires nowadays.

I used to get only Michelin’s too, no longer. My experience with Michelin tires is mixed. I had blow-out 3 times on my 1987 VW Vanagon GL Syncro while driving on the highway with new Michelin’s. The Michelin’s on my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX had developed dry-rot on the side wall after only 4 years of service. Since the Michelin usually is the most expensive tire available on the market, and tires are getting much more expensive, I’m now going to spend my money wisely on tires. Check the specs, read the reviews. And what I’ve found recently that with the tire technology keeps improving, most new tires offer at least 51 psi maximum inflation pressure but most Michelin tires still offer only 44 psi on maximum inflation pressure which I definitely won’t consider such tires nowadays.
I've run Michelin snows and never had problems but I do prefer Nokian's snow better. Maybe the blowouts you had were an unfortunate manufacturing defect in that years production run.

I don't buy Michelin's anymore due to the pricetag as well plus I usually run my preferred Firestone all terrains.

If you're looking for a good all terrain, the Firestone destination AT2 have performed even better than the original AT. Low noise/quiet at highway cruise speeds(55 mph to 70 mph). Grip well during emergency manuever's on roadway, shoulder/gravel and muddy ditch. Very good on dirt/gravel trails and off-road. Also perform well on wet roads/heavy rain.

And they provide a more comfortable ride( but I did switch to higher sidewalls as well)

Haven't been in deep mud, snow/ice yet but expect equally good results.

At least new these tires function really well. Will post more every 10,000 miles on noise level as the tires wear in.

If you're looking for a good all terrain, the Firestone destination AT2 have performed even better than the original AT.

Last winter, I saw a couple of vehicles with those tires. Plowed through snow and icy/slushy conditions without batting an eye. Certainly wouldn't be as grippy as the outright snow+ice stuff from Nokian or Blizzak or ... but from what I saw they performed quite well in the wintry stuff.

Am using the Nokian WR G4 SUV, on my own 2016 CX-5. A half step down in outright snow+ice grip as compared to the Nokian Hakkas, but they're pretty darned good. This upcoming winter will be my third on them. With a 60Kmi tread wear "warranty" on them, and the year-'round compound, they've turned out to be a good all-year tire for me.

Last winter, I saw a couple of vehicles with those tires. Plowed through snow and icy/slushy conditions without batting an eye. Certainly wouldn't be as grippy as the outright snow+ice stuff from Nokian or Blizzak or ... but from what I saw they performed quite well in the wintry stuff.

Am using the Nokian WR G4 SUV, on my own 2016 CX-5. A half step down in outright snow+ice grip as compared to the Nokian Hakkas, but they're pretty darned good. This upcoming winter will be my third on them. With a 60Kmi tread wear "warranty" on them, and the year-'round compound, they've turned out to be a good all-year tire for me.
Almost got the nokian wrg4 but needed all terrains. Have used the nokian hakks for years. No other winter tread has the nokian feel. Prefer them over bridge blizzaks and mich ice.
Just more solid on ice.
Once someone's driven all 3, then they understand.

Back