CX-5 Turbo models have bigger brakes

Honestly I believe the overall diameter is very important even on the FWD. When I mounted factory T165/90R17

And that's the reason I ditched the factory spare and sourced a 17" wheel and tire combo that has the same diameter as the road tires.

Long side story: After I got the 17" wheel I put the factory spare on Craigslist. I included a picture, said what it came from, and said the wheel was a 5x114.3 lug pattern. Some guy called and said he'd take it for my $50 asking price. Great, gave him my address and waited outside for him to show up. Pretty soon, here he comes down the street, driving faster than what is considered ok for a neighborhood with kids. Now most people park on the street and walk up the drive, but not this guy, he blows up the driveway and stops close enough that I took a step back in self preservation. He's driving a Mercedes. Middle-aged overweight guy gets out, rambling about being late for a golf game and says he's in a hurry. I ask him what kind of car he's buying the spare for and he points at the Mercedes. Says he "lost the spare that came with the car." My head is spinning. First of all, how do you lose a spare, and second, this one won't fit. I tell him it has the wrong lug pattern for a Mercedes but he won't listen. Says it's a 5 lug wheel so it'll fit. I tell him again it isn't right for his car and he responds with "You don't even know what you're selling." He hands me a $50 and says "Just put it in the trunk." Not "would you" or "could you", this jerk is ordering me around at my own house! Fine, some people gotta learn the hard way so I toss in the spare and off he goes.

He calls the next day and says the wheel I sold him won't fit. I'm shocked, lol. He's not too upset though, because he "found" the factory spare he lost. I told him I had good news, that I hadn't gotten around to deleting the ad on Craigslist yet. At this point he's probably thinking I'll take the spare back and refund his money. I told him all he had to do was copy and paste my ad... and then replace my phone number with his.
Sounds like he started the 19th hole before the golf game.

I think the more important question is can this bigger brake set-up be fitted on our non turbo models?

I think the more important question is can this bigger brake set-up be fitted on our non turbo models?
More than likely yes...I am switching down to 16" rims and the stock non-turbo brakes appear they'll clear my 16".

As a general rule of thumb,
15" rims clear 11" rotors
16" rims clear 12" rotors
17" rims clear 13" rotors.

The stock non-turbo OEM rotors are approx. 297mm(11.97" or 12" rotors)

Corksport has two bbk kits.

It appears the 325 mm(12.8") bbk kit will clear my 17" BBS rims based on the template from their website. They noted in email that they wouldn't guarantee fit and I should check template.

However they also have a bigger 13" bbk kit with 330 mm(13") rotors which also has thicker rotors and bigger thicker calipers, etc.
This newer bigger kit is probably too large and may not fit 17" rims due to the larger calipers. You would need to download the template to check on your vehicle /rim and rim design.

Whether either bbk kit fits could depend on the size and type rim you have as well as the rim design and rim offset.

If you want to use CS new bigger/thicker kit you probably need your 18 or 19" wheels.

Otherwise , for the 17" rims, maybe use their 325 mm kit instead

Last edited:
Probably been asked before, will a full size fit in the spare tire area?
Yes, full size road tire will fit the spare tire well in diameter, but the trunk floor will be raised about 3 ~ 5” even if you removed the sponge spacers due to the much wider tire width. And a longer spare tire hold-down bolt will be needed if you have a Bose sub-woofer. There’s a longer yellow top tire hold-down bolt in the tool storage area to hold the full-size tire in place if you don’t have Bose sub-woofer.

Don’t expect a step change in brake performance if you change to these bigger calipers and discs. The main reason Mazda have made that change is to get a bigger surface area and improve pad life. To get more power you need to go up in diameter and that is restricted by the wheel. You’d have to look at the mean radius to know if there’s an increase in power (torque). The only place they can go is length and that presents a different problem because a single piston on a long pad tends to bend it from the middle so they move to twin pistons to even the pressure. You can guarantee there won’t be much difference in piston area or they’d need to mess with the master cylinder and the brake booster. It’s a long way of saying that if you trot off to the spares counter and spend a woeful amount of money on the bigger calipers, discs and pads you might be disappointed unless it’s long life pads you are after. Mazda have anticipated that brake temperature might lead to rapid wear.

Yes, if you have a 2.5T with bigger front brakes.

Even thought the T145/90D16 compact spare given by Mazda will fit all 4 corners on the 2.5L, but it has an outside diameter of 26.3", and the 225/55R19 road tires have an outside diameter of 28.7". It’ll trigger the TPMS warning light if we use it.

okay, so its just a TPMS warning light that goes on. You can still drive the car, correct?

okay, so its just a TPMS warning light that goes on. You can still drive the car, correct?
You can but as stated, it won’t fit on the front of the turbo model and even on the rear I would only treat it as a means to get me off the highway to the first exit then get the car to the very first tire shop and if that’s more than a mile or so, get the car recovered. Using that little doughnut is going to adversely effect the handling and load characteristics of the car. If you can get a spacesaver that is roughly the same diameter as the original you could go a little further but even then I’d be heading for the tire shop. The European models come with a tub of slime and a mini compressor and to be honest, the temporarily repaired original is a better bet than that shrunken spacesaver.

You can but as stated, it won’t fit on the front of the turbo model and even on the rear I would only treat it as a means to get me off the highway to the first exit then get the car to the very first tire shop and if that’s more than a mile or so, get the car recovered. Using that little doughnut is going to adversely effect the handling and load characteristics of the car. If you can get a spacesaver that is roughly the same diameter as the original you could go a little further but even then I’d be heading for the tire shop. The European models come with a tub of slime and a mini compressor and to be honest, the temporarily repaired original is a better bet than that shrunken spacesaver.
* For those interested, there are multiple threads by myself and others on upsizing to a 165 90r17 spare which will clear front brakes, is same diameter (thus not risk ruining AWD differential) and has a wider contact patch. Still only to be used sparingly at reasonable 50/55 mph speeds. Best option is a Mazda 165 90r17 that was kept in boot. Otherwise a Kia or Hyundai 17" suv spare that was under frame could be used.

Although not a 2.5 turbo, I was rotating tires on my 2.2 diesel (USA) and threw my spare on the front just for fun and it fit perfect with no issues. I was concerned with the lug nuts being deep enough to swallow as much thread as was showing with the spare but they did.

The diesel comes with a 17" spare.

Although not a 2.5 turbo, I was rotating tires on my 2.2 diesel (USA) and threw my spare on the front just for fun and it fit perfect with no issues. I was concerned with the lug nuts being deep enough to swallow as much thread as was showing with the spare but they did.

The diesel comes with a 17" spare.
Does your 2.2D have the bigger brakes with dual-piston calipers like the 2.5T?

Even if the 2.2D has bigger front brakes like the 2.5T, your 17” spare physically fit over the front brakes. The 2.5T gets 16” spare, T145/90D16, that’s why it doesn’t fit at front.

Strangely in 2020 CX-5 owner’s manual, it says 2.5T also gets 17” spare, T155/90D17 101M?

330F5B06-E440-49D3-8317-A314B52AB804.jpeg

Does your 2.2D have the bigger brakes with dual-piston calipers like the 2.5T?

Even if the 2.2D has bigger front brakes like the 2.5T, your 17” spare physically fit over the front brakes. The 2.5T gets 16” spare, T145/90D16, that’s why it doesn’t fit at front.

Strangely in 2020 CX-5 owner’s manual, it says 2.5T also gets 17” spare, T155/90D17 101M?

View attachment 305460
The best part is they recommend to use the 16 inch spare despite the huge diameter difference which will screw up your differential but also recommend against using the 17" inch which is the same diameter & the 17 inch should prevent any power train problems.

I was excited to get the larger brakes on my GTR but I am having symptoms of warpage (shudder) in this car I never had with my smaller braked '19 2.5. I figured the larger brakes would be more resistant to warpage.

yeah surprisingly Mazda saved some $ on the brakes too. The CX5 is not one of the best braking SUVs of that class and the CX5 is not a sports car after all. GT-R is marketing term :)

I was excited to get the larger brakes on my GTR but I am having symptoms of warpage (shudder) in this car I never had with my smaller braked '19 2.5. I figured the larger brakes would be more resistant to warpage.
The reasons for warping aren’t really connected to brake size, in fact that a small problem is amplified with diameter because the run out is amplified too. They’re easy to work on so new rotors are not a big job but if you’re light on the brakes, abrasive pads will do more to keep the rotors true. Brakes respond well to hard work.

Brake pulsing is also likely to be due to uneven pad deposits on the rotors due to ‘abnormal’ brake use like sitting a long time at a light with very hot brakes. This can cause the pads to stick to the rotors, leaving behind lumps of pad material. Before declaring surrender and replacing the brakes, try rebedding them first. Cheap and easy, it might solve the pulsing issue, it’s worked for me in the past.

Old thread revival.

My the factory spare on my 22 turbo was able to fit just fine over the larger brakes that come on the turbo model. I think they must have included a larger spare. Only had to drive 3 miles to the tire shop to get a new tire when it happened.

Back