SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

2021 CX-5 Signature (Turbo obviously). This was from my 1st oil change I did. Amsoil XL 5W-30 oil. Love how Amsoil performs with Mazda's turbocharged engines. My Mazdaspeed3 also runs Amsoil and it's been flawless.

Screenshot_20210728-163258_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

So your analysis was the factory oil, right? Not Amsoil?
No, I analyzed Amsoil XL 5W-30. I just drained and disposed of the factory fill and didn't sent it off. Being factory fill it's probably not going to test well, it will have extra metals and silcon from engine break in/assembly in it, besides I don't know what oil is factory fill (my guess was Japanese Idemitsu 5W-30, which isn't widely available in NA). My plan is to stick to XL for the life of my CX-5, or for however long I own it for, so I wanted to get a baseline for that oil. Hope that helps explain my method for anyone wondering.

Latest 2019 North American 2.2 diesel UOA. Doing service myself now so decided to try a few 5k mile intervals. Similar results. Highest fuel yet at 3.5%. Now using FORScan app so I'll be able to record exactly how many miles since last regen when I pull a sample to see how that correlates to fuel percentage.

35k mile UOA C5D_35k mile UOA.jpg

Not a good sign to me ⋯
With the variable of the regen cycle I'll need to record the relationship between regen and oil sample collection. The fuel dilution is all over the board from a trace to this 3.5%. With no other known problems or indicators, the fuel alone doesn't bother me too much yet. Something to keep an eye on though.

Mazda has both a visual mark on the dipstick (an "X" ) as well as an oil level sensor and ecu programming for oil dilution. I have always checked the dipstick regularly for any sign of oil level rising and it has so far been solid steady. I remember seeing a PID on FORScan for the oil dilution from the PCM. I'mma see if I can put that in my list of things recorded.

If you are willing to experiment, dont live in the polar north and can spare few more $$ for oil
Check out Motul 8100 5w30 for diesel engines.
I have had good results in Europe on many diesel cars with dpfs.

The most recent UoA from my 2018 CX-9 is attached. The sample was taken at 58500 km.

Potassium levels reported high again.

The lab I used had some logistics issues with receiving/locating my sample, so they didn't charge me for this UoA. Because this one was free, I'll do one more UoA at my next oil change, which will be with the Kirkland 5W-30 instead of the Castrol Edge 5W-30. If the potassium levels remain high, I'll begin actively pursuing a warranty claim for the engine with Mazda. Three independent UoAs with reports of high potassium should be enough to at least get them to take a deeper look at the issue.

Currently the car has 62k, and my next oil change will be at 65k, so I'll re-sample at that time.

Attachments

• 2018 Mazda CX-9 AWD_ENGINE (1).pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
The most recent UoA from my 2018 CX-9 is attached. The sample was taken at 58500 km.
Potassium levels reported high again.
It doesn’t look good to me. Honestly using different brand of oil shouldn’t affect anything of coolant content in your oil. But we’ll see.

It doesn’t look good to me. Honestly using different brand of oil shouldn’t affect anything of coolant content in your oil. But we’ll see.

No, I wouldn't expect it to. I wasn't even considering that when I changed to a different brand, I just wanted to save a few bucks, lol. But it does help to eliminate a possible variable when trying to determine the cause.

No, I wouldn't expect it to. I wasn't even considering that when I changed to a different brand, I just wanted to save a few bucks, lol. But it does help to eliminate a possible variable when trying to determine the cause.
Yeah the Costco’s Kirkland GF-6 oil is indeed cheap. I’m temping to try it which would against my habit of using name brand oil.

May be you should try BlackStone next time for UOA?

Yeah the Costco’s Kirkland GF-6 oil is indeed cheap. I’m temping to try it which would against my habit of using name brand oil.

May be you should try BlackStone next time for UOA?

I would, but the benefit of using my current lab (AGAT Labs in Calgary) is that shipping the sample is free, and its also convenient since the dropoff depot is close to work. I've also read that Blackstone doesn't test for oil dilution unless you either ask for it specifically, or one of the other readings suggests that it may be an issue. I think it was @crimeariver that mentioned that?

Maybe I'll use the lab I used for my first UoA, Bureau Veritas in Edmonton.

Sm1ke, why are you saying potassium is higher this time ? I am reading this a 122UC for the previous test and 83UC for this test. Am i interpreting the report wrong?

Sm1ke, why are you saying potassium is higher this time ? I am reading this a 122UC for the previous test and 83UC for this test. Am i interpreting the report wrong?

Well, that's embarrassing 😅

Yup, turns out I was reading it wrong. Potassium isn't actually higher, haha. Oops!

Well, that's embarrassing 😅

Yup, turns out I was reading it wrong. Potassium isn't actually higher, haha. Oops!
I thought 83 UC on Potassium level from the latest UOA has less miles on oil life (5,500km / 3,418 miles). The oil on previous UOA has more miles (?km) on oil life, hence higher Potassium level at 122 UC.

Sounds like it, which may indicate that if it is a leak, it would be constant, not better and not worse.

I thought 83 UC on Potassium level from the latest UOA has less miles on oil life (5,500km / 3,418 miles). The oil on previous UOA has more miles (?km) on oil life, hence higher Potassium level at 122 UC.

Sounds like it, which may indicate that if it is a leak, it would be constant, not better and not worse.

Yes you're both right, I was reading the chart wrong. It's better news than I thought, but still bad because there is still a high potassium reading.

In any event, for my next UoA I'll submit it to the first lab I used, Bureau Veritas in Edmonton. They did my very first UoA and there was no reported issue with potassium on that one. If the potassium reading is high with the different lab, that would eliminate the new lab and possibly their procedures as a potential excuse from Mazda when I make my claim.

As it stands right now, the engine is still running great. So if the engine is to be replaced in the future, I'm going to try and prolong the replacement as much as I can in order to make the most of this situation. My powertrain warranty runs through to the end of 2022, so we'll see.

Went back and looked at my reports' potassium levels out of curiosity. 2 times ago it showed 2, and this last time 0! Phew! Currently at 120,000 miles on our CX-5, probably will be needing an oil change again soon.

Back