SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

It's completely normal for oil to have a lower viscosity at the time it's changed. As long as it's in the allowable range, it's not an issue

Latest 2019 2.2 diesel (USA) UOA report from 40k mile service. Mazda 0w30 oil again and I am doing three 5k mi intervals. This fill was Mobil1 0w30 ESP so we'll see how that compares to the Mazda branded oil on the next report.

2019 C5D 40k service.jpg

Attachments

• 2019 C5D 40k service.pdf
    356.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
The ESP line is very good. Generally very shear stable and they use a touch of POE in the blend, which lately has been a combination of GTL/PAO. Very good oils.

Latest 2019 2.2 diesel (USA) UOA report from 40k mile service. Mazda 0w30 oil again and I am doing three 5k mi intervals. This fill was Mobil1 0w30 ESP so we'll see how that compares to the Mazda branded oil on the next report.

View attachment 305542
Interesting that the 7500 mile oil changes are mostly within and close to averages and only slightly worse than the 5000 mile changes. Not showing too much benefit to changing oil earlier than needed. Were all past changes with Mazda oil?

I believe it took about 18 days and I took the BLACKSTONE container to the post office and handed it to them. I do that way just to make sure it doesn't get hung up, if someone doesn't know how to handle it.
man you really need to remove that attachment and black out your personal info.

Took a long time to get my last report. Blackstone website says there have been reports of issues with the handling of the sample kits (black bottle with mailing label on the outside).

I just got some more sample kits in the mail last week, which came with the black bottles with no label on the outside, and separate mailer envelopes with the label. Apparently doing it that way with the envelope results in much faster postal handling.

The ESP line is very good. Generally very shear stable and they use a touch of POE in the blend, which lately has been a combination of GTL/PAO. Very good oils.
Idunno what all those letters mean but it sounds good at least :) I'll take your word for it 👍

Interesting that the 7500 mile oil changes are mostly within and close to averages and only slightly worse than the 5000 mile changes. Not showing too much benefit to changing oil earlier than needed. Were all past changes with Mazda oil?
Yes, from New 0 miles to a couple weeks ago 40k mi service has been Mazda branded 0w30 diesel oil.

The blackstone report shows averages for both my specific vehicle and (column on the right) "universal averages". I wanted to try a few 5k mi intervals mainly to see if there was any change in the viscosity, insolubles and fuel dilution between the 5k and 7.5k runs.

I don't see enough benefit from the two 5k interval changes at this point to justify sticking with that.

Finally got my blackstone report. Will get it posted here today.

For a 6900 mile oil change, Report says everything is fine except the viscosity is slightly high. Also the dealer supposedly had used Mazda oil(per the invoice) in prepping the vehicle for cpo sale.

But the report only had 59 moly in it..so wondering what they really put in my engine...couldn't have been Mazda oil. Reports on here of Mazda moly oil show 200 to 500 moly in the crankcase. So they had to have used some cheap barrel oil but invoiced it as expensive Mazda oil.
Is 59 moly enough for these engines?

Between the high viscosity and low moly, am wondering what they put in there.

Also, has anyone tested the tester or had a bad report?

Was thinking of throwing a curve-ball and sending in a sample from an old 200k car(but only putting the oil mileage and leaving the car mileage blank), listing the oil as a different brand/type and seeing what the results come back as.

Hate to waste $30 on a beater though. The old frames rusted and it's heading for the salvage yard even though the engine runs fine.

Last edited:
⋯ But the report only had 59 moly in it..so wondering what they really put in my engine...couldn't have been Mazda oil. Reports on here of Mazda moly oil show 200 to 500 moly in the crankcase. So they had to have used some cheap barrel oil but invoiced it as expensive Mazda oil.
Is 59 moly enough for these engines?
Yes, if the Mazda dealer used Mazda 0W-20 moly oil, the molybdenum content should be 600+. The UOA on factory-fill from the 2.5L also shows 600+ on molybdenum.

On the other hand, after the engine break-in, I believe the high molybdenum content is not necessary for any types of engine. So no, 59 on molybdenum content is definitely fine for these SkyActiv-G engines.

Here's the report showing the low Moly / high viscosity so the dealer definitely didn't use Mazda oil despite that showing on the invoice. Who knows what they put in there ? and they wonder why some people won't go back to the dealer for service? The Blackstone report identifies the oil as Mazda oil only because I provided that information as per the dealer invoicing.

blackstone oil test 1.png

Yes, if the Mazda dealer used Mazda 0W-20 moly oil, the molybdenum content should be 600+. The UOA on factory-fill from the 2.5L also shows 600+ on molybdenum.

On the other hand, after the engine break-in, I believe the high molybdenum content is not necessary for any types of engine. So no, 59 on molybdenum content is definitely fine for these SkyActiv-G engines.
Thanks Yrwei. I used castrol edge this time so it will be interesting to see how much moly is in the castrol.

Thanks Yrwei. I used castrol edge this time so it will be interesting to see how much moly is in the castrol.
For most 0W-20 UOAs I’ve seen, other name brand oils usually have much less molybdenum content. Castrol Edge has 60 ~ 90; Mobil 1 EP has 50 ~ 60; Valvoline SynPower has only single digit.

could have sworn I posted my latest the other day but I guess I didn't. This is from the oil that was in the engine during all my valve cover, oil seals and OCV replacement work a few months ago. I did not keep good records of how much oil was added during the previous OCI's, which is why this time it looks like I added more. I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary.
Screenshot 2021-12-15 124721.jpg

could have sworn I posted my latest the other day but I guess I didn't. This is from the oil that was in the engine during all my valve cover, oil seals and OCV replacement work a few months ago. I did not keep good records of how much oil was added during the previous OCI's, which is why this time it looks like I added more. I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary.View attachment 305631
675, ha, Mazda Moly 0W-20!

could have sworn I posted my latest the other day but I guess I didn't. This is from the oil that was in the engine during all my valve cover, oil seals and OCV replacement work a few months ago. I did not keep good records of how much oil was added during the previous OCI's, which is why this time it looks like I added more. I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary.View attachment 305631
This isn't related to the hairline crack in the head that I've been reading about? Maybe it's showing up now after warranty period and a ton of miles?
May do next oil change with the Mazda moly oil since my thins it out and would get through any crack easier hopefully making diagnose possible.

This isn't related to the hairline crack in the head that I've been reading about? Maybe it's showing up now after warranty period and a ton of miles?
May do next oil change with the Mazda moly oil since my thins it out and would get through any crack easier hopefully making diagnose possible.
No, we haven’t heard anything major on cylinder head from the 2.5L NA as PatrickGSR94 has a 2014 CX-5. 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation was introduced since MY 2018 CX-5, and 2.5T was introduced since 2019 CX-5. Both cylinder heads are re-designed based on the original 2.5L NA without CD, and are different from the one on the 2.5L NA without CD. Using the moly oil won’t help anything to prevent cylinder head crack. It’s a design issue.

Oil leak on valve cover gasket、oil control valve and its seal happened on PatrickGSR94’s 2.5L is a very common problem on all SkyActiv-G engines with higher mileage.

first I've heard about Skyactiv cylinder heads cracking. What are the symptoms when that happens?

Notice on my report that there is barely a trace or even zero for the fuel, water and coolant readings in the oil. So I'm confident my car's engine is still in good shape.

Latest posts

Back