Replacing CX5 OEM battery with a Group 35 AGM equivalent

hmw

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD / Tech & iActiveSense
My CX5 2016 battery is looking like it's giving up the ghost. It just wouldn't start today, and it's done this six months previously. Last time it happened it was after the car hadn't been used for four weeks, I then charged it with a battery tender and it ran fine - till now

Recently the parking brake wouldn't dis-engage from a cold start and I suspect it was the battery more than anything - especially since now the car gets driven just once a week - and that too to the nearest grocery store which is like 10 mins away.

Charging with a battery tender now, but would like to just drop in a new battery. After all, it's been almost six years :)

I checked WheelWorks and the replacement for a 2016 CX5 Group 35 battery is quoted at $199 with $15 for install (yay to Bay Area prices)

bat.png

Has anyone used Interstate AGM batteries with the CX-5? Is there a need to adjust the charging rate for the battery? Or is this AGM battery a true change-and-forget replacement? I read some internet forum posts on how alternators will kill AGM batteries unless the charge rate is set specifically for that battery

Anyone with experience of AGM batteries in the CX-5 in general?

My CX5 2016 battery is looking like it's giving up the ghost. It just wouldn't start today, and it's done this six months previously. Last time it happened it was after the car hadn't been used for four weeks, I then charged it with a battery tender and it ran fine - till now

Recently the parking brake wouldn't dis-engage from a cold start and I suspect it was the battery more than anything - especially since now the car gets driven just once a week - and that too to the nearest grocery store which is like 10 mins away.

Charging with a battery tender now, but would like to just drop in a new battery. After all, it's been almost six years :)

I checked WheelWorks and the replacement for a 2016 CX5 Group 35 battery is quoted at $199 with $15 for install (yay to Bay Area prices)

View attachment 233479

Has anyone used Interstate AGM batteries with the CX-5? Is there a need to adjust the charging rate for the battery? Or is this AGM battery a true change-and-forget replacement? I read some internet forum posts on how alternators will kill AGM batteries unless the charge rate is set specifically for that battery

Anyone with experience of AGM batteries in the CX-5 in general?
Absorbed Glass Mat, AGM, batteries do have many advantages than standard flooded lead acid batteries. They can be mounted on different positions without acid spilling. They have higher voltage output and shorter charging time. They have longer life cycles and are also more resistant to extreme temperatures、vibrations、and impact. Of course AGM batteries cost more.

As for AGM battery experience, one member who has a 2016 CX-5 installed an AutoZone Duralast Platinum AGM battery in March this year, but it lasted only 8 months and needed a replacement. My seldom-used 2000 BMW 528i has a WalMart EverStart Platinum AGM battery for 3 years now and so far so good.

I put a Mazda OEM “High Performance” battery in my 2016 CX-5 replacing my factory Panasonic in October. But I found the OEM battery is made by Interstate which is the same battery as much cheaper Costco Interstate battery with exception of black casing. Next time I’d just get a $79 Interstate Group 35 battery at Costco.

7D41CE78-D101-4E36-ADDF-201308D86FF9.jpeg

Last edited:
I've noticed there are battery chargers and tenders that have different settings for various types of batteries.
I've noticed my cx5 running system voltage tends to be around 13.8 vdc while my other car is usually over 14 vdc. I've read that AGM batteries need charging up to the 14 vdc range to get a good deep charge.

So I think this is a good question.
Oddesy Red Top battery web site has some info on this.

Costco Kirkland. Most batteries are just re-branded units made by the same company.

"Three companies:
Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary.
May 20, 2019"

The CX-5 OEM battery is flooded lead acid. The alternator is set up for charging flooded lead acid battery. If you install an AGM battery, it may not charge correctly. I recommend staying with a flooded battery like the Costco Interstate Group 35.

I replaced my Panasonic factory battery last year with a Group 35 Superstart Premium (made by East- Penn ) from O'reilly auto parts.With tax it was about $148 installed.I wanted a known quality new battery right now ( snow flurries while the guy was installing it).If I was a Costco member or went to Walmart I'm sure I could have saved some money.
And speaking of Walmart,a few days ago while perusing their auto section I noticed the batteries on display (Everstart?) had Johnson Controls part # or serial beginning with JCxxxxxx.Didn't pay attention to the Group sizes.In the past I've had a few Duralast Gold batteries from Autozone that were JC made and they were good batteries.

Interesting - didn't know AGM have different charging characteristics. I think I will stick with the Wet/Flooded battery therefore.

What's interesting is that after charging the car with a 5A 12V battery tender for a couple of hours (and the tender/charger indicated that the battery was at 80% charge capacity )- the car started normally. I need to get the battery checked out because if it isn't the battery - I 'm worried it is something else with the electrical system

Taking my car to the stealership for servicing next week, I've asked them to check out both the battery and the EPB

Interesting - didn't know AGM have different charging characteristics. I think I will stick with the Wet/Flooded battery therefore.

Charging characteristics yes are different.. however your alternator is NOT a charger...

You can use your regular battery charger on AGM or gel cell batteries.

False. These batteries like to be charged slow and low. Many AGM/gel cell battery chargers have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly. Some have different settings for charging flooded, gel and AGM batteries. Overcharging can kill these batteries. Also, alternators are not chargers. Don’t rely on an alternator to do the work of a charger. If a battery is discharged to the point that it cannot start the vehicle, use a charger as soon as possible to make sure the battery gets fully charged.

also:

plenty of reading about AGM batteries used in vehicles without problem.

even the boat people:

TLDR; AGM battery is fine in your vehicle for normal everyday use. If you should find yourself depleting your battery below 50% then you will need to ensure your battery charger is AGM 'friendly' that is is charges at a peak of 14v and at a slower pace.

Reactions: hmw
TLDR; AGM battery is fine in your vehicle for normal everyday use. If you should find yourself depleting your battery below 50% then you will need to ensure your battery charger is AGM 'friendly' that is is charges at a peak of 14v and at a slower pace.

The quora article you linked to says

A.G.M. Battery. ... batteries can only be discharged to 50%, whereas the lead acid battery can be discharged to 80%.

But then it claims

The leading advantages of AGM are ... the ability to deep cycle.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? As the ability to deep-cycle usually refers to 80% discharge?

The BatteryTender I have claims to charge both AGM & Flooded - https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-TenderR-5A-Power-Tender-Series-High-Efficiency

My concern was more about whether the alternator current/voltage would need to be modified if I put a AGM battery - or whether it is a true drop-in replacement. Also concerning is what yrwei52 said earlier ...

As for AGM battery experience, one member who has a 2016 CX-5 installed an AutoZone Duralast Platinum AGM battery in March this year, but it lasted only 8 months and needed a replacement. My seldom-used 2000 BMW 528i has a WalMart EverStart Platinum AGM battery for 3 years now and so far so good.

My Duralast AGM battery. $186 from Autozone. I installed it 12/22/2016. Zero electrical issues or problems with it. Ever.
CX-5Battery.jpg

My concern was more about whether the alternator current/voltage would need to be modified if I put a AGM battery - or whether it is a true drop-in replacement. Also concerning is what yrwei52 said earlier ...
Since we've seen conflict information about the compatibility of charging by using AGM battery, I'd simply use much cheaper flooded Interstate battery. An AGM battery simply can't outlast a flooded battery 2.5 times longer, which is the price you paid. In addition, the life cycle of a battery usually is longer in California with mild weather. The factory Panasonic flooded battery in your CX-5 has almost 6 years of good life which is pretty good.

I dont believe charging AGM on the CX5 is an issue. There are many people who are using AGM on CX5s. Myself included. Its holding charge much better and can sustain longer idle/sit times. Also I noticed it charges faster than the oem.
Alternators are also kind of smart and charge is controlled. One can easily verify this by monitoring the obdii live data.
There is also always large variaton difference between running voltage that one sees for the car electronics and charging voltage seen by the alternator.
i.e. unside car you can have 13.6 while at alternator to batt could ve 14.5. Most importantly the charging Ampers which is the important factor too.

Its a personal and financial choice mostly whether to go with AGM or not. And yes even a new normal flooded battery is better than an old dying one, no matter the type.

Last edited:
Recently got Costco membership.

When the time comes I'll get their Interstate Battery (U.S.). That's said, I topped off the existing battery with distilled water to prolong life.

One good upgrade I keep forgetting to do is a the "Big 3 Upgrade". Essentially upgrading the tiny but sufficient wiring all manufacturers use with higher gauge wiring. I have an aftermarket sound system but this benefits any car from getting max stock electrical power via less inefficiency loss.

Big 3 Upgrade

Would a good OBD2 scanner record and display what was happening with the battery charging voltage? I’m wondering how to check if there’s any parasitic drain ...

AGM could become chronically under charged but using a battery tender should remedy this.

Alternators are also kind of smart and charge is controlled. One can easily verify this by monitoring the obdii live data.
Modern alternators are controlled by the ECU to achieve smart charging. CX-5 ECU monitors battery "state of charge" and load to control alternator voltage for a flooded lead acid battery. If you install an AGM battery, the ECU doesn't know it; it still uses the charging profile for a flooded battery. Yes, many have installed AGM batteries in their CX-5s and it seems to work. I'm just saying it is not optimal.

I dont have details on whats programmed in the ecu but my observation js that all works well with my AGM so far.
Much better than the Oem flooded one for my driving style and car usage. Last time I didnt drive for a month the oem almost died. 2 yrs old battery. Obviously my car usage was bad for the battery.

Below is current test from my AGM, 6+ mo old.
I barely drive the car and its usually short distances 6-7 miles and more importantly is the time - 15-20 minutes from start to stop. Once every few weeks longer time and distances.

This below from my tester. So far it seems to work well for my needs.
Whether it would last 5 years I dont know. Probably not.
Only time will tell, but I do have full replacement for the 5 years so that works for me.
Also additional benefit is it heats less in Arizona summer heat because of the special casing on the battery. And yes I verified oem and this with ir thermometer.

20200820_155224.jpg

20200820_155236.jpg

this is the oem when it was dying although it probably had 1 more year of life left because we dont get very cold weather here.

20200820_204806.jpg

Last edited:
Below is current test from my AGM, 6+ mo old.
I barely drive the car and its usually short distances 6-7 miles and more importantly is the time - 15-20 minutes from start to stop. Once every few weeks

That’s actually what my driving is like now, thanks to the Pandemic.

What AGM battery did you use and what tester is it?

Side bar question: Has anyone used a portable lithium power charger to jump start their CX5? My battery now 2 years old and am thinking of buying one as preventative measure.

Back