CX-9 liftgate won't close

Dear all,

I am having an issue with my new CX-9 Mazda 2020 Signature, the hydraulic liftgate system stopped working. I tried to open it and it opened slightly then it stopped working, I tried to close it manually but it wont close. Now I can't lock any door, the liftgate is open and it keeps beeping. The Mazda center is a 100 miles a way from me and they are on holiday in my country.

I would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

Can you open it completely? If so perhaps an object is stuck in the latch mechanism causing it to bind up. Other than unlocking all the doors from the drivers switch and seeing if that puts it back to normal I'm not sure what else you can do.

Here's the procedure from your owner's manual. Please note that the procedure is from Mazda Canada - consult the manual for your country to verify that the procedure is the same.

I had a similar issue when I washed the car in the winter and didn't dry the hatch opening properly. It froze closed overnight, and when I tried to open the trunk using the FOB, I blew the liftgate fuse. With the fuse blown, the car would only beep 3 times whenever I tried to use the interior/exterior buttons or the FOB to pop the trunk.

Check your fuses to make sure none of them are blown. If fuses are good, disconnect the battery and depress the brake pedal for 30 seconds to ensure the BCM is completely powered down, then reconnect battery and try again. If it still won't open, try unlocking all doors, then opening and closing the liftgate manually from the inside (instructions available in the online owner's manual). If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Here's the procedure from your owner's manual. Please note that the procedure is from Mazda Canada - consult the manual for your country to verify that the procedure is the same.

I had a similar issue when I washed the car in the winter and didn't dry the hatch opening properly. It froze closed overnight, and when I tried to open the trunk using the FOB, I blew the liftgate fuse. With the fuse blown, the car would only beep 3 times whenever I tried to use the interior/exterior buttons or the FOB to pop the trunk.

Check your fuses to make sure none of them are blown. If fuses are good, disconnect the battery and depress the brake pedal for 30 seconds to ensure the BCM is completely powered down, then reconnect battery and try again. If it still won't open, try unlocking all doors, then opening and closing the liftgate manually from the inside (instructions available in the online owner's manual). If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.
Thank you so much man, this was helpful, the issue was from the fuses. I am happy now. ^_^

Can you open it completely? If so perhaps an object is stuck in the latch mechanism causing it to bind up. Other than unlocking all the doors from the drivers switch and seeing if that puts it back to normal I'm not sure what else you can do.
Thank you man for you support, the issue resolved, it was from the fuses.

Fuses blow for a reason. Fuses protect the wiring from excessive heat caused by overloading the circuit. If there was some reason the lifting system had to work too hard, find that and correct it. If there are defective parts then they must be corrected.

Hi everyone. I just crested an account to post how I solved this issue on my wife's 2018 cx9. She originally would have to use a socket but I found this on Amazon and it's awesome. A simple unscrew breaks the connection and tightening it restores it. So much easier.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch https://a.co/d/25ytcgT

Attachments

• 20220911_135211.jpg
    20220911_135211.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 206
Back