Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

The backfiring probably could be tuned out, but that might mean leaning out the tune which would be a big no-no. Going back to the stock exhaust would quiet it down, but who wants to do that right?

Doubtful that you're shooting flames, but if you ever notice a quick "glow" in your side view at night you might be. Either way, the tune is probably a lot more helpful and harmful. My FD never threw flames are far as I know. I had a S14 that threw fat flames at higher altitudes (mountain driving), never had any issues.

The backfiring probably could be tuned out, but that might mean leaning out the tune which would be a big no-no. Going back to the stock exhaust would quiet it down, but who wants to do that right?

Doubtful that you're shooting flames, but if you ever notice a quick "glow" in your side view at night you might be. Either way, the tune is probably a lot more helpful and harmful. My FD never threw flames are far as I know. I had a S14 that threw fat flames at higher altitudes (mountain driving), never had any issues.

All good points, thanks for the input...Much appreciated! (2thumbs)

Hey Ant I have a question about your intake. I ordered the AutoExe unit also and its arriving soon. Did you keep that stock air diverter tube there after you remove the stock intake?

Do you think the intake is getting sufficient air being behind the headlight? I was thinking of cutting out a section of that rubber strip thats on the underside of the leading edge of the hood.

Hey Ant I have a question about your intake. I ordered the AutoExe unit also and its arriving soon. Did you keep that stock air diverter tube there after you remove the stock intake?

Do you think the intake is getting sufficient air being behind the headlight? I was thinking of cutting out a section of that rubber strip thats on the underside of the leading edge of the hood.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been super busy this week! Did your intake arrive? If so, how do you like it? I've had mine for years now and it has been trouble free...As for your questions...Do you mean this large open rubber tube coming up from the bottom there..?

14486725694_f6fb57d6ae_b.jpg

Is so, yes...I've kept it there...What are you thoughts? Better to keep it or not? I'd prefer a cleaner look but I haven't thought yet about how to achieve that...Hmm...Food for thought!

Yup that's the tube I'm referring too. I don't really see it doing any harm being there. I was just wondering if there was a way utilize that pipe with the new intake, I haven't gotten yet so I was unsure of the fitment.

Any updates Antoine? Just spent a couple hours reading through the thread, I have to say it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm a member of many different forums, yet I haven't seen a build thread so nicely done with tasteful mods that maintain an elegant style while improving the driving experience (thumb). I've always had a fancy for rare "JDM" cars, and the Cosmo is a beautiful example. Hope all is well!

This is a 20b with a Flame "problem" Antoine! Popping is fine enjoy it! And, if you are driving it enthusiastically - it will pop a flame or two! Kramer has been known to! Much to the delight of the RX7 following me up Thunderbolts Way!

Kramer

Haha...Thanks for the enthusiastic response, Kramer! Glad to know the popping is not an issue...I don't hear the noise that often but it has become a nice surprise when it happens!

Any updates Antoine? Just spent a couple hours reading through the thread, I have to say it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm a member of many different forums, yet I haven't seen a build thread so nicely done with tasteful mods that maintain an elegant style while improving the driving experience (thumb). I've always had a fancy for rare "JDM" cars, and the Cosmo is a beautiful example. Hope all is well!

Wow, thanks for taking your time to read my thread! I really appreciate your feedback and kind words, it means a lot to me!

As for updates, I admit I've been neglecting my own build thread here but that's because I've always got a million things I want and or need to do and only so much time! That said, I've been planning and saving for future upgrades. Actually, the Cosmo is currently at TCP Magic getting a check up after a long winter nap. I will have to take care of the "shaken" (Japanese mandatory car inspection) by September 2015 and that means spending lots of yen just for approval to drive on the street (which is pretty depressing).

One upgrade that I may HAVE to do otherwise I might not pass shaken this time is suspension. Kawato-San told me two years ago when he last performed shaken that my Cosmo's alignment may not pass inspection this time due to aging springs, shocks and bushings (which I haven't changed since purchasing the car years ago). I would like to go with a custom Made in Japan coilover setup which Kawato-San can supply but as always...You've got to "Pay to Play" ;) Obviously it's going to cost a pretty penny for such a suspension but even if I just replace the shocks and springs, it's still going to run me plenty of yen (parts and labor can be a lot more expensive in Japan compared to other countries).

Stay tuned to see what path I take...I will most likely have some juicy updates for this summer and or fall and thanks again for your support! (rockon)

Any chance you are driving your beast up to Hokkaido this summer?

Haha...Unfortunately not but that would definitely make for an epic road trip and a great addition to this thread! :D Sadly I haven't been driving my Cosmo that much recently because it has been at TCP Magic for a while, mainly because Kawato-San has been busy working on his pro RX-7 drift machines (a couple driven by Mad Mike Whiddett). The Cosmo was in for basic maintenance and to sort a few details mentioned below...

Thanks to Kawato-San for the photos! (thumb)

Time for some love and maintenance!
19456585053_ff0c8a977a_b.jpg

Sticking with Speedmaster for engine oil...
19454929864_122762ccda_b.jpg

BuhBye old oil...
20077582855_a4c3c89215_b.jpg

New battery...Also sticking with the brand ATLASBX because it has proven to last longer in the Cosmo than any other battery I've tried including Optima and Mazda's own "premium" option...PLUS, it's cheaper...A LOT cheaper!
20077580355_b9daec624c_b.jpg

Radiator hoses checked and still good to go for now...
19456597893_8989f41406_b.jpg

New air conditioning belt...Last summer I started hearing a loud squealing sound under acceleration and no it wasn't a family member, it turned out to be the air conditioning belt stretching / getting old (at least that's what we think)...I'll know for sure when I pickup my Cosmo this Friday, put on the air and wake up the 20B. ;)
19889564030_46d8b40c4d_b.jpg

Replacing the blue silicone tube from the HKS F-CON V Pro and Boost Controller install with a black one simply for aesthetics...
19456611373_25dbb6a588_b.jpg

Replacing this piece as well and I must say, I really like the look of that glossy black silicone (in the engine bay okay :p )...I think I might use it to replace more hoses and tubes in the future, seems to brighten up the engine bay nicely!
20082994681_4cc819df60_b.jpg

Here's another angle of that sweet silicone... ;)
19890907619_b9a19ee9cd_b.jpg

The final detail is new license plate fasteners. The old ones were standard and RUSTING on to the snow white plates and it stuck out like a sore thumb. So, they've since been replaced with nicer fasteners and the rust stain has been removed...It's a small detail but one that I feel makes a big difference!
20069684742_8c589e6b4d_b.jpg

Replaced the rear one as well...
19890905409_7821b8030d_b.jpg

That's all for now...I still need to have Shaken (mandatory vehicle inspection) done and consider replacing the suspension. On a quick related note...There were other things I wanted to fix or replace but unfortunately, parts for the Eunos Cosmo are becoming increasingly unavailable (even from Mazda) which is frustrating to say the least! I will go into more detail about those issues later...As always, thanks for reading and stay tuned! :D

Nice update. I too went for the glossy black silicone recently while doing some updating. Samco radiator hoses and the elbows/connectors for the 505zoom air intake box, MAF, TB. Of course it's no Eunos Cosmo but it is similarly silver. Always a treat to see new stuff in this thread.

NLA parts is always frustrating. I'm finding that's occurring more and more with my RX7 as well. Even what I consider to be "collision" parts are NLA, which is unfortunately should any of these cars be in an accident. Ebay Motors and Yahoo Auctions will become your friends.

Nice update. I too went for the glossy black silicone recently while doing some updating. Samco radiator hoses and the elbows/connectors for the 505zoom air intake box, MAF, TB. Of course it's no Eunos Cosmo but it is similarly silver. Always a treat to see new stuff in this thread.

Thanks! Cool, yeah I've never been a fan of the blue silicone, that glossy black really seems to compliment the EC engine bay and I'm planning on using more of it in the future. Next on my list to receive the black silicone treatment are the intercooler hoses. The plan is to use one normal hose piece and connect it to another hose that has a "ripple" (not sure what you call it) for flexibility using titanium piping. It should not only look cool but be more than capable of handling higher than stock levels of boost. (2thumbs)

NLA parts is always frustrating. I'm finding that's occurring more and more with my RX7 as well. Even what I consider to be "collision" parts are NLA, which is unfortunately should any of these cars be in an accident. Ebay Motors and Yahoo Auctions will become your friends.

You said it, that and anyone who can create replacement parts. Fortunately, Kawato-San has a lot of contacts and I'm going to be putting his network to the test as more and more EC parts become unattainable. :(

In other news... UPGRADE UPDATE!

...But before that I just want to report that the Cosmo PASSED its mandatory vehicle inspection (called Shaken in Japan) without needing any repairs. #GoTeamEunosCosmo (thumb)

Now on to the update...It's official, the Cosmo is getting a long overdue suspension upgrade in the form of new custom DG-5 Coilovers. They are being made as I type this post, DG-5 is using the stock suspension off another Eunos Cosmo for reference. Kawato-San recommends the DG-5 coilovers as that is what all his RX-7 race / drift cars use including the twin turbo 4Rotor monster that Mad Mike currently pilots. DG-5 is a Japanese suspension brand and the coilovers are also made in Japan and use Swift Springs. Although they are often used for drifting, they can be set up for street and race use as well.

Here's a DG-5 Flyer from TCP Magic with more info...

291_0568_1391937146.jpg

I'm interested to see the quality of those DG-5's and how they ride. What're the spring rates? I have the Aragosta units with Swift springs and it's an amazing feelings set up for our cars.

It's interesting the image you pasted above shows an application for the FC3S RX-7 but I couldn't find anything on their site. It sounds like an interesting option if your mechanic recommends them on the shop race cars.

I'm interested to see the quality of those DG-5's and how they ride. What're the spring rates? I have the Aragosta units with Swift springs and it's an amazing feelings set up for our cars.

Me too especially considering how much they cost! Hopefully I will have pics of the coilovers and the install process from Kawato-San to post but note that I'm still waiting on delivery...At least I have my Cosmo in the meantime. As for the spring rates, good question...Let me confirm first and then I will post the details here...I've heard that driving a Eunos Cosmo with coilovers provides a "night and day" like difference compared to the stock suspension. While I'm running AutoExe Springs, they're probably from the last century (literally) and my shocks / struts are making noises when I drive over bumps etc...As you can imagine, I'm extremely eager to experience this difference for myself!

It's interesting the image you pasted above shows an application for the FC3S RX-7 but I couldn't find anything on their site. It sounds like an interesting option if your mechanic recommends them on the shop race cars.

Did you also check the DG-5 website? http://www.dg-5.co.jp/lineup/index.html

Yeah, a few years ago I inquired about upgrading my suspension and he recommended a "local" custom suspension builder here in Japan but shortly after he partnered with DG-5 and Swift Springs. I like that he's not just recommending them from "word of mouth" or because he gets a phat commission but because he actually uses them on his race cars! (thumb)

Did you also check the DG-5 website? http://www.dg-5.co.jp/lineup/index.html

Yeah, a few years ago I inquired about upgrading my suspension and he recommended a "local" custom suspension builder here in Japan but shortly after he partnered with DG-5 and Swift Springs. I like that he's not just recommending them from "word of mouth" or because he gets a phat commission but because he actually uses them on his race cars! (thumb)

It shows up there. At about $2100 USD it's a pricey alternative but one I'll keep in mind. The spring rates are pretty much the same as those from other companies so it'll be interesting to find out what differentiates them from the others. I'll be paying attention when it's time for your upgrade.

Finally...The Cosmo is currently "under the knife" at TCP Magic and I have photographic evidence with more to come (provided Kawato-San hooks me up with juicy shots of the install)...:D

I knew it was time to bring the Cosmo in for surgery when this pic popped up on my phone...;)

22977676400_8bc541305c_k.jpg

Here's the man, master mechanic and rotary guru himself holding up my freshly fabricated coilovers!

23273248505_78559a9365_k.jpg

Here's a closeup of the DG-5 Coilovers from TCP Magic custom built for my Eunos Cosmo...

23247146486_05702fd281_k.jpg

23273216705_899d3f9176_k.jpg

Now for some fun facts...Kawato-San says these coilovers are significantly lighter than the stock suspension. Perhaps even as much as half the weight of the stock setup! He also says DG-5 designed these coilovers specifically for my application and took into account all sorts of values such as the Cosmo's weight distribution etc. In other words, they didn't just slap together parts off the shelf and call it a day (at least I hope not eek lol).

Also, we realized that in order to adjust the rear coilovers, a hole would need to be cut into the rear deck (on both sides) to access the adjustment knob if I wanted to retain that option (instead of setting and forgetting). Being a fan of the "clean looks like factory look", I was not keen on having holes in the rear deck...So, while looking at the rear suspension via the trunk, I got the idea to custom mount a cable to each knob so that adjustments can be made by simply opening the trunk. To my surprise, Kawato-San nodded and said it might be possible and he will certainly give it a try...Note that he may conclude that it's not and then I'll be back to square one! Another option would be to install some sort of electronic "on the fly" system which would be cool but would add additional cost, complexity and risk of failure...Plus, I really like the idea of a simple and stealthy way to adjust the rear suspension. Also, I don't plan on making adjustments so frequently!

Oh and I managed to snap a shot of the TCP Magic DG-5 coilovers installed on the Quad-Rotor Twin-Turbo RX-7 that Mad Mike drifts when in Japan, aka HUMBUL (currently being prepped for 2016)...Proof that Kawato-San sells what he runs!

22905348629_6d4a0ac69b_k.jpg

Time for a Quick Update!

Unfortunately, the DG-5 install is taking longer than expected...It turns out further customization is needed to make the coilovers fit my Cosmo. It appears simply basing the custom coilovers off of a set of original factory struts etc was not enough as a couple major issues have popped up.

One issue is that they are not long enough...As shown to me in the pic below...

23546786136_048a933d6a_k.jpg

The other major issue is the upper mount which can be clearly seen in the pic below...

23277101620_e70c1eaa81_k.jpg

I was originally told it would take a week or so, it has now been two weeks. I'm not too concerned because I trust Kawato-San will sort everything out and I would much rather he do the best job possible than try to hack things together to save time. That said, I'm hoping his next text message contains good news and more juicy pics...We'll see!

Back