Protege 5 engine swaps

you wouldnt have to in a protege either. at least the KL swap i did, i didnt. but it depends on how ghetto you are, and how lazy you are about wiring things up correctly.

Sorry for thread jacking but I'm in the end stages of a swap in my p5. Ordered a jdm fsde before realizing there we're some differences. Everything plugs up with the exception of the knock sensor(stock is 2wire and jdm is 1wire) Haven't tried starting it yet as my mechanic hasn't worked out that issue with the knock sensor. My main question is will my ecm/ecu,whatever you call it, work with this jdm version or do I need to find a jdm ecu? If so does anyone got hints of where to find one. Once again I'm sorry for thread jacking. I've been searching for hours and haven't found much that helps

Sorry for thread jacking but I'm in the end stages of a swap in my p5. Ordered a jdm fsde before realizing there we're some differences. Everything plugs up with the exception of the knock sensor(stock is 2wire and jdm is 1wire) Haven't tried starting it yet as my mechanic hasn't worked out that issue with the knock sensor. My main question is will my ecm/ecu,whatever you call it, work with this jdm version or do I need to find a jdm ecu? If so does anyone got hints of where to find one. Once again I'm sorry for thread jacking. I've been searching for hours and haven't found much that helps

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fsde+ecu+with+fsze

Any time you do an engine swap and run the ECU/wiring that came with the car, you should always switch the sensors from the stock motor to the JDM. This is the only way to ensure 100% compatibility. I know for sure that the crank pulley and the crank sensor are different, and the knock sensor is too as you found out. When I did my swap, I tore the JDM engine all the way down to the long block (Pull off everything but the valve cover and oil pan), and once I got the stock motor pulled, I switched everything over one part at a time. Don't assume electronics are the same, I've done it many times and 90% of the time it turns around and bites me in the ass. The knock sensor on these engines doesn't thread into a water jacket, so it'll be a few minute job for you to swap it over.

As long as the sensors are correct, your P5 won't know the difference. If you do it right you won't have a CEL and it will run like a sewing machine.

I have read that the FSDE was not produced in Japan, they are all FSZE engines. The engine I bought was advertised as a DE, but turned out to be a ZE. You probably got one too.

Hmmm well the guy doing this for me is damn good.he said he's only concerned with the knock sensor. He's getting back on it this weekend so I'll definitely talk to him about all this. If it is the ze will It have more power, since from what I read they're like 170hp, or will it not because of the different ecu

Any time you do an engine swap and run the ECU/wiring that came with the car, you should always switch the sensors from the stock motor to the JDM. This is the only way to ensure 100% compatibility. I know for sure that the crank pulley and the crank sensor are different, and the knock sensor is too as you found out. When I did my swap, I tore the JDM engine all the way down to the long block (Pull off everything but the valve cover and oil pan), and once I got the stock motor pulled, I switched everything over one part at a time. Don't assume electronics are the same, I've done it many times and 90% of the time it turns around and bites me in the ass. The knock sensor on these engines doesn't thread into a water jacket, so it'll be a few minute job for you to swap it over.

As long as the sensors are correct, your P5 won't know the difference. If you do it right you won't have a CEL and it will run like a sewing machine.

I have read that the FSDE was not produced in Japan, they are all FSZE engines. The engine I bought was advertised as a DE, but turned out to be a ZE. You probably got one too.

All proteges were built in Japan.

FS-ZE is for Japan market, FS-DE is for US market.

It is sometimes difficult to tell from the outside the difference between the engines... especially if the black airbox on the top is missing.

Hmmm well the guy doing this for me is damn good.he said he's only concerned with the knock sensor. He's getting back on it this weekend so I'll definitely talk to him about all this. If it is the ze will It have more power, since from what I read they're like 170hp, or will it not because of the different ecu

FS-ZE has higher compression and one of the cam shafts is different, thats where it gets the power from. I can see how this MIGHT will require a different tune and better fuel quality.

All proteges were built in Japan.

FS-ZE is for Japan market, FS-DE is for US market.

It is sometimes difficult to tell from the outside the difference between the engines... especially if the black airbox on the top is missing.

FS-ZE has higher compression and one of the cam shafts is different, thats where it gets the power from. I can see how this MIGHT will require a different tune and better fuel quality.

I worded that last part wrong. Meant to say that the DE wasn't marketed in Japan, but that's still up for grabs because this engine has so many applications.

Looks like it's a deal for sure. The 98's had a black box that looks similar to the ze black box but from the research I've do,e it definitely is a development. Also contacted seller and he says the same thing. Although the header I ordered doesn't fit it so I gotta try to find a header with a different egr pipe angle and that will get around the dust cover and oil pan

Looks like it's a deal for sure. The 98's had a black box that looks similar to the ze black box but from the research I've do,e it definitely is a development. Also contacted seller and he says the same thing. Although the header I ordered doesn't fit it so I gotta try to find a header with a different egr pipe angle and that will get around the dust cover and oil pan

Did you buy your header off ebay?

You could pull the valve cover and check the cam numbers, then refer to this thread.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701258701

One member in this thread insists that the any FS engines sold in the JDM market were ZE, so a true JDM FSDE doesn't exist.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123791224-FSDE-motor-import-motor

You could pull the valve cover and check the cam numbers, then refer to this thread.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701258701

One member in this thread insists that the any FS engines sold in the JDM market were ZE, so a true JDM FSDE doesn't exist.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123791224-FSDE-motor-import-motor

The 'Z' in the name means its JDM. Same goes for KL-DE vs KL-ZE. That is from my understanding, I don't know what happened with the KJ-ZEM naming though.

Lol there is so much different info lol I'll know this weeke,d whether the New engine will work. Fingers crossed it's legit. Its got decals that are in some sort of Asian lettering. Can't say for sure it's Japanese since I know nothing about the symbolism but that makes me think it is At least from somewhere other than the states. Anyways I'll take the cover off and see what numbers are there. Really hoping against a ze since I see there is a good bit of extra s*** you gotta do for them to run and they aren't the best for boost. Since I'm planning on boosting next tax season and all. Thanks for all the info and help guys. I really appreciate it

Oh and yes I bought the header off eBay. Waiting for a reply from the company I bought it from so I can return it. buying a used one from a guy on here for a damn good price

Lol there is so much different info lol I'll know this weeke,d whether the New engine will work. Fingers crossed it's legit. Its got decals that are in some sort of Asian lettering. Can't say for sure it's Japanese since I know nothing about the symbolism but that makes me think it is At least from somewhere other than the states. Anyways I'll take the cover off and see what numbers are there. Really hoping against a ze since I see there is a good bit of extra s*** you gotta do for them to run and they aren't the best for boost. Since I'm planning on boosting next tax season and all. Thanks for all the info and help guys. I really appreciate it

The only difference that really affects boosting is the pistons.. Those can be changed easily enough, and it's a good opportunity to go forged. The 2000 up ZE should still have the forged crankshaft and piston squirters like the DE.

Oh and yes I bought the header off eBay. Waiting for a reply from the company I bought it from so I can return it. buying a used one from a guy on here for a damn good price

That is why your EGR pipe doesn't fit. Those knock-off headers always come with the wrong egr pipe angle.

... Really hoping against a ze since I see there is a good bit of extra s*** you gotta do for them to run...

Apparently you have to down grade to OBD1 (IIRC) and you'll need a wiring harness to splice and match with.

I remember one guy finally gave up and sold everything when he got his wiring harness and it was the wrong one.

It's a huge PITA,..

EDIT... He may have done a KL swap.... My alphabet is all mixed up.

Last edited:
Yea it is a de. And the header situation is worked out thankfully. Seller sent me the return info and return shipping label so no worries there. I'd ******* love to do a kl swap but I don't have the money or time to deal with the wiring nightmare. Seeing as it's my only car the easiest swap is best. Now once I get another ride in the next few years it's definitely something worth looking at. Not sure if I'd rather do that or just forge and boost the de

Also do any of you know the guys name on here that does the mp3 ecu for the proteges? Hoping to have a little money left after this swap and I wanna do the ecu change to help her run a little better

Apparently you have to down grade to OBD1 (IIRC) and you'll need a wiring harness to splice and match with.

I remember one guy finally gave up and sold everything when he got his wiring harness and it was the wrong one.

It's a huge PITA,..

EDIT... He may have done a KL swap.... My alphabet is all mixed up.

Some cars like the probe and 626 were available with KL and FSDE. Now don't quote me on this, but I don't think the wiring is much different between the two and is the reason so many people do it.

I think you are referring to the KJ-ZEM that only came in automatic in the millenia S, that would a nightmare to wire if you wanted to keep OBD on there.

Yea it is a de. And the header situation is worked out thankfully. Seller sent me the return info and return shipping label so no worries there. I'd ******* love to do a kl swap but I don't have the money or time to deal with the wiring nightmare. Seeing as it's my only car the easiest swap is best. Now once I get another ride in the next few years it's definitely something worth looking at. Not sure if I'd rather do that or just forge and boost the de

As I mentioned above, I don't think a KL is that bad. However, a lot of people choose to boost and forge their engines because at the end of the day, a forged FSDE has more potential than a stock KL in my opinion and results in similar difficulty.

Also do any of you know the guys name on here that does the mp3 ecu for the proteges? Hoping to have a little money left after this swap and I wanna do the ecu change to help her run a little better

SpicyOrangeMSP

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123746537-FS-MP3-ECU-150-shipping

<object classid="clsid:D
Get er done

<embed src="http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=51f8caeb-27a7-4ee1-b213-994500a1e6da&servicecfg=386" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" height="338" width="600">
protege 5 with rotary engine</object>

Back