ZPS Build Thread

It won't hop that low of a pressure. I run them that low when I scrub in the tires. Front and rear at 30. I would think that your car is going to hop because of the higher front spring rate compared to the rear which is just really odd when you look at the natural frequency's, also the normal dampening on the Bilsteins is slightly soft.

Also what tires were you using? That could be the difference there as well. RE-11A's have a pretty stiff sidewall.

It won't hop that low of a pressure. I run them that low when I scrub in the tires. Front and rear at 30. I would think that your car is going to hop because of the higher front spring rate compared to the rear which is just really odd when you look at the natural frequency's, also the normal dampening on the Bilsteins is slightly soft.

Also what tires were you using? That could be the difference there as well. RE-11A's have a pretty stiff sidewall.

Kimho XS, My car hopped with 450LB springs in the rear. It also hopped with 500 front and 450 rear there is something else going on with the suspension geometry. It did it with the 205/50 Kumho XS on a 7" wheel and with 225/45 Rivals on a 7.5 wheel

Lots of great info here :). I will soon be on 400F and 350R with my bilstein kit and tri point bar. Right now I only have the front springs I need to order the rears soon. I will be racing with extremez31 and jasyatz soon enough :)

Yea I have never had my car hop. Usually I have seen hopping from people who adjust their coilovers to full stiff since they are "racing" but they just hop all over. I know that isn't the case which you which is strange. I will post what I get from the autocross along with videos from it.

The 400/350 combo is probably where I will end up after a revalve. I have to remember this is my DD 1st. The Miata is the fast track car.

Lots of great info here :). I will soon be on 400F and 350R with my bilstein kit and tri point bar. Right now I only have the front springs I need to order the rears soon. I will be racing with extremez31 and jasyatz soon enough :)

Im selling my rear eibach springs, PM me if interested.

Yea I have never had my car hop. Usually I have seen hopping from people who adjust their coilovers to full stiff since they are "racing" but they just hop all over. I know that isn't the case which you which is strange. I will post what I get from the autocross along with videos from it.

The 400/350 combo is probably where I will end up after a re-valve. I have to remember this is my DD 1st. The Miata is the fast track car.

In my case I have no adjustment, I also reduced the rear springs from 500 to 350 which may have simulated the effect you mention. The shocks are valved for 500... lets see how i do this weekend. ZPS keep me updated on your results

Coming soon to a Mazda 2 near you. Will have better pictures later on. Still painting the other 3.

1378004_10101070473229988_933745440_n.jpg

Well it was an early morning today when I got to the lot.

1377591_10101074310310448_480569205_n.jpg

Was a nice morning. While setting up the course I hit the front wheel with a cone and the rear. Yup thats how I roll. Hitting cones with the rear wheel.
Front:
1379449_10101074310235598_1022491042_n.jpg

Rear:
1381887_10101074310245578_815604076_n.jpg

The wheels look really good on the car.
1382320_10101074310445178_1899089668_n.jpg

During the event the car handled great. It rotated just fine. No need really for the Tri-point. With these tires the car grips really well. It did not bounce at all with about 40psi in all 4. It drove and gripped great. I had a bunch of my friends drive it and they all liked it as well. I have a bunch of videos I will upload tomorrow.

Oh and since I set up the course and I am the resident hot shoe I get to drive some interesting cars. I did 4 laps in a Camaro LE1, and 1 timed lap during the event. I was really impressed with it. Not just for a Camaro but as a car in general. I have my timed run on video too.

So now that I am slightly rested more I can put up some more information. With the amount of grip which I had the car handled great. I did not have any issue with any understeer. It would only understeer badly if you went into a corner way too quick, which is fine with me since if you do that your screwed anyway. I was really happy with it. Turning into the slalom was a joy with how the car would just rotate in. The only issue was on the turn arounds at the ends of the lot the RPM's were low enough that when I floored it I couldn't accelerate out of the turn until I took off some steering lock. The cornering force backwards in the front was basically the same as the acceleration. Pretty sad, but it is a smaller lot. Oct 27th I am going to take it to an autocross at Michelin's Black Lake which is a large lot so we will see how it does there.

Roof shot from a fun run, so some cones were already down.

Nice rear Shot

The Camaro 1LE I drove.

There are a bunch more I uploaded from the day.

So I got bored again and decided to look into something. When I had my civic back in the day I took the muffler off and the rest of the exhaust was stock. It didn't sound that bad. Well on the 2 I have taken the muffler off and it wasn't that bad, but there was nothing to hold the end of the midpipe. So I then had the thought of using washers to space the connection between the muffler and the midpipe. I tried about 0.060" with of washers and it wasn't too bad sounding down low, but above 3500 there really wasn't any more sound than stock. I then added another washer to get the total up to about 0.090" and it was better on the top end, but down low it was loud and it sounded like there were just rust holes in the muffler. Oh well only took about 20 minutes and now I know that I will need an exhaust in order to get some good sound out of the car.

That is a great idea. Sort of a bypass for the rear muffler.

-Derrick

yea but for the cost of an electric cutout I could make the exhaust I want. The washers only take 5 minutes to do and cost basically nothing. Plus it is tunable just like a supertrap muffler. Just sounds bad though.

Doesn't have to directly have to do with my build, but it does have to do with Bridgestone tires I got.

1380722_10101097449718888_1408471405_n.jpg

yea I almost hate to throw the box away.

Anywho, I also ordered the DT tune yesterday. Also as I believe I have said before my best friend owns a performance shop with a dyno I can use whenever I want so a before and after plot will be done.

Looking at that 2nd video with the rear facing camera, its neat to see the camber change in the rear during cornering. And that camaro looks to have some pretty quick reflexes.

Yea so there definitely is some camber change with the torsion beam then which is not what most people think. Also you can see how the toe changed. When the wheel droops you can't see the white of the wheel anymore which means that it toed out in droop which makes sense those toe measurements I took at different ride heights.

Looking at that 2nd video with the rear facing camera, its neat to see the camber change in the rear during cornering. And that camaro looks to have some pretty quick reflexes.

Also on a good note I have a very busy weekend. Saturday I am instructing for my 7th Street Survival program at Michelin's test center. Really great program for those with kids learning to drive and I highly recommend having your kids take one of these schools. Then on Sunday I have an autocross at the test center. First time I will be taking the 2 to it. Obviously it is nice. They use the black lake which is 14 acres of completely flat blacktop with nothing on it. Videos will follow later in the week once I catch up on sleep.

Back