Winter tires

beep119

:
2005 Mazda 6
Hello all, need some buying advice...winter tires
Anyone have them on their cx5 and if you like them or not.
I'm looking into what brand and model I should get for my wife's 2016 cx5. I have a set of rims from a 2005 Mazda 6. I was told they will fit...anyone know for sure?
So far looking into the blizacks ws80. Anyone have these?
She drives on the highway maybe once or twice a week, other then that it's just daily driving.
Thank you for input

I ran General Altimax Arctic last year and was very surprised and happy about purchasing snow tires for our vehicles. Turned out to be a great investment. Was the first time in my life I used snow tires, will not go back to regular all season tires for the winter months anymore.

24434106702_4a397b91eb_z.jpg

I heard that the cx-5 does not have tpms sensors on the rim...can anyone confirm this?
And what size of snow tire? I have heard you should go a size down..
Thanks Gino for input, will keep the Generals in mind.

I run Hakkapeliitta tires on Mazda 6 rims. I like them a lot. A friend and I car polled last year. We both had compact SUVs with snows. After riding with me in fresh snow he said "I have snor tires. You have REAL SNOW TIRES."

I have used hakkapeliitta tires for about 10 years on a number of cars. I don't think anything is better.

I heard that the cx-5 does not have tpms sensors on the rim...can anyone confirm this?
Thanks Gino for input, will keep the Generals in mind.

Correct, Mazda now uses the ABS system for TPMS...so no need for sensors.

I'm assuming the wheels you have from the '05 Mazda 6 are 17". If so, the 17's would be a good choice. More sidewall height on a 225/65-17 than a 225/55-19 that can be a plus if you hit a winter pot hole. Also, there is a much better selection of 17" than 19" winter tires.

Last winter was my first on winter tires since I was a kid (50 years ago). Very happy with the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2's I got and I'm ready to put them back on in a month or so.

Tire Rack has a good section in their Tech Center on winter tires.

We use the Nokian Hakka R2 SUV with the std OEM size 225/65-17. Excellent winter tire, have used Nokian on last 2 vehicles and would definitely buy again. My brother works at a tire shop and I could have gotten a steal on a couple other brands, but opted to go elsewhere, pay more and get these. I know they work excellent on snow and ice.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

Michelins also have a good rep around here. I'm sure that most do a decent job. Just beware some brands are dual compound, meaning the rubber has an outer layer meant for winter. Once you wear through that, they are pretty much an all season.

Last edited:
We use the Nokian Hakka R2 SUV with the std OEM size 225/65-17. Excellent winter tire, have used Nokian on last 2 vehicles and would definitely buy again. My brother works at a tire shop and I could have gotten a steal on a couple other brands, but opted to go elsewhere, pay more and get these. I know they work excellent on snow and ice.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

If you have a good relationship with your local repair shop, ask for Nokian My local shop sells Cooper He had never heard of Nokian but he checked with his wholesale suppler and found he could get them. He marks them up the same dollar amount as the Coopers making them a bargain. Now I keep sending people to him.

Frank

I have the Bridgestone WS80's installed on 17" rims, 225/65-R17. The tires perform very well in the snow so much so that it becomes very hard to have any "fun" in the snow. With the winters installed it's difficult to get the car to mis behave in the snow. I would say the "best" winter tires available for the CX-5 would be the WS80, X-Ice Xi2, and the Hakka R2.
I would rate the general altimax as a "better" winter tire, it's an older design.

It's tough finding 19" snow tires! I'm trying to keep my stock rims...

Dude your in Post Falls. You have a real winter!

The cost of R&R every year can't justify keeping original rims after a few seasons. Look for CX-5 17" take off's on craigs - now. You'll find more tires available at a better price than your 19". AND you save your 19" rims from getting beat up twice a year changing tires!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that will be the best bet. The cost of the Hakkapeliitta tires in 19", installed, out the door is $915! So, getting 18" alloy rims at $100/each and getting a less expensive Continental snow tire will still be over a grand.
I am going to checkout good 'ol Craigslist. Can I run the 17" rim/tire even though I am at 19 now? The tire guy said to make sure the brakes would not get in the way, but I am thinking that Mazda offered the 17's on a CX-5 to begin with and the 19 is just a luxury upgrade, so I should be good, right?

Yeah, I think that will be the best bet. The cost of the Hakkapeliitta tires in 19", installed, out the door is $915! So, getting 18" alloy rims at $100/each and getting a less expensive Continental snow tire will still be over a grand.
I am going to checkout good 'ol Craigslist. Can I run the 17" rim/tire even though I am at 19 now? The tire guy said to make sure the brakes would not get in the way, but I am thinking that Mazda offered the 17's on a CX-5 to begin with and the 19 is just a luxury upgrade, so I should be good, right?

My car came with 19s I am running 17s from a Mazda 3 or 6 they work fine. BTW. On the 3 or 6 they run low profile tires. On the CX-5 you run the same high profile that is stock on the Mazda. They cost less, ride nice and with the Haks winter driving is fun.

I believe you can even go down to a 16" rim and still clear the brakes. I would just find some 17" rims with an offset in the 35-55 range around 7" wide give or take and you should be good. And yes, the correct size 17" tire will fit your car, it will have the same outside diameter as your stock 19" rims. Think of two circle on inside the other, the outer circle remains the same but the inner circle can be smaller (17" rims) or larger (19" rims). Stock 17" tire size is 225/65R17 225mm wide, 65% of width tall and 17" inside hole. Vs the 19" 225/55R19 the difference being that height ratio difference, 55% this time to allow the larger inside hole for a 19" rim

I believe you can even go down to a 16" rim and still clear the brakes. I would just find some 17" rims with an offset in the 35-55 range around 7" wide give or take and you should be good. And yes, the correct size 17" tire will fit your car, it will have the same outside diameter as your stock 19" rims. Think of two circle on inside the other, the outer circle remains the same but the inner circle can be smaller (17" rims) or larger (19" rims). Stock 17" tire size is 225/65R17 225mm wide, 65% of width tall and 17" inside hole. Vs the 19" 225/55R19 the difference being that height ratio difference, 55% this time to allow the larger inside hole for a 19" rim

Correct. We're running 16" Mazda 3 wheels with 225/70x16 Blizzak DM-V1s.

Hello. I just traded in my 2016 CX-5 and do have a set of snow tires plus wheels package I bought from tirerack last winter. It contains 225/70R-16 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 (excellent tires) with steel wheels (nothing fancy but no rash or scratches). I drove only about 3200 miles, mostly to the north cascades from Seattle. The car handled great in snow and rain. I will get around to taking pictures and posting these for-sale this weekend.

Last edited:
My 19 diamond cut originals are locked away until spring. My eBay 17 inch wheels were shod with Yokohama W Drives today. I've had these before and really like them.

Back