Winter Tires

So I went to Discount Tire and ordered a set of 215/50/17" Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I have zero experience with these tires, but had a set of WS-50's that I adored for my Grand Am. The MS3 handles way better, and I wasn't sure how much I was willing to sacrifice for performance/snow traction. So I opted for these.

I get a phone call today saying dunlop has zero available and there are none in the warehouse. He said he could put me into any other tire I wanted, but the M3's were not available with no ETA on when they will be.

What do you think I should do? From what I read, MI is no longer plowing main roads. All plowing is suspended until further notice, and they are only doing expressways going forward.

I could do the WS-60's and i've read great reviews, but i've also read reviews from previous WS-50 owners (like myself) who do not think the WS-60 is worth it, nor no where near better from the WS-50's. That's disappointing because I could honestly get through ANYTHING in the WS-50's.

Then the conversation gets worse, debating between the M3's and the Winter Sport 3D's but i've heard mixed reviews about those tires as well!

What do you guys think? I don't know how much "Performance" i'll really be gaining or losing with 17" winter, regardless if they're studless or performance. I doubt i'll be taking corners at speed, so why bother with the performance tires? Why? Because they were the same price as the WS-60's..and now I can't get them..WTF!

I'm completely pleased with the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's. Seriously....I had the WS 50's on mine for about two weeks....yoiu may remember the the ones I bought used with my OZ Wheels......but would rub just a slight bit....anyway, those were aweful on the MS3....dead honest....they were squishy and ruined the handling in comparison to the LM-25's. I've since sold them to a Dodge Charger Owner. <roll eyes>

Running the LM-25's on dry pavement and in rain I can't tell the difference between them and great all season tires. These things are quiet, smooth and allow the MS3 to handle very, very well. I won't push it of course, but the difference is night and day. They really are that good. Even my wife asked how come they are so much quieter. Bottom line, I won't mind driving on these for 5 months.

Now I've never had the Dunlop 3D's which were another option I was considering. I've had Dunlop all seaon high performance tires on other cars and they were great too. I chose Blizzaks because I've had them before and I love how they tear up snow and are pretty much the benchmark others shoot for. The 3D's may be great too....but I went with a brand and name that I know more for snow.

Now I saw your concern about size....I went with 205/50/17's and am again, totally pleased. Not too skinny for dry handling at all. Better for snow really. They are just a tad smaller than stock and that's fine as the car rides low and with snow caking up around the wheel wells, I want a little more room for it to sluff off. Winters here can be rough with ice and ruts and every inch of clearance counts. You'll be fine with 205's. vs the 215's they are .4" thinner, .4 smaller in diameter and .2 lower in profile. They look great. Check them out:: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4175298&postcount=156

Check out the ratings at Tire Rack and read the reviews of them. LM-25's FTW.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

So I went to Discount Tire and ordered a set of 215/50/17" Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I have zero experience with these tires, but had a set of WS-50's that I adored for my Grand Am. The MS3 handles way better, and I wasn't sure how much I was willing to sacrifice for performance/snow traction. So I opted for these.

I get a phone call today saying dunlop has zero available and there are none in the warehouse. He said he could put me into any other tire I wanted, but the M3's were not available with no ETA on when they will be.

What do you think I should do? From what I read, MI is no longer plowing main roads. All plowing is suspended until further notice, and they are only doing expressways going forward.

I could do the WS-60's and i've read great reviews, but i've also read reviews from previous WS-50 owners (like myself) who do not think the WS-60 is worth it, nor no where near better from the WS-50's. That's disappointing because I could honestly get through ANYTHING in the WS-50's.

Then the conversation gets worse, debating between the M3's and the Winter Sport 3D's but i've heard mixed reviews about those tires as well!

What do you guys think? I don't know how much "Performance" i'll really be gaining or losing with 17" winter, regardless if they're studless or performance. I doubt i'll be taking corners at speed, so why bother with the performance tires? Why? Because they were the same price as the WS-60's..and now I can't get them..WTF!

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver, I thought you already had the tires all along.... anyway Discount tire direct is probably trying to get you to buy their Hankooks.
I bet that Tirerack has the Dunlop M3s in stock becuse I literally just got my set from ups yesterday. Not sure how much the shipping would be to your area but I would definitely check it out. And I also would stay the hell away from the Blizzak WS line for the MS3. Blizzaks are awesome in deep snow.... but if your gonna take the ms3 on mainly plowed roads those blizzaks are going to get chewed up quick. The LM series are a good compromise ... not sure what they would go for because Ididn't check them out. Does anyone know if the 205 vs 215 translate to an increased speed discrepancy over oem on a 17 inch 50 rim?

I had the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on my RX8 for the past 3 winter seasons here in SE Michigan. Great tire in dry, wet and deep snow conditions. Tire feels like a nice all season, performance tire (as advertised).

Unfortunately, even though the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are 225's, I'll be putting them on the MS3 this year and likely next year too, as the tread is still very good. Plus they fit rim size 7" to 8.5". Over the past 2 days I've been shopping my 'tire options' for the winter season and think I'll use these until they are worn out, as buying dedicated rims, etc, is just too costly this year.

Where did you read about MI not plowing main roads this year? That doesn't sound right (legal / safe)?

I overheard it from a friend that they arn't plowing the side roads. Possibly the main roads, but they've got a real heavy budget to stay within I guess, for MI.

The fear I have with M3's is that they're still going to be just as squirmy as WS-60's only with slightly more cornering power. If you ask me what i'd rather have, i'd rather have total security in the snow, incase it hits. That's the whole point of having a 2nd set of winter's imo.

Why would the WS-60's get chewed up so fast? I really wonder how stiff suspension and soft tires would feel like. Probably like total ass. It'd probably be real hard to determine WTF the car is doing when the suspension is street tuned but the tires are soft as molasses.

I think I need to stick with my M3's. Those fuckers probably gave me way too good of a deal and he got reamed out by his manager or something. I'm going to call another Discount Tire and see if they have them in stock or something. See if this guy is bullshitting me.

Otherwise, i'd rather not get the LM-25's. I'm not very confident of the tread pattern, and I have heard too many negative reviews. The LM-22 tread pattern is seemingly better, but they can't find those ******* tires either. WTF!

Then again..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6q41akx7g

Last edited:
I had the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on my RX8 for the past 3 winter seasons here in SE Michigan. Great tire in dry, wet and deep snow conditions. Tire feels like a nice all season, performance tire (as advertised).

So you liked them? That's comforting atleast. And you said they're good in deep snow and slush atleast?

Unfortunately, even though the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are 225's, I'll be putting them on the MS3 this year and likely next year too, as the tread is still very good.

Just double check the overall diameter. The MS3 stock tires are 25.6'' in total diameter. I can say first hand that 26.3", even just that .7" will rub in the rear upon dips and speed bumps and driveways.

Thanks pdqgp, your right negligible but still the speed discrepancy is anywhere from two to three times as much using a 205 vs a 215. The mileage diff is also more than 3x. But all in all not that much of a big deal.

Uh, it's safe to say that unless his wheels & tires shrunk, there's no reason to think he'll have clearance issues now when he didn't have any from day 1. Plus the fact that if you got them from TireRack, I think they make certain they don't sell you a wheel & tire package that you can't safely run.
Uh, I know the wheels/tires aren't going to shrink. I meant more in the lines of brake cooling, objects getting stuck between the caliper/inside of wheels, etc. As for Tirerack, I'm sure they do, to the best of their abilities, make sure the wheel/tire combos fit the intended application safely. But I've also read, that people that have bought steel wheels have had rubbing issues and had to return them.

I found some Dunlop sp wintersport m3's
225/60/r16
Think they will fit my speed?
isnt 60 to big, or no?

You'll have a sidewall like an 1982 Buick at nearly 5.3" and they will likely touch the inside of the rear fender-wells. I tried .7" larger than stock and they touched on bumps and dips, driveways, etc....yours noted here will be .6 taller...not to mention you'll be about .4" wider...not sure if it will rub, but they won't do as well on snow as a narrower tire. I say 205 or 215 max.

So I spoke again with Discount Tire. Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are officially not available in warehouses, with no ETA's.

He offered to put me into a different set of tires, something that Michelin, Hankook or Bridgestone could offer with similiar performance and possibly a higher speed rating. And if i'm not satisfied, I can exchange the tires within 30 days. OR, buy the tires somewhere else and they'll still sell me the tires at that lower price.

Ultimately, we've got a pretty decent snow storm coming Monday, so I need to make a move like, tomorrow.

So I spoke again with Discount Tire. Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are officially not available in warehouses, with no ETA's.

He offered to put me into a different set of tires, something that Michelin, Hankook or Bridgestone could offer with similiar performance and possibly a higher speed rating. And if i'm not satisfied, I can exchange the tires within 30 days. OR, buy the tires somewhere else and they'll still sell me the tires at that lower price.

Ultimately, we've got a pretty decent snow storm coming Monday, so I need to make a move like, tomorrow.

What about the 3Ds, can they get those?... Ibelieve they come in 205 50 17, and they are quite similar to the M3.

Back