Windshield replacement question (2020 CX-5 GT)

Like I said, I speak from my own experience. My car is running and has been running without any problems, knock on wood.
Actually I did the same thing skipped rain sensor and SCBS laser recalibrations with my 2 windshield replacements.

Like I said, I speak from my own experience. My car is running and has been running without any problems, knock on wood.
yes there are two ways :) but of course the glass shops dont mention it. Its a cash cow and less to worry about.

with software calibration or with self/driving calibration. Both do the same at the end.
And as long as the installer installed everything as it has to be.

Or use your handy dandy FORscan app to calibrate the sensors 😁 ...

Screenshot_20230121-101934~2.png

I decided to go OEM. Safelite Autoglass did the install. Took them a little more than an hour including recalibration. It looks perfect. Tested the calibration (lane assist, emergency brake, OHD) and everything appears to be performing well. Cost out of pocket was about $411.

Apparently everything does not appear to be performing well. After replacement of windscreen (OEM) about 10 days ago, I ran the vehicle through a carwash yesterday. Near the end of the wash and during the final rinse before dry, the windshield sprung a leak from the top. I took it to Safelite this morning. They found the source of the leak. So it is back to the drawing board. They "ordered a part" as well as another windscreen just to be safe for an install this coming Friday. In the interim, I had them place a plastic strip to cover the leak in case we get some really bad weather (forecasted) in the next day or two in Western Massachusetts.

How unfortunate. They might have screwed laying out properly the glue/sealer on which the glass "sits" Thats the only thing that prevents leaks.
I would also look out for scratches on the top/A pillars frame. From time to time paint is scratched if the old glass is not removed carefully and those areas can rust. The molding hides it but after glass change always look/check all the edges around the glass and the painted car frame.

How unfortunate. They might have screwed laying out properly the glue/sealer on which the glass "sits" Thats the only thing that prevents leaks.
I would also look out for scratches on the top/A pillars frame. From time to time paint is scratched if the old glass is not removed carefully and those areas can rust. The molding hides it but after glass change always look/check all the edges around the glass and the painted car frame.
This whole glass replacement screen has turned in to quite an adventure. So, yesterday I ran the car once again through the wash hoping for no more leaks after the re-install. On that score it passed the test. However, on the passenger side of the windshield, I noticed a small scratch on the inside. For all purposes, the approximately one inch scratch looks quite insignificant and by no means a huge blemish. I decided to stop by Safelite on my way home this afternoon and they agreed the scratch was on the inside of the vehicle and was unlikely to get worse. They said since the OEM windshield was under warranty, they would once again replace the windshield next week. I agreed to it feeling momentarily bad for being perhaps picky. I then rationalized the replacement since I paid in excess of $400 for an OEM windshield.

Back