Windshield replacement question (2020 CX-5 GT)

:
W WA
:
2024 CX-5 Premium
I'm going to need to have the windshield replaced on my 2020 CX-5 GT, it has a 10" crack beginning in the lower corner on the passenger side. I can feel the chip where a rock or something struck the windshield so it's not a manufacturing defect. Insurance will cover it, just wondering if anyone has any tips for me around getting the replacement. Should I ask for OEM glass? Does that even matter? Anything else that I should be aware of?

I'm going to need to have the windshield replaced on my 2020 CX-5 GT, it has a 10" crack beginning in the lower corner on the passenger side. I can feel the chip where a rock or something struck the windshield so it's not a manufacturing defect. Insurance will cover it, just wondering if anyone has any tips for me around getting the replacement. Should I ask for OEM glass? Does that even matter? Anything else that I should be aware of?
For 2020 CX-5 GT you may not have any choice but OEM windshield which is expensive with acoustic glass. I’d definitely ask for OEM windshield which comes with pre-glued mounting brackets for all sensors and camera. If possible, based on Mazda Factory Workshop Manual, you should re-calibrate all sensors and camera, which is another expense to be aware.

There are a lot of very fine aftermarket parts out there, others are junk. I wouldn't take a chance on any repair with aftermarket parts if you have a choice and your out-of-pocket cost is the same. You'd have to be expert in who makes quality parts and who doesn't to avoid the junk and even then something might not work just right or last.

Insurance companies insist on aftermarket parts when the vehicle reaches a certain age and mileage. That's not your situation. I'd squawk pretty loud if an insurance company tried to send me somewhere for aftermarket parts on a vehicle that's a year old max.

I would offer one caveat. If you don't have the heads up display, the cost of an OEM replacment is $700 give or take, and your deductible is $500, you might consider whether having a claim on your record is worth $200. If the heads up display version is $2,000 you probably wouldn't view that as an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this will help, but...

Knowing I had a small rock chip in the windshield of my old BMW (which I still own) that was likely to get worse over time, plus the wanting a new windshield eventually due to spreckles from 15-years of kicked up road dust & debris, I took out my insurance company's (Geico) no-deductible glass insurance add-on that was only $60 a year. After a little research I cancelled it, having found out they use Safelite for replacements and insist on filler repairs for any cracks under 6 inches.

I also discovered was that Safelite's glass was known for having problems with rain sensors and they would not guarantee it working, not to mention being so-so quality to start with (both the glass and the install). In fact, according to multiple reports the only windshields that are truly reliable in that aspect would eitherbe OEM or Pikington, at least for that BMW model.

I ended up getting OEM from my local BMW dealer on a price match for $375 (as opposed to $675 MSRP plus about $50 for a new WS gasket). Then I paid $250 for installation by a highly rated installer. Yes, I could have had Safelite do it for, at most, half the price. But I felt $625 was well worth it (out of pocket) to know it was quality glass, installed correctly, and I would not lose my rain sensor nor have to worry about future leaks.

EDIT: BTW, when I mentioned a price match, that was my local BMW dealer's parts dept matching discounted prices I found from other BMW dealerships online. That saved me not only close to half the MSRP ($375 was for the windshield and gasket), but also an additional $50 or so in shipping, plus relieved any worries about breakage in-transit. Surprising how many dealers had Internet presences discounting OEM parts. I'm not sure if that's only because of the age of the vehicle or unique to the marque. But I'll sure shop around, and be willing to ask for a price match, if I ever need parts for our CX-5's.

Last edited:
The insurer agreed to pay for OEM windshield. It's apparently backordered from Mazda though so not sure when I'll be able to get the replacement. I'm willing to wait a while...

The insurer agreed to pay for OEM windshield. It's apparently backordered from Mazda though so not sure when I'll be able to get the replacement. I'm willing to wait a while...
Sometimes there’s no after-market windshield available for newer vehicles and the insurance has to pay the OEM price. The other thing you want to clarify with your insurance is if the insurance wants to cover the re-calibration of all sensors and camera on your 2020 CX-5 GT.

Recalibration is part of the windshield replacement process at Safelite, the preferred provider of my insurance company.

Recalibration is part of the windshield replacement process at Safelite, the preferred provider of my insurance company.
I have doubt that a Safelite shop would have Mazda’s proprietary computer and sizable equipments doing the re-calibration of sensors and camera, and they have to have different equipments for most other car brands too? When I had the windshield of my 2016 CX-5 GT replaced at a reputable local windshield shop a few years ago, they couldn’t do it and send me back to Mazda dealership.

I have doubt that a Safelite shop would have Mazda’s proprietary computer and sizable equipments doing the re-calibration of sensors and camera, and they have to have different equipments for most other car brands too? When I had the windshield of my 2016 CX-5 GT replaced at a reputable local windshield shop a few years ago, they couldn’t do it and send me back to Mazda dealership.
Safelite lists calibration as a service on their web site.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-camera-recalibration

I think there would be a siginificant liability risk for companies that replace windshields without recalibrating the safety systems.

Safelite lists calibration as a service on their web site.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-camera-recalibration

I think there would be a siginificant liability risk for companies that replace windshields without recalibrating the safety systems.
in addition to the re-calibration on forward sensing camera for LDWS and other functions, there’re laser sensor for SCBS and rain sensor for auto wipers and auto headlights, which also need to be re-calibrated according to Mazda factory workshop manual.

Safelite may have improved their windshield replacement with camera re-calibration, but they didn’t mention sensor re-calibration as described in Mazda Factory Workshop Manual. There’re few reports here that the Safelite had no idea about camera and sensor re-calibration during windshield replacement on CX-5. The funniest one was the owner of a CX-5 found the auto wipers aren’t working correctly after the windshield replacement. He went back to the Safelite taking the suggestion here, and found the Safelite tech physically “taped” the rain sensor onto the windshield which is an after-market version without pre-glued sensor mounting bracket!

Last edited:
Hello,
Perhaps my question is already answered on this thread, but pardon me if I persist.
A couple of days ago, I noticed a crack on my windshield (2017 GT). I stopped by Safelite on my way to an appointment. They said my windshield looked like it was hit by a small rock. And in the process of warming up my car remotely (following overnight ice and sleet weather), the rock chip apparently expanded to a crack across the passenger side. I have a next Friday windshield replacement, including calibration of the safety features that go with this model. I called Geico this afternoon and asked for an OEM replacement of the windshield. They said it would cost me about $400 more for OEM. Is it worth the extra money to go OEM? Otherwise, I am fully covered with Safelite's replacement. Please advise. Cheers!

Hello,
Perhaps my question is already answered on this thread, but pardon me if I persist.
A couple of days ago, I noticed a crack on my windshield (2017 GT). I stopped by Safelite on my way to an appointment. They said my windshield looked like it was hit by a small rock. And in the process of warming up my car remotely (following overnight ice and sleet weather), the rock chip apparently expanded to a crack across the passenger side. I have a next Friday windshield replacement, including calibration of the safety features that go with this model. I called Geico this afternoon and asked for an OEM replacement of the windshield. They said it would cost me about $400 more for OEM. Is it worth the extra money to go OEM? Otherwise, I am fully covered with Safelite's replacement. Please advise. Cheers!
Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. But read the thread first. No way I'd let Safelite touch any of my cars, and especially not one with the Cx-5's electronics involved.

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. But read the thread first. No way I'd let Safelite touch any of my cars, and especially not one with the Cx-5's electronics involved.
Ditto! There are alot of things to do DIY or let the local mechanic, etc do.

But with this, there are too many complexities involved and for that reason, I would get OEM glass and have mazda dealer do the install...

I am on my third windscreen in less than three years. The original one plus two more, all three OEM. First time I went to safelite, they quoted me 2300 $ with calibration and stuff. I looked for someone else, they did it for 1400 and I was happy, thinking that it was almost half the price Safelite asked for. On the second replacement I booked an OEM windscreen through Safelite but no calibration, I specifically said that all I wanted from them was the installation and that's it. So I ended up paying something like 500 maybe high 500s. I can only speak for myself, of course, but I think that the car is re-calibrating everything by itself, there is no need for a third party to do the calibration. As long as the technician installs everything back correctly, doesn't mess with the rain sensor and the video camera, the car will to the rest, no need to pay extra.

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I think that the car is re-calibrating everything by itself, there is no need for a third party to do the calibration. As long as the technician installs everything back correctly, doesn't mess with the rain sensor and the video camera, the car will to the rest, no need to pay extra.
Mazda Workshop Manual does say the recalibrations are required for sensors and camera installed on the windshield with windshield replacement. It can be just verification of sensor / camera position making sure the functioning is within specs. You can skip the recalibration, but you may not know every sensor is functioning correctly.

Like I said, I speak from my own experience. My car is running and has been running without any problems, knock on wood.

Latest posts

Back