Who else loves their CX-5?

For sure, last April I received a speeding ticket via speed trap in my 155 hp 3438 lb awd CX-5 (according to C&D). $300+ and completion of online traffic violator school course later, thankfully no conviction, no points, pay to play.

$300+? Construction zone or 16-25 above limit?
Should have gone to court and brought printouts of all of the "reviews" stating that the CX-5 is underpowered as evidence of your innocence :)

I love my cx5. It's my first leased vehicle but I love it like I own it. Good mpg and very ergonomic everywhere.
Awesome amount of cargo space and very good visibility all around. Excellent stopping power.
The only thing I would want is.... A Bigger fuel tank.

The only thing I would want is.... A Bigger fuel tank.

Glad you're loving your CX-5! It really is a great car.

On the bigger fuel tank, I believe the FWD has a 14.7 gal. tank as opposed to the 15.3 gallons on the AWD models.

Regardless, looking at your Fuelly stats, I notice you are averaging 30.1 MPG but only 295 miles per tank. That means, on average, you still have 4.9 gallons in your tank when you fill up. At 30.1 MPG, this equates to almost 150 miles (or three hours driving time). While I don't recommend pushing the limit and using every last drop, you are only using less than 2/3 (on average) of your tanks capacity. The fact is, most cars fuel gauges are set up conservatively to prevent you from running out of fuel. I have run my CX-5's trip computer down to "0 miles until empty" and even beyond by as much as 15 or 20 miles with no ill effects.

And don't believe the old wives tale that this is bad for your fuel pump. The fact is, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that flows through it, it does not depend upon being submerged in fuel for it's cooling. As long as you don't run it dry it will suffer no ill effects. Before fuel had 10% ethanol, it was a good idea to top off more regularly because this lessened the amount of air inside the tank (which could cause water condensation with abrupt changes in ambient temperature). The solution was to add some fuel drier which would cause the water to be absorbed into the fuel where it would actually help the engine burn more cleanly and run more efficiently. But fuel drier is nothing more than alcohol. Now, almost every tank sold comes loaded with fuel drier. That, combined with the fact that modern vapor emissions equipment does not allow fuel tanks to "breath" as they once did means that vapor condensation is no longer a problem. With these changes there is no longer the need to keep your tank topped off.

So, go ahead and use some of that extra 150 miles you are leaving in your tank (on average) every fill-up.

Had my CX-5 for a month now. Couple of minor TSB issues fixed at dealer but I'm still very happy with it.
If it had power folding mirrors (U.S. market), memory seat, 2nd row air vents, cooled seats and just a tad more hp I think it would be perfect.

Had my CX-5 for a month now. Couple of minor TSB issues fixed at dealer but I'm still very happy with it.
If it had power folding mirrors (U.S. market), memory seat, 2nd row air vents, cooled seats and just a tad more hp I think it would be perfect.

I couldn't agree more with ya.

Just came back from a 1000 mile trip to Montreal and Quebec City and Im loving the CX5. Fuel economy was great, I think around 36mpg (almost all of it highway and not really going over the speed limit). Was amazed at how many CX5 I saw in Canada.
And your CX5 survived our crappy roads!

Try driving through Staten Island, NY like my wife does commuting and even with that our CX-5 has been excellent! getting great MPG as well for the traffic conditions and lights at every damn corner. Can't complain, drives great, comfortable, stylish. I use the Navigation consistently as I am one of those rare Tom Tom fans it seems andI have had 0 issues withthat as well. Yeah the shuffle function not working at times on the headunit is annoying but something I can live with. Overall out of a 10 I would rate our CX-5 a 9.

I think it's an amazing SUV. I have a 2014 -touring. I love it. There a few little per peeves however. Why don't the power window switches and door lock light up at night??? Definitely a flaw design. Stereo could be a bit better. Other than that it's a 9/10

Lovin mine....2013 Touring AWD with the Bose/Moonroof package. Always wanted a moonroof....Can't wait to check it out when the snow starts flying.

Lovin mine....2013 Touring AWD with the Bose/Moonroof package. Always wanted a moonroof....Can't wait to check it out when the snow starts flying.

I have the same setup (with snow tires in the winter) and it is awesome in the snow! I put snow tires on mine because I am driving in mountain snow at least 50 days every winter. And the ski area I normally visit is world famous for the huge dumps of snow received on a regular basis. Very confidence inspiring.

Yes, still loving my CX-5!

I think love is a strong word but I do like my CX5. The only thing that is really bothering me is all the rattles especially now with cold temperatures.

But I think I found something that is really getting my attention:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/2015-chevrolet-colorado-revealed-diesel-la/

Depending on price and fuel economy this might replace my CX5.

The Colorado looks nice. Build quality might be questionable?
If your looking at that, why not Tacoma 4-door or you want diesel?

The Colorado looks nice. Build quality might be questionable?
If your looking at that, why not Tacoma 4-door or you want diesel?

Because the Tacoma is probably 10 years old right now. They are still selling the 2013 version with the same old engine (really bad fuel economy) and crappy interior.

Because the Tacoma is probably 10 years old right now. They are still selling the 2013 version with the same old engine (really bad fuel economy) and crappy interior.

Good point. I had one of the first 2005 Taco's in my area and it was bullet proof.

Last edited:
I think it's an amazing SUV. I have a 2014 -touring. I love it. There a few little per peeves however. Why don't the power window switches and door lock light up at night??? Definitely a flaw design. Stereo could be a bit better. Other than that it's a 9/10

I agree. I have a 2014 GT and really really wish the power window switches, door locks and the home link buttons light up at night.

I also wish the auto wipers would be a little more consistent; I never know when to expect them to turn on or how fast. I've messed with the sensitivity with no luck.

I agree. I have a 2014 GT and really really wish the power window switches, door locks and the home link buttons light up at night.

Yes, a common complaint especially when compared to premium cars. Besides unlit switches on doors, no glove box light, lack of AC higher-level vents at back of console for rear seat passengers, non-power passenger seat were also noted.

Back